Print Story on tiny updates
By clock (Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:49:42 AM EST) babies, boobies, music, whining (all tags)
"why are you pulling the hair on my leg?"

"because i want you to hurt."

"huh.  ...ok...  i'm so putting that in my diary."

"whatever."

last friday was a long time coming.  the week was for shit work-wise and we were both exhausted.  the nausea is a full-time thing now and we're both quite sick of it.  i feel awful that she's as down as she is.  everyone around her is excited but she can't be because she's busy trying to hold down her crackers.

it's a little disturbing that vomit is a perfectly normal part of our lives.  examples?  every day when i pick her up from work, my wife gets into the car, i start to back out. she says (very calmly) "stop." i pause, she opens the door, wretches twice, closes the door.  she looks at me and says "ok" and i drive us home.  note that she does not try to kiss me after vomiting.  there are damned few lines.  that's one of them.

excerpt from monday night:

...noises from the bathroom...
me: you ok in there?
s: just puking.
me: let me know how that goes.
s: ok.

sometimes it takes the edge off.  mostly, it does nothing.  she feels better when there is food in her stomach, but too much is a bad thing.  managing that is difficult and i'm learning to watch her so that we can both pay more attention to what goes in and how to keep it from making her sick.  cause and effect are hard to track when you feel like shit.

i've been doing a lot of recording.  i have a new track that's almost ready.  i keep re-recording it because i'm just not "getting" it.  i can't tell if i'm trying to force a concept to work or what, but the balance gets lost somewhere and doesn't recover.  i think i had recorded parts of that cut a dozen or so times when i went to the living room and sat with my napping love.  i pulled up husi and saw that my main man blixco needed some guitar lovin'.  i was happy to provide.  the result?  pretty fucking awesome for a track that i did in one take and the fact that the two of us have never been in the same room together.  we'll do it again when we get inspired.

i feel like getting this one track done will clear a logjam and i'll be able to breeze through the tunes that remain for this collection.  there are more instruments this time and i'm trying very hard to fake an ensemble feel.  i'm thinking "chamber music for mountain instruments."  whatever that means.  it really means that i want my drum to get delivered and i want to get back to guitar building.

yeah...that's a project that got dropped.  things got busy as hell at the holly-daze and i haven't recovered yet due to the "delicate condition" (see vomit).  right now it feels like completing the two musical projects i have going on should be my focus.  it keeps me in the house and at the ready.  that's good.  i dunno.  choices.  life is full of 'em.

there are a number of things they don't tell men about having kids.  the most difficult so far is the physical disconnect.  she feels awful ALL OF THE TIME.  i don't.  physically?  my life hasn't changed.  i'm just zippin' along, doin' my thing and she's on the couch looking like she's near death.  i bake cookies, noodle around in my studio, read, SURF TEH INTARWEB.  nothing is different for me.  however, i won't even mention the fact that the carnal urges have gone nowhere (for me).  no talk of how my attraction to her is probably stronger than ever.  and i won't waste any bits on the perfection and beauty of certain accessories which are now wholly off-limits due to increased sensitivity to, oh let's say, contact with air!  no sir!  we'll not mention that at all.  it's like living with pr0n:  i can look, but can't touch.  and note to vorheesleatherface:  the boobs i live with are superior to those linked in your hole entry in size, shape and jiggly goodness.  but the pictures don't yelp under the weight of my gaze, so there are advantages to digital images.

heavy.  sigh.

wow.  those last two paragraphs sound awful.  i'd edit them if they weren't perfectly true.  i'm a pig-dog.  whatever.  i'm over it.

our first doctor's appointment is tomorrow.  i have a couple of questions.  anybody out there have some questions that you'd wished you'd asked earlier?

there isn't enough good coffee in the world.  i'm reduced to padding my day with breakroom coffee.  that's not cool, yo.  not cool at all.

< Beelzebub | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on tiny updates | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You need a second set of ears. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:56:09 AM EST
Producers, engineers and mixers aren't there just to take your money. If you want I'd be happy to take a listen to the raw mix. If you have the raw file(s) I can take a stab at tweaking the mix. It'd give me something to do other than re-learning Age of Empires in between packing boxes.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

agreed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:07:02 AM EST
and i'd be more than happy to bundle it all up and pass it on.  i just need to get it nice and raw.

i know how dangerous it is to master your own stuff.  i worked with people who did it all the time.  i am now one of "those" people.  sigh.

making a note.  i'll find a way to get it to you soon-ish.  and thanks...i can use the ears.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

meh by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:01:14 AM EST
I probably should have stayed home today.  I feel worse than normally awful.  The stomach just hasn't been right for the past few days.  I never know where to draw the line, since I feel bad all of the time.

You're cute.

let me know by 11:30-ish... by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:08:46 AM EST
...and i will come get you.  i can work from home this afternoon if i have to.

i don't feel cute.  i feel annoying.  "are you ok?  can i do anything?"  i annoy myself.  i don't know how you put up with me.

and you?  you're TEH HAWT!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I won't be back from the data center until noon by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:22:35 AM EST
so we'll see.

i don't have to put up with you - i just sleep.  and puke.

No questions by Phage (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:07:32 AM EST
Other than being informed. i.e. Why are you doing that ? What are you testing for ? What can I eat/not eat ? Can I travel ? etc etc
A good MD should be briefing you as they go, along with discussions on vaccination, school bookings, home care, family support, etc etc.

I always found it very reassuring to know what was going on. Is that a dangerous symptom, or just something to be expected ?

Of course YMMV. If you have any conditions that may affect the child that's another story.

school bookings? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:23:59 AM EST
dude.  we're still in Phase II - stay pregnant.

But you have to think about these things early. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:31:05 AM EST
You know, to get into that really good kindergarten, the kid's going to have to really perform during the prenatal interviews. </snark>

You've got to be most of the way through the first trimester, right? Keep holding on to that.... And you're lucky that clock is dealing so well with the puking. ana turns a bit green when the cats puke up a small hairball - nothing compared to human puke, IMO.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

to get into that really good kindergarten by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:35:34 AM EST
I have a friend, a public school teacher, who put her daughter in a pre-preschool. The daughter is 2.

I haven't asked if this is to get mom more free time, or to get daughter into a "good" school later.

I actually think it's the former, as Fairfax County has great public schools. The high schools rate higher than many private schools.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think the waiting lists by Phage (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:41:12 AM EST
For childcare and Kindergarten's are longer and more elitist than I'm used to in Aus.

"pre-school" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:27:59 AM EST
The line between "pre-school" and "daycare" is very blurry. Also having an effect is that Montessori schools believe in dumping all ages (well, 2-4) in together.

For us, the important thing was to get the kid involved with other kids in a social environment. (As an only kid with no one his age near us, it's a concern.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

It's never too early to save for his education by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:48:01 AM EST
Have you thought about which colleges would be good for him/her?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

yes by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:49:18 AM EST
forget college, trade school is where it's at!!

you and your dreams.. by clock (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:18:39 AM EST
...of a diesel mechanic...

sigh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Given that a Master Electrician by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:26:24 AM EST
or a Master Plumber can earn a six figure salary...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

But they have to do actual work. by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:42:36 AM EST

honestly? by clock (4.00 / 2) #27 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:12:09 AM EST
some days i'd prefer it to coding.

sigh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

but they don't even have to show up on time! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #36 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:40:20 AM EST

IT people are any better? by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #38 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 10:26:54 AM EST

yes by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #39 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 10:30:02 AM EST

She does not try to kiss me after vomiting by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:09:36 AM EST
Now, see, that is a sign of True Love.

It could be worse! Ummm, somehow. I mean. Well. Oh! I know! You could both still be single! That would be much worse!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

doc should be able to give her something by webwench (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:41:07 AM EST
for the nausea. Ask about that, and don't accept 'just eat crackers before you get up' as a serious answer.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

IAWTP by Phage (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 05:42:44 AM EST
You need to be in discussions with your MD about what you can do.

It's bloody stupid advice, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:39:15 AM EST
and utterly counterproductive. At least in my non-pregnant experience.

also by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:41:29 AM EST
it all comes to a head at night.  Evening is the only time I've actually puked.

Vomiting by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:25:13 AM EST
it's a little disturbing that vomit is a perfectly normal part of our lives.
This will change.

In nine months, the vomiting will occur on you.

Buy lots of extra t-shirts.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

indeed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:34:35 AM EST
i guess i should have clarified that one.  baby puke is just dandy.  my partner pausing to dry heave in the middle of every other sentence SHOULD BE disturbing.

but it's not.

and that's disturbing.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 06:38:24 AM EST
And good luck, hope she feels better soon. :-(
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
thanks. by clock (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:00:07 AM EST
i'm sure she will...

or is that i sure HOPE she will?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yuck, breakroom coffee by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:13:06 AM EST
ours is incredibly vile, it's tastes like hot bitter water.

luxury! by clock (4.00 / 1) #26 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:11:12 AM EST
ours doesn't even taste that good.  it tastes like aftertaste.  know what i mean?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:15:22 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

that's what... by clock (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:22:30 AM EST
...my thermos if for.  that and to regulate my intake (yeah, right!).

but it's empty.  nary a droplet.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Simple. Just get a bigger Thermos! [nt] by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:31:14 AM EST

but that would make sense! n/t by clock (4.00 / 1) #33 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:33:04 AM EST

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:13:22 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

the're amazing. by clock (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:23:29 AM EST
but breathing on them makes her cry.  showering is a painful thing at this point.

blah blah blah.  this too shall pass.

but dammit...they're HOT.  and i can't have them!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:52:49 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

thanks, bro... by clock (4.00 / 1) #35 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 08:53:50 AM EST
...it's all we can do, right?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

All the pregnancy stuff you speak of? by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #40 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 01:12:19 PM EST
It's permanent. At least 'till the last kid goes to college. Well, the disconnect stuff. The puking (soon to add a new category -- projectile vomiting) and the added joy of POOPS! will definitely last for the next four years or so.

Have fun!