Print Story Merry Hogswatch
Misc.
By anonimouse (Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 03:26:07 AM EST) pratchett, lector, dates, no sex, house, books, movies (all tags)
HO HO HO

HogFather
Watched and read book. Am I alone in liking the concepts of Terry Pratchetts world, but disliking the actual stories? I am beginning to believe like claiming to read Playboy for the articles, I read Pratchett for the footnotes.

House
Finally, five months after leaving due to burst water tank, furniture back in house and we're rearranging everything, assisted by GothGirl. Bad news is it seems 26" LCD succumbed to water damage after we thought it was ok, so will have to contact Loss Adjuster again.

Have just discovered that I have over 3,000 books.  Took 4 people 5 hours to reload the bookcases. Is this excessive?

Dates
Some months ago anonimouse had a date that didn't work out. Reading email recieved over XMas I found an apology for certain events. I'm still trying to figure out if this is a "let's try again" message or just a general festive apology clearout. Sent an apology accepted and best wishes reply and will see what transpires. Am I alone in dating people who tell me they were awful several weeks/months after they split up and want to try again? Or am I a date crash junkie?

MusicGirl is going through a "moody cow" phase, so think will leave alone. Memo to self: buying large XMas presents for ex-girlfriends is bad idea, even if it is as test bed for your own present to yourself.

Congrats
To a certain person who anonimouse "diagnosed" incorrectly.

What I read and watched
Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris.
An enjoyable read as a post war Lector seeks revenge on the people responsible for the death of his parents. I get the impression that Thomas Harris is mellowing Lector out and making his actions seem perfectly reasonable, only seeming to kill "bad" people.

House with Hugh Laurie. Sort of a medical CSI. I'm sure diagnosis bears no relation to real medical practise but enjoyable

Tru Calling with Eliza Dushku. Yum. Probably not the best Sci fi series in the world, but Eliza Dushku beats Sarah Jane Honeywell hands down, so I don't care.

New Years Resolution
Ban chocolate and lose 2 stone before the middle of the year.

Buy system to run Medieval 2: Total War on adequately. 1.7GHz Pentium 4 laptop is not man enough. Build PVR system.

Anyone recommend a good movie to go to?

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Merry Hogswatch | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Did I miss a diary ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 03:36:33 AM EST
GothGirl ?
Have you read 'Good Omens'? ? It has a better (IMHO) plot than most Pratchetts.

No, you haven't by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 03:51:52 AM EST
GothGirl frequented diary a long time ago, not mentioned recently.

I really liked Good Omens, but then I do like Neil Gaiman, so maybe his contributions helped.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Pratchett by TPD (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 04:02:33 AM EST
I like some of them (and a few of those I really love), but many of the books seem pretty soulless with pretty flimsy stories wrapping around what seem slightly lazy ideas "lets take the You-tube phenomena but put it in a diskworld context". Probably not overly surprising given the rate they seem to be released.

I've read and watched Hogfather and thought both Program and book sat somewhere between OK and Good, but neither was great.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Agree by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 01:20:45 PM EST
I enjoy the books, and I enjoyed the made-for-tv film, but it's not great it's just not-bad.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Discworld by squigs (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 04:07:23 AM EST
You have a point.  I enjoy them but the Discworld Companion was possibly the book I enjoyed the most.

The Good Shepherd by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 04:15:08 AM EST
Saw it over the weekend, great movie.  A bit on the long side (2:40 + previews = 3+ hours), but it moves so you don't notice.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I love Pratchett's Discworld by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 04:28:24 AM EST
With the exception of Colour of Magic I've loved every book. Maybe it helps to have had experience in the worlds he satirises, like the music industry (Soul Music), Hollywood (Moving Pictures), Newspapers (The Truth) an so on. Other books like the recent ones with Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegle seem more a return to his giving a new perspective on old fairy tales and stories.

I didn't know there was a video for Hogfather but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It wasn't as dark as Gaiman's American Gods but although it was set within the confines of the Discworld, I considered it more or less the same genre.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

IAWTP by martingale (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 05:19:55 PM EST
I don't care for the concepts, but the characters are sometimes great. My favourite books are the ones with Unseen University in them. Very realistic if you're the kind of chap who's the kind of chap who knows a thing or two about that kind of thing. Wizzards rock!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
hogfather watching by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 05:00:00 AM EST
I thought it was terribly paced and wished it had been put into the hands of a party other than Sky.

Might not be their fault by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 05:06:48 AM EST
I read it and wasn't thrilled with the pacing of the book either.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
point by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 06:08:34 AM EST