Print Story Beelzebub
By Herring (Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:09:05 AM EST) stuff, things (all tags)
has some stuff put aside for me

Bloody Catholics. To quote the late, great Hicks: "I'm sorry if anyone here is a Catholic. I'm not sorry if you're offended, I'm just sorry you're a Catholic".

My view: in a contest of rights, the sexuality that people are born with beats dumb superstition every time.

Can't find a source now, but according the NHS Blog Doctor, a Jade Goody fan posted a comment on her website to the effect that Shilpa deserved to be treated badly because her people had never apologised for 9/11. Right.

I have 1.5 days holiday left until the end of March. I wish they would get on and tell me that I've had too many sickness absences* to qualify for a bonus. Then I can relax and throw a couple of sickies.

I wonder how long before HuSi is Websensed again. If it's before I hit "Submit" I shall be a little miffed.

Small Boy's party on Saturday. Oh good - a whole bunch of the little darlings.

*Apparently, taking a couple of days off, then coming in for a day, realising it hurts like fuck and taking another couple of days counts as two occurences and is penalised rather than rewarded.

< A Sign Of The Times | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Beelzebub | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
From b3ta.com by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:45:53 AM EST
>> Jade Goody fansite forums <<
  The major entertainment story of the week
  seems to have come from Celebrity Big Brother,
  with chav extraordinaire Jade mining a deep
  vein of racism in her spat with Bollywood
  actress Shilpa Shetty. As you'd expect, her
  fansite's forums make for some mighty fine
  reading and it's nigh-impossible to tell the
  trolls from Jade's more 'speshul' fans.
  Standout quotes: "EYE CUN NOT BALIEVE HOW
  JAYLEOUS U ALL R!" and "Why has Shilpa not
  apologised for 9/11?" Yup, it's that good.

Galileo, Galileo, etc, etc.

My favourite nhsblogdoc post this week has been this (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/v/rRwHxQDtMWU . It really redefines 'head up your own arse', I think.

Chances of those links working from here: by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:53:08 AM EST
very low.

It's the beginnings of a title/intro theme. Maybe tomorrow "I would do anything for stuff".

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)

I won't do that by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:00:46 AM EST
at least I wouldn't if I were you.

People can get upset about an excess of Meatloaf.

Neither of the links are particularly fruitful, but the Jade Goody one may well have set you up for an afternoon's trolling.

Shilpa's mother has a sharp tongue by anonimouse (4.00 / 4) #2 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:46:43 AM EST
That's why she is Ma Shetty

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Contest of rights? by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:51:37 AM EST
Why can't they shut down if they don't like the rules they'd be forced to play under?

I can't see the alternative - some sort of law requiring that they continue to run institutions that they no longer want to be a part of?

I think you'd be happy to see them get out of the adoption biz. After all, they get government funding and I can't imagine you want taxes going to support them. Besides, I'm certain secular groups will easily and happily take up the slack - sure the Catholics place a third of the problem cases - but that's not even a full 5% of all the placements in the UK.

Two problems by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:59:14 AM EST
  1. It's the tone I don't like. It's comes across as blackmail.
  2. Yes, the fact that the government funds faith based organisations to do stuff is not right. However, under Tony it seems to be on the increase. I wonder where he got the idea ...
One of Mrs. H.'s friends had a sister who was alcoholic. The government provided services failed her - the mental health people said she was depressed because she was alcoholic and the substance abuse people said she was alcoholic because she was depressed. The only other services this woman could be referred to were Christian based. A depressed alcoholic Hindu couldn't deal with that. She's dead now.

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. H's friend. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:06:31 AM EST
That's very sad.

Wow. The NHS really /does/ suck, doesn't it. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:23:46 AM EST
Here in the US there are secular, government run (or funded) detox and rehab programs. Most employer provided health plans also cover that sort of thing.

And there's also AA which, while not strictly secular, has no problem accommodating people of many different faiths. Or even no faith whatsoever.

