Print Story How can I afford this?
Educashun
By CountSpatula (Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 05:26:49 PM EST) School, Terror, Bank Account (all tags)
Hi all.  I'm now going to Roosevelt University, majoring in comp-sci, minoring in philosophy.  And a four-credit course costs a trivial $2500.  Holy crap.

More importantly, I have to have around 8 credits to get financial aid, and I live about 5 hours away from this joint.  WTF.  I know I'll get a bloody great education from this place, but the price tag is a little daunting.

On the other hand, it's far cheaper than some other American private universities, so I shouldn't complain too much.  Besides, I've been accepted to this university, despite my lackadasical attitude towards higher education.

It would be ultimately rad if I could basically piss around and get credit for it.  On the plus side, my advisor has told me I could get pass-by credit for my knowledge, depending on some testing and such.  This means, happily enough, that I won't have to take CS250 again.  Or other such tripe.  This is a gateway to my master's in theatre, so hopefully I won't fuck it up.

< 21:00 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How can I afford this? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A Masters in Theatre by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 07:06:21 PM EST
What the shit is that good for?

You can ask... by ShadowNode (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 10:49:38 PM EST
"Would you like fries with that?" with style.

Dost thou lust for the most salted flesh of the by debacle (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 07:55:52 AM EST
antediluvian potato?

when I started college in 1995 by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 22, 2007 at 08:21:55 PM EST
I paid $60 per credit.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

$2500 for 4 credits, that's a deal. by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 12:34:07 AM EST
The master's (CS) program I'm applying to is the same price, but for three credits.  I checked out my alma mater, but they're $980/credit, a bit steep for my tastes.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Get a job in comp sci first by lm (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 01:48:26 AM EST
Tuition reimbursement.

Cicero, The Republic
That seems to be the way I'm going. by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:55:25 PM EST
I'll get this BS degree in probably four semesters, and then just work for a few years before I can get my master's.  No worries.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
Good luck to you by lm (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jan 30, 2007 at 04:31:16 AM EST
I hope that those four semesters don't drag on and on either figuratively or literally.

Cicero, The Republic
what's the chances by garlic (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 23, 2007 at 04:50:15 AM EST
that even after you get a master's in theatre, you'll fail to get the job you've identified that that degree will help you with?

Good point. by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 04:54:12 PM EST
However, I shall still and always maintain that you can't win if you don't play.

Besides, wouldn't it just kick ass to have a job doing technical theatre for a professional theatrical group?

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster

that's what people who think they aren't idiots by garlic (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 29, 2007 at 07:21:55 PM EST
say when they buy a lottery ticket.

How can I afford this? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback