Print Story Bulleted Saturday
By Kellnerin (Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 04:51:30 PM EST) (all tags)
Quotes, briefly.

• "Let's go laugh now." --mrGrrrl, after seeing Pan's Labyrinth.
  • 256: We're not quite sure where we parked. It's Concourse D, under the Boston Common. Kellnerin: Well, at least it's probably finite.
    256: Well, ni's not so sure. He thinks it may intersect with a fractal dimension.
  • iGrrrl: The diaries were really funny. Did I really say that?
    toxicfur: Well, she wasn't drunk, so you can trust her. But she also writes fiction.
  • "ni, your boss is in the modem again!" -- speculation at the opposite end of the table from ni
  • "You can't beat a million rubber duckies." -- conclusion of a discussion begun by ana
  • toxicfur after being flipped off by iGrrrl: I win!
    iGrrrl flipping off ana: And for the bonus round ...
    aethucyn: But there's such an elegance to that gesture.
    iGrrrl covering her ears: lalala ...
< 2007.01.27: "Blood and Chocolate" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Bulleted Saturday | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You can't beat a million rubber duckies by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 05:03:16 PM EST

Hrm ...

... I haven't decided whether that's "there's nothing better than a million rubber duckies" or "playing whack-a-mole with a million rubber duckies will tire you out and you'll never get them all" or "if it's you versus a million rubber duckies, you'll lose. Every time."

who says ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 05:19:45 PM EST
it can't be all of the above?

I had a teacher in junior high (I have told this story before), a very unpopular teacher, who loved to say "You can't fight City Hall with meatball sandwiches." (This was hardly ever relevant to the topic at hand, as it is not relevant now.)

However, it is also true that you can't beat a million rubber duckies with meatball sandwiches. Parse that as you will.

The class I had with the above teacher was always scheduled right before or right after lunch, or both (with 25 minutes of class, a 25-minute break for lunch, then the balance of class following). He had a habit of dismissing class with the phrase, "Let's go to lunch," whether we had already eaten lunch or not.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn

Hmmm by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 11:41:21 PM EST

As I understood it, the only way to fight City Hall is with meatball sandwiches.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
well, by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 05:15:27 AM EST
none of us respected this teacher all that much. If he couldn't tell whether we'd gone to lunch yet or not, I wasn't going to trust him on the subject City Hall battle tactics.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
pan's labyrinth by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 07:44:59 PM EST
I started giggling when he was sewing his mouth back up. I mean really.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 08:17:06 PM EST
...cheered and pumped my fist when she stabbed him, stabbed him again, slit his mouth, and threatened to kill him if he touched Ofelia.

yeah by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 10:21:22 PM EST
that was some seriously satisfying violence.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I refuse by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 07:01:59 AM EST
to ask anyone ever about any tricks involving a banana.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat
I can't hear you... by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 08:09:54 AM EST
I have a banana in my ear.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

did I ever tell you ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 11:26:14 AM EST
how, in my days at the Publishing Conglomerate they once produced tie tacks in the shape of the Conglomerate logo, and gave one out to everyone, with a letter saying that from now on, it would be the one-year anniversary "gift" for all employees, and how they hoped we'd wear them with pride?

There was a bulletin board on the intranet at the time, and someone started a thread about the logo giveaway. "What is it? A pin? An earring? A tie tack? Who wears tie tacks anymore? Help me, I want to wear it with pride!"

Most memorable reply to the thread: "What? I can't hear you, I've got a logo in my ear."

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn

Bananae sunt omnia... by ana (4.00 / 2) #10 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 09:29:07 AM EST
in tres partes divisae.

So it turns out that bananas naturally cleave into three parts, lengthwise. If they're not ripe enough, it doesn't work well; if they're too ripe, they just squish when you squeeze them. If you get one just as the last of the green fades from the (discarded) peel, and squeeze it just so, it'll split, nay, cleave, into its native tripartate longitudinal goodness.

It'll also cleave to your fingers, of course.

"A true nerd," said iGrrrl, "would run out and buy bananas to try it."

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

I'd do that regularly as a kid. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 08:01:10 PM EST
Oh, I'm doomed.

Rubber Duckies by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 03:08:57 PM EST
I saw a paper, published in Eos, a newspaper-like weekly put out by the American Geophysical Union, about the following incident:

Seems that in 1992 a cargo ship lost a container over the side, mid-Pacific. Which contained 29,000 bathtub toys, on their way to market in the US. Ever since then, they wash up on beaches in their ones and twos. Seems it's a fascinating way of tracking the ocean currents. The article also mentions MIBs (messages in bottles), little containers tossed overboard by ships at known times and places, with a note inside saying "please return to..." with date and location where you found it. But the duckies are a once in a lifetime opportunity: an accidental release of thousands of test particles in the same place, all at once.

It makes me giggle, thinking of thousands of yellow duckies, loose on the open Pacific.

I believe I said there were a million of them at dinner. Parse that as you will.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

AGU by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 06:16:58 PM EST
No. by ana (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 02:06:26 AM EST
Same incident, but now they've followed the duckies through 4 trips around the north pacific gyre or whatever it's called, and a few into the Bering Sea. This was probably in December 2006.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

indeed by 256 (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:40:21 AM EST
it turned out that, though concourse D was bounded, its parkign spots were arranged in a hilbert curve.

also, from later saturday:

"From Hell's heart I overfish thy cod."

and, holding a two thirds full bottle of maker's mark:

"I'm not sure if it's illegal to bring an opened bottle of liquor across the border, but I'm willing to pretend."

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

well, by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 06:52:42 AM EST
as long as the Nantucket rum made it back to .ca with you.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn