Print Story ATTENTION USIAN TAX PAYING INFIDELS
Software
By barooo (Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:09:00 AM EST) (all tags)

Anyone use turbotax?

I have my 2 w2's, my 2 mortgage forms, something from my dad's life insurance policy that I pay the premiums on, something from KS & MO about last year's refunds, and something about my 401k transfer from one plan into another.  In other words, a whole stack of paper.  I don't want to pay a lot, because the one year I had H&R Block do them it was about $300.  Last year I did them myself and it was like 12 hours of hell, and I still wasn't sure that they were right.  Plus, turbotax runs on a mac, and they are a client of $ad_agency.  Hmm...  I wonder if I get a discount...

Update [2007-1-31 16:53:29 by barooo]: I ran to costco at lunch, they had it for about 20% off. I may give it a whirl tonight.

< Sentimental Yearning | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ATTENTION USIAN TAX PAYING INFIDELS | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)
I use my dad's copy of Turbotax by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:22:30 AM EST
and even when I had book income ( with all sorts of deductions for expenses), losses on the car, rental property and a few interest statements, TurboTax handled it.

It takes me around two hours to do our taxes.

When my taxes were really nuts... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:33:33 AM EST
when I had income from three jobs in two states, and one of them was self-employment, I used TurboTax. It wasn't all that complicated (I think I did most of it in an afternoon), and I haven't been audited (knock on wood...), so I think the government was happy enough.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
Taxs??? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:37:16 AM EST
I don't even have all my forms yet. Bastards.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Bob by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 05:15:30 PM EST
It's against the law for you to NOT have your forms now.

Click
i use turbo tax on the web by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:00:16 AM EST
I like it, and keep going back to it.

IAWTP by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:19:03 AM EST
And if you have a Fidelity account, it's ½ price. That may be true for other brokers too, but YMMV.

Oops, I misspoke. It looks like it's only 35% off this year.
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together

ME TOO!!! by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 10:02:51 AM EST
I started with http://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/ which provides online tax prep for free if you are low income.

I've stayed with Turbotax because it's so convenient. They save all my info from year to year and automatically update.

TurboTax!!!

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

We have by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:03:25 AM EST
My wife and I have used TurboTax or H&R's TaxCut for years.  We have mostly used TurboTax, however.  It imports from last year, is clear and easy to use, online updates itself after install.

Nice software, worth the money, IMHO.

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

It doesn't run on Linux by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:29:53 AM EST
So I don't use it.

Heck, my income is simple enough that I just sit down with the 3 W-2s from last year, the 1040a, and the Va form, and do it in about two hours.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

simple. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:46:34 AM EST
mine are usually simple.

that said, turbo tax --- the first year i tried it --- pointed out that i could save a lot of money by claiming my state income tax as an itemized deduction, which i'd never done before. so i keep going back to them.

I don't have enough deductions to itemize by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:09:54 AM EST
The standard deduction has always been larger than itemizing would be.

That said, this year I had some high medical bills, so I'm going to see if itemizing works for me. Shouldn't take long, as I've been tracking the medical all year.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i wouldn't by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:14:25 AM EST
except that my state taxes paid are OF THEMSELVES more than the standard deduction.
Ditto property tax. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 09:26:51 AM EST
that's why i use TT on the web by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 09:30:06 AM EST
it works on linux.

I'm a Taxcut fan by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:39:58 AM EST
For the past two years, TaxCut Online has done everything I've needed it to do. That's pretty impressive given how complicated my taxes are with several rental properties, part time income from business ventures, etc. This year, they failed it because the online version doesn't have the schedules you need for the tax credit available if you've purchased a high efficiency furnace or water heater.

The non-online version does have those forms so we're using that. The non-online versions also generally have better help and explanations. I've always been kind of baffled why they don't use the same engine for both. In the early years, it kind of sort of made sense because web servers didn't always have the processing power needed to simultaneously do that much heavy lifting for very many users. But that shouldn't be an issue in this day and age.

Cicero, The Republic
TaxAct by jad3675 (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:59:49 AM EST
I swear by TaxAct; it's easy to use and free.

I use it by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:15:32 AM EST
on the web every year, and it's really quite nice. Once I figured out how to put in the fact that I've been buying my mutual funds in my retirement fund all along, so I have no idea when any given sold asset was bought.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

TurboTax by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 08:19:51 AM EST
Every year, for the past 10 or so years. It seems to ask all the right questions, I've been very happy with it. Like Mr. Ha says, typically a couple hours even with itemized deductions and investment income.

I'm going to try it this year by theboz (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 10:40:40 AM EST
Up until last year my taxes were too complex for me to deal with (consulting, 1099-MISC for my paychecks, working and residing in different states, etc) but this past year I was W2 all year and in the same state the whole year. The only unusual thing for me is that I bought a house, but I know Turbotax can easily account for that. Plus, there are no state income taxes for me to deal with, which further removes my need for the accountant.
- - - - -
I use what I call "An Accountant" by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:02:45 PM EST

Which, while he doesn't run on OS X, will run on dollar bills. God, I miss the days of simpler taxes. And less taxes. And no taxes. Oh, to be five again...

ATTENTION USIAN TAX PAYING INFIDELS | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)