Print Story Jukebox Discotheque
By Kellnerin (Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:03:01 PM EST) (all tags)
A cold Friday evening in town with some Husi-folk.

But first, have you voted on the WFC5 stories yet? If not, why not? We made them hard for writers to execute but easy to read -- so check them out and vote for your favorites. There's some good stuff there.

NORTH STATION IS SPIFFIER than when I saw it last. The expansion seems almost complete and they've started to install seating, although that is mostly roped off for no apparent reason. However, even with three out of the five doors to the platforms blocked off, the place is still really damn cold inside on a night like this.

I GOT TO THE RESTAURANT a little later than the appointed time, and found that aethucyn, who had counted on being early, was the only one there. ad hoc joined us soon thereafter and then toxicfur came with iGrrrl, 256, ni, and MissTrish, with ana following soon after. Everyone but aethucyn and I was asked "have you been here before?" and neophytes were given some speech about their beer selection which I didn't hear because no one asked if I wanted the speech.

The calamari was good, though, because it's never too early for cephalopods.

I ordered the "Dreaded Green Monster" because, as aeth pointed out, "you have to face your fears," though as it was a chicken pesto sandwich, it was really more tasty than it was scary. It came with marinara sauce on the side -- we could only assume it was for those for whom pesto was, indeed, too frightening, or perhaps it was to facilitate making B-movies with nothing but a handheld video camera and some simple brew pub fare.

aethucyn gave me a book that is very funny for incredibly obscure reasons. This is good, because I just finished the nonfiction book I had been reading (although I should probably read the ones that I have from him on loan, rather than outright gifts, first).

TOXICFUR BORROWED 256's HAT, and tried to solicit opinions from around the table. She claimed that she couldn't trust ana, on account of ana's loving her and all, and iGrrrl said that in that case, she had to recuse herself too. So ni noted, "Well, I've been poisoning you slowly by adding drops of mercury in your drink."

"And what do you think of the hat?" I asked.

"I think it's awesome."

I tried to make a hat for ni, but the napkin needed to be more starched.

AT ONE POINT during an otherwise serious conversation, iGrrrl said, "I don't think I could sanction death over dairy products."

I think I left CRwM a rather incoherent phone message, and I was totally not even drunk. The essence of the message was, in the end, "CRwM CHECK YOUR EMAIL. Tomorrow."

256 ASKED IF I WAS going to go home afterwards and fold origami, or something. I said, "No, I'll probably do something lamer, like go refresh the WFC poll." (Vote, damnit, vote!)

I did that, and then I wrote this diary.

< A Friday Diary. Fridiary. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Jukebox Discotheque | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
"If not, why not?" by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:07:48 PM EST

Because I haven't read them yet. But I promise to do so before the voting deadline. And then I might vote. Or not.

you must vote! by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:20:01 PM EST
It is your duty. But read them first. I do not condone voting without reading.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
shouldn't you be working on by 256 (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:14:01 PM EST
some sort of rail-based business plan?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I'm on it by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:25:19 PM EST
You are totally gonna be my bargaining chip with investors who aren't buying into the rail-based part of the overall strategy.

I'm also trying to work out the coffee part of the equation. I recently discovered that coffee from East Timor is pretty damn good -- who knew? If only I could work out some kind of steady source, and put it on rails, I think this could be huge.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn

trust me by 256 (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:32:34 PM EST
those aren't the kind of investors you want anyway
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
truer words by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Jan 26, 2007 at 07:34:26 PM EST
were never posted on Husi.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
Not Sumatra? by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 09:51:20 AM EST
I was counting on the Sumatra.

sadly, by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 10:05:46 AM EST
D and I haven't had very good luck with the Sumatra (though Ethiopian is not bad), so imagine our particular surprise when East Timor turned out to be a winner. Still, should this all come to pass, I wouldn't be adverse to serving some Sumatra, especially if you've got a connection that could hook us up.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
coo by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 10:55:36 AM EST
one of my bosses did peace corps in east timor.

and aphrael... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Jan 27, 2007 at 02:21:09 AM EST
got a slightly drunken phone call, because [a] SFHuSi drinks were starting as BHuSi drinks were breaking up, and [b] I happened to have his cell number on my phone. iGrrrl left him a message that could only be described as slinky. We were on the train halfway home by the time he returned the call, much of which consisted of "what? I'm on a train. With no coffee."

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin