Print Story Waiting...
By ana (Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 11:28:13 AM EST) whatever, waiting (all tags)
5 hours and counting.

So last week and the one before I went in for an ultrasound and a rerun of the blood tests from December.

Yesterday i got a letter from the specialist. At the bottom she'd scrawled please contact me. we'll discuss.

At 11 this morning I attempted to do that. Knowing, of course, that there was no chance of getting through on the first try. The inner circle acolyte assured me that she was with a patient, and would call me back as soon as she had a chance.

Five hours ago, now.

In some ways, I'm glad people who depend on what I do don't wait with baited breath for me to finish. Especially since it seems to take a year to generate and verify a product.

I guess it's not that urgent; the tests seem to be normal, at least for now. So, *shrug*.

One reason this cuts such a hole in my day is that I have some trouble focusing on what I want to ask a doctor. So I wrote myself some notes, and from time to time I review them, so they'll be fresh in my mind when the moment of professional attention arrives.

I think this kind of thing is my own personal version of hell. I once spent a very long 20 hours in the Cincinnati airport, where one of the most precious commodities was the carefully rationed time of airline agents. So I wandered from gate to gate, signing up on standby for flights out, asking for status reports. Finally got out the afternoon after I'd arrived. Put in a doctor's office that's never actually staffed, and it's perfect. "You need this? You can't have any."

All that, and I had a pretty poor excuse for a roast beef sandwich, just because I could get it quickly and get back to waiting. So my tummy is earpy. And I'm sleepy.

Enough whining. The weekend was really excellent, in so many ways. And toxicfur whipped us up a batch of garlic's chicken recipe last night, which is seriously yummy.

Whatever. Post this sucker.

< Dear Diary | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Waiting... | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
waiting for dimitri by misslake (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 12:25:40 PM EST
in uni, me and c.c.grr had a particular state of mind that we called waiting for dimitri.

it was one of those days where you felt like you were forced to fucking WAIT, just WAIT there by the rest of the world. you coudl not continue doing ANYTHING that you wanted as you had to wait.
c.c.grr at one point said to me, "you know, if prince charming showed up Right Now, i'd actually ride off with him."
"you're right. fuck this. fuck uni, fuck everyone. where's prince charming when i need him?!?"
"we'd better get changed and put on our makeup. you know, so we're ready for when he shows"
"what do you think he'll look like?"
"tall, dark and handsome, of course. here, i'll plug in my curling iron"
"think he'll be brown?"
"no, well, maybe a little. like maybe he's greek."
"i bet he's named Dimitri"

so we got ready, left our res rooms and our phones and our computers. we sat in the front foyer of the res and waited. for dimitri.
when ever anyone passed us, we told them that we were waiting. for dimitri. it was vague and mysterious enough that few people inquired further. besides, we were all dressed up and clearly waiting to be taken somewhere.

from then on, whenever i'm lonely, bored, tired of waiting, held up by outside forces, unable to continue through no fault of my own, i often get dressed and leave the house.
i go and watch and wait for dimitri.

don't bait that breath by persimmon (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 01:24:51 PM EST
it might bite.

I know I am far from the only person you know who works in healthcare, but I am always willing to help you out with such things if I can.

Unless there's a midterm tomorrow, in which case I'm slightly less willing.
-----
"Nature is such a fucking plagarist."

'preciate it by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 03:22:42 PM EST
teh intarwebs have a wealth of information these days.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

waiting for doctors... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 01:30:38 PM EST
...is a pet peave of mine (as most here well know by now).

hopefully your news is simple and good.

here's hopin'!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

pet peeve* by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 03:33:19 PM EST
I bet you can guess what mine is...

humanity? by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 07:55:55 PM EST

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I hadn't thought of that one [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 08:23:11 PM EST

ya know... by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 03:50:11 AM EST
...i trusted firefox to catch that for me.

peave.  peeve. (seeing which it underlines)

on the mac, peave was just fine.  i questioned it, but not enough to say, pop it into a real spell checker.

i guess the mac really is inferior to 'doze.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah by debacle (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 05:48:12 AM EST
Windows OS X Vista is way ahead of the curve.

7:15 by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 02:48:44 PM EST
She called back. We're watching and waiting. No symptoms, most of the blood work is normal, so we'll do it again in 3 months and see.

Long day for the doc, I guess. At least she figured out that I was unlikely to be in my office that late.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Actually, I'm impressed by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 04:44:09 PM EST
a lot of doctors would consider it no big deal to just keep you waiting until tomorrow (when they'd have another busy marathon day).
Glad things seem okay.