Print Story Winter is acomin' in
Family
By georgeha (Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:08:38 AM EST) water, Avalanche, Avalon, thrift, diner (all tags)
So we went sledding with the neighbors

Plus, the wrong way to get away, start spreading the news, fruitless browsing (aside from Apples to Apples), penultimate destination, and less.

Poll: Favorite salad dressing?

If you work in what's practically a company town, when you want to get away, don't go shopping in that town. After being evicted Friday afternoon for having no water, I stopped in the nearest plaza to look for after holiday deals, at the bookstore, department store and cheap clothing store. Nothing worth buying, but I saw a few co-workers and people wearing $corp-logoe'd gear, I guess we all had the same idea.

Ten year old had a swell time in the Big Apple, and really wants to go back. Apparently the plain pasta in little Italy is darn good. She did complain that the ice in the Central Park rink was too holey, and too busy.

Saturday the neighborhood assocation was holding a sledding party at the park just beyond my backyard ( I can see it from our back windows). The weather finally obliged, with freezing temperatures and snow, winter has finally arrived. When ten year old finally got up ( since she had gotten back late from NYC and was up until 12:30) we went over there with bird_lady. It was a nice time, newspaper_dad and his sons showed up, as did a schoolmate of five year old and her family, as well as other people I didn't know. I got in a bit of sledding, ate some food, drank some hot chocolate and generally enjoyed the winter weather as best I could.

Sunday we splurged and went out to eat (it was cheap, under $20 for breakfast for two) and then went to a suburban Goodwill. This one was near Millenium Games, so after browsing a while I left Mrs. Ha to continue shopping and went browsing for hex wargames at Millenium. None of the cheap, under $30 ones appealed to me (good thing, I checked them out later at the geek and they were poorly rated), and I didn't want to spend $70 on something I knew was good, so I just looked for a long time, and went back to the Goodwill. I miss when they resold old Avalon Hill ones.

To sate my desire for hex and counter goodness, I did play one turn of Advanced Tobruk Friday night and Saturday morning, and reread the rules to First Blood. I think I'll play First Blood soon, the map is only 11x17, and it was free.

Yesterday Mrs. Ha got the news that an opening in a nursing home was available for her mom. By this time today, she should be there. It's a shame, how many of us have envisioned an ideal retirement ending up in a home? I don't think anyone told her, but on the other hand, even if someone had told her, with her dementia/Alzheimers, she would have forgotten it in ten minutes anyways.

We had salads this weekend, and we only had enough Italian Parmesan dressing for one bowl, and not even enough bleu cheese for a bowl. I let Mrs. Ha have the Italian, and I found an older bottle of Thousand Island in the fridge that I bought for Rueben's. I actually enjoyed it, I am typically a spicy tangy dressing fan, but the sweet one worked for me (I'm reminded of how Satanists rate salad dressing). What's your favorite salad dressing?

< The world is out to get me. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Winter is acomin' in | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
wipo: Almost any dressing by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:12:29 AM EST
It depends on the type of salad, and what the main course is.

Except for ranch, and ranch variants. Can't stand those. Offensively inoffensive.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Where the hell by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:18:24 AM EST
do you live, that you think that "under $20 for breakfast for two" is cheap?  Cheap is under $12 for breakfast for two including alcohol, which I often achieve at Brian O'Neill's here in h-town.

$12 including tip and tax would be hard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:24:46 AM EST
you'd need $4 meals and 50 cent coffee.

under $12 for breakfast for two including alcohol by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:32:03 AM EST
I think his breakfast is a piece of toast and a six pack of Milwaukee's Best.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Hey by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:42:54 AM EST
It's the brefast o' cham-peens.

Actually, I was thinking of the $5 fish and chips and 50-cent mimosas at O'Neills, but you're right, with tax and tip it's more like $15 for two.

I'd say by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:34:41 AM EST
20 cdn would be norm here for two.  Depends on what you get, but can range from 4-8 per person for a cheap meal.   A small steak/toast/eggs/fries is like 8 and is enough.

In Montreal... by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 10:37:36 AM EST
I had the cheapest breakfast EVAR and it was served by topless chicks who spoke no English.  I forget it's name (it's out by the Olympics area), but for some reason "heaven" rings a bell.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Caesar by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:30:37 AM EST
Even though it gives me migraines.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
two wipos by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:38:32 AM EST
honey mustard type variants (though some go under a cider-vinegar nom-de-plum) and harissa.. Though harissa may not be a proper salad-dressing, with the right salad ingredients is wonderful..

my dressing by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:29:07 AM EST
evoo & balsamic vinegar, a little more than 1:1 oil:vinegar. then add a pinch "italian seasoning" and cracked black pepper.

i think i might try mixing balsamic and red wine vinegars in my next batch.

i just bought a lamp that would have fed your family for a week.

Nursing homes by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 09:51:37 AM EST
The "assisted living" home that my Gramps is in is quite nice. I wouldn't mind spending the last few snips of life in that place if it came down to it. Really the only downside is all the depressing old folks wandering around there. It's really sad to see people who were once proud and capable who are now just empty feeble shells of their former selves.

Warmest regards,