Print Story Gig!
By ana (Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 05:49:54 PM EST) mfc, photo fun challenge, music, gigs (all tags)
This weekend.

Update [2007-1-8 23:5:51 by ana]:: ni and 256 Boston Roadtrip!

So this coming weekend, Coro Stella Maris is giving two concerts. Saturday night at St. John's Church in Gloucester, and on Sunday afternoon at Grace Church, in Salem. Details, including times and directions, are on the "concerts" page at that site.

In other news, toxicfur has worked 16 hours so far this week. It's Monday.

Also, comma, ooOOooo, about the photo fun challenge. A Certain Somebody, mentioned in the previous paragraph, got me a really spiffy camera for Christmas.

Don't think I'm going to have anything for the music fun challenge this time. Too much other music going on in my life in the last month or so.

Now about that Update [2007-1-8 23:5:51 by ana]:...

ni and 256 are doing a road trip, and will be arriving in the Boston area sometime on Friday, January 26th. They're moving on the following day, hoping to make Nantucket. If people would like to get together... They're staying overnight at our house. Perhaps we'll have a little get-together here at the house. Or we could take them out someplace, though somehow I bet my idea of a good place to go isn't shared by them...

< Second Annual Photo Fun Challenge! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Gig! | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WooT by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 06:32:25 PM EST

Cool, but why the hell do they want to go to Nantucket in January?

A get together would be cool, if perhaps mellow for their tastes.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

my tastes encompass mellow by 256 (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 06:43:27 PM EST
i mean, as we speak i am drinking a martini out of a port glass (aside: seriously, what is wrong with this house? not even a single martini glass? for how long can i continue to associate with such swine?) and preparing to settle down for an evening of civ4 over the lan.

and couldn't be happier.

also, as per nantucket, i believe our specific plans entail going into a variety of bars (starting at the harbour and spiralling outwards), ordering grog and addressing each other loudly as queequeeg, and taking side bets on how long before the first punch flies.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

also by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 06:59:57 PM EST
I think it's more of a summer town by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 07:22:34 PM EST

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

well certainly by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 07:26:17 PM EST
P-Town is hoppin by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 05:29:17 AM EST
in the winter!

Not as much as in the summer, but still. Of course, it depends a bit on which weekend.

The A House is open year round.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

It should be fairly dead by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 03:50:01 AM EST
A lot of Nantucket and the Vineyard close down in the summer.  A local's view.  I'll be interested to see how it all goes.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

i was born on an indian reserve by 256 (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 09:23:35 AM EST
just off james bay and spent my early childhood there.

my later childhood and adolescence i spent in a farming village cum resort town with a population of 300 in the winter and 2000 in the summer.

i spent a summer not too long ago planting trees in northern ontario about 120 km north of where the paved roads end. i made camp on the grounds of a hunting lodge which apparently bustles with rich folk come hunting season. of course, us treeplanters were long gone by then.

i'm no stranger to isolation nor to the charmed desolation of the offseason.

i'm really interested to see nantucket, but i doubt i would want to go there in the summer.

thank you for the link, it was a good read.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I've been once in the summer by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 03:54:48 PM EST
We moored with some friends in Nantucket Harbor for a few days, biked over the island and avoided as much of the busy tourist strip as we could.  The whaling museum was interesting, although they cut back to half the hours open, off season.

So, cool, you'll get it, then.  You do know that johnny and Dear Wife (who both are about as cool as they can get) live on Martha's Vineyard.  If you have time...

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

If it's out someplace by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 06:55:33 PM EST
I'm not sitting at the end this time so that I can hear what's going on. But I'm also sitting near iGrrrl again so that there's no pressure on me to hold up my part of the conversation.

ambiguous by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 06:59:39 PM EST
They're moving on the following day.

I may attend. by Corky Sherwood (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 02:28:01 AM EST
However, coming from here and having an evening of festivities there, i won't want to drive home to ME.  Can you put up a third body?  i'll come with my own air mattress and local brew as a bribe. :)

if not, perhaps iGrrrl could take me in?

this all hinges on a friends possible birthday party, so i'll let you know!

January 26th by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 03:02:38 AM EST
If plans firm up quickly enough I could swing it.  Friday night is usually town school sports night, so if it firms up fast enough I think I can get out having to do a campaign stop.

---------------
In re: road trip, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 04:03:42 AM EST
screw you geographically closer husites.

Some of us are down here near the equator, suffering all by ourselves, no ni to speak of.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

hey! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 12:49:57 PM EST
you were invited to make a road trip!
---------
Dance On, Gir!
You know, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 02:27:20 PM EST
it takes 12 hours to get out of Texas.

Twelve.

Hours.
---------------------------------

I suspect that by ni (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 08:38:37 PM EST
given very careful timing, a trip to Austin could be arranged. 256 and I have discussed it in passing before, and while it's at the very limit of workable road trip range, it may not be beyond it.

256: What are you searching for? mx: Kaola penis. 256: Why aren't you using image search?
Oh, I dunno. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:57:19 AM EST
You'd only have to drive to Texas once to see how horrifying it truly is.

No need to kill yourselves.  If I can't meet you halfway, then I suck.
---------------------------------

define half way by 256 (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 01:46:54 PM EST
i bussed to texas once (through texas actually, as part of misslake's and my epic toronto-mexicoDF bus ride). it didn't seem so bad.

btw, it takes 24 hours to get out of ontario, driving northwest.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I'm in by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 05:32:37 AM EST
Post sundown suburbia poses difficulties, but I'll manage.

But isn't toxic/ana's hometown a dry town?
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

It's a dry town, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 05:36:50 AM EST
but we certainly don't have a dry house.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
there's water in the basement by ana (2.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:18:05 AM EST
again??

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

:-p by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:25:47 AM EST

-----
I just didn't want by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:36:13 AM EST
to give the fellows the heebie jeebies.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
Dry town??? by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 02:27:28 PM EST
And you wonder why leaving the safety of the city scares me so.

You seem... by ana (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 03:25:35 PM EST
to have survived a brief visit... It kind of gives the place a small town feel in the midst of the booming metropolis.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

26th sounds cool by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 10:51:29 AM EST
... whatever ends up happening for it. Is there a pool hall we can take over, or is that too square?

Won't be able to make it to the weekend gigs, alas. Am I covering for you on Sunday?

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn

Sunday... by ana (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 11:18:52 AM EST
Not clear yet. For now the call is 2:30, which would involve leaving around 1:30. If things go well Saturday, it might be pushed back to 3:00. I'll at least log in at the beginning of the writing chat (slashnet channel #writing, 1pm eastern, for the rest of you, be there, aloha) and we'll see from there.

Hmm... Pool hall. The only one I know of is Flat Top Johnny's, near the Kendall Square cinema. Yeah, I don't get out much.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Flat Top Johnny's by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 02:07:25 PM EST
has PBR. And darts, too, IIRC. I've had fun the few times I've been there (except for the whole apologizing to the waitress for my brother being a drunk jerk part).
-----
im there :) by horrorgeek (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 11:48:02 AM EST
looking forward to meeting you, as well.

the concert... by ana (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 11:57:25 AM EST
was last weekend. The "update" is about the visit of ni and 256, which is 26 January. You're welcome to come, to whatever it is we decide to do. If you want to come to the concert, you're gonna hafta hurry ;-)

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin