Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 03:36:45 AM EST) A Day in the Life, dumbass coders, line breaks, Citrix, pie (all tags)
Give me a Break!

If you're a programmer and you use an editor which helpfully makes long lines more readable by automatically wrapping text, make sure you turn off that feature before you check in your fucking code.

bc_lpService = this; //hive the THIS pointer;
}
// FIXLIST: Finalize and move to the right module, not SYSCORE.DLL
Initialize(NULL);

ASSERT(bc_lpServiceName);
The FIXIT comment was never removed despite having, in fact, been fixed. The initialize command never took place because there was no line feed between the end of the goddamned comment and the command so the module couldn't initialise. It took three months to track this one down.

x-posted to da brog.

In other news, $BigAssTelco is having the same Citrix problem that everyone else using Presentation Server 4 has had. Apparently Citrix and Microsoft have short memories. Citrix told $BigAssTelco that it was Microsoft's fault and the Microsoft guy said we'd come up with a fix for other customers. Not quite.

It should be a 17. Normally I'd make it a Root Cause: 13-Unsupported/Third Party but since I need to up my defect stats it's going down as a Root Cause: 1-Defect. We have a defect ticket for it which is closed since it's not our defect, but that's one less stat to worry about.

I still have to fill out my semi-annual self-evaluation. It's the 29th and Vera's screaming for it. Unfortunately I had to change all my passwords and couldn't get into our self-eval app last week. The site on which it's done is currently down for planned maintenance. This matters not to Vera. There's no point to filling it out; whatever I write is ignored, whatever I've done is forgotten, and on a scale of 1-5 I'll inevitably be given 3s across the board, so why bother?

< Winter Wolf | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
C++ style comments by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:33:40 AM EST
In no other instance in C or C++ is a lf/cr meaningful in any way (except as whitespace). I think. Insist on use of /* */ (do your worst, auto-format) to annoy the fuck out of people.

Who the hell uses a word-wrapping editor for code anyway? Are they insane?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

In a string literal? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:52:22 AM EST
Or am I remembering wrong?

Or perhaps being a pedantist?

Problem with /* */ by squigs (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:35:51 AM EST
Comments are part of the preprocessorwhich uses lf/cr to terminate most expressions.  I rather wish it wouldn't since this makes macros rather more ugly than I'd like.

It's one of the few parts of C notation that can't be nested (functions being the only other example I know).  Nested comments would often be useful.

macros by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:43:53 AM EST
#define is another instance where lf/cr is meaningful.

I wonder if the editor is vi, which visually wraps code. Not that I've ever known anyone make that particular error with it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

What? by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:31:48 AM EST

The syntax highlighting didn't tip you off?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Since when does Notepad highlight´? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:51:20 AM EST
Is that something new in Vista?

No one actually started looking into the application code as the possible source of the error until a couple weeks ago, and the guys who did it are command line freaks. None of that girly-man gooey shit.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Sorry. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:55:59 AM EST

I thought you said programmer.

----