As far as "depressed because she was alcoholic/alcoholic because she was depressed", the two go hand in hand. Alcohol is, after all, a depressant. Neither one of those two groups would work to treat the alcoholism first. and worry about the depression later? Or treat the depression first, and then the alcoholism?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Targets and micromanagement by Herring (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:36:18 AM EST
is the issue here. Rather than having a "treat people" ethos, the government created all these different services, meaning that mental health and drug & alcohol were separated. If someone has both problems (which, as you say, is going to happen a lot) then they run the risk of being bounced from one to the other.

Unless you can afford to go private...

One other thing which makes me apprehensive: with this damned silly centralised NHS IT thing (why do all government initiatives involve giving huge amounts of money to big corps?), all medical records get made available all over the NHS. Naturally there are worries about security of this data. Now, if you were in the positition of thinking "I might be drinking too much, maybe I should speak to my doctor". Would the fact that this information might not be secure affect your decision to seek treatment?

The one sucky area, IME, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:42:39 AM EST
and it's a huge one, is mental health.

You really are better off going private. I have no idea why it's not a national disgrace. Actually, I know full well why, but still.

I know why by Herring (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:47:58 AM EST
Because anybody who complains about their treatment is clearly barking mad.

Of course, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:58:04 AM EST
Because all types of mental illness result in psychosis, as any fule Daily Wail kno.

Ah! Ah! Ah! by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:40:19 AM EST
Alcohol is, after all, a depressant.

GAH!

Depressant, as in "makes your head slow down," not in the mental health sense. Opposite of stimulant, you dig?

god I'm petty

in a contest of rights by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:53:50 AM EST
But don't your realize that Islam (and, thus, arabs) believes the same thing about gays that the Catholic Church does? And that, therefore, refusing to exempt religious bodies (such as Islam) from these requirements would be racist?

You're not some racist right-winger,are you?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Troll by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:02:50 AM EST
Religion != race.

Damn. I bit.

At the moment, I don't think we have Muslim organisations providing public services like this. Yet.

Who? Me? /Troll/? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:10:51 AM EST
Me? Never!

Well, hardly ever.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Don't get all Gilbert and Sullivan on me [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:24:06 AM EST

Oh, I am the very model of a modern major by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:26:47 AM EST
trollerizer!

G&S is lots of fun, and resonates well with modern concerns.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Keep up the good work with the titles by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:50:19 AM EST
My flatmate told me it was a friend of his who did the now famous Shilpa/9-11 Jade Goody message board troll. I'm inclined to believe him - good effort in any case.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Adoption placement by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:50:55 AM EST
Not sure I entirely agree with this one. Whilst not biting on the "gays are unsuitable adopters" premise, I do think children are less likely to be prone to bullying and some form of emotional in later life if their parents are a natural mother/ father combi.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Yeah by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 3) #19 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:20:30 AM EST
Because growing up in an infidelity-ridden den of iniquity is SO much better.

I've always wanted to find by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:02:55 AM EST
A den of iniquity. Do you have directions?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
do you have a mirror? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:02:09 AM EST

More prone perhaps by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 06:52:37 AM EST
But believe me, the little fuckers will just find some other excuse to make their life hell. Christ, just having been adopted will likely be enough, and woe betide them if they're too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, too clever, too stupid, too different, too ordinary, too lacking in anything to bully them about or just plain too in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Issues? What issues? I don't have any issues...

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Oh and Catholics by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:07:45 AM EST
Cardinal Murphy-O'Connor:

"We believe it would be unreasonable, unnecessary and unjust discrimination against Catholics for the government to insist that if they wish to continue to work with local authorities, Catholic adoption agencies must act against the teaching of the church and their own consciences by being obliged in law to provide such a service."

DIE. DIE. DIE. DIE.

Anyway, wouldn't we better off without Catholic adoption agencies if they're going to indoctrinate children with hate?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Surely, by Herring (4.00 / 2) #18 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:12:22 AM EST
the Catholic priesthood knows what's best for children.

Did you see by Herring (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:50:40 AM EST
Gralyings latest top rant. I like it.

WIPO by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:20:35 AM EST
I'm not dictator.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Beelzebub | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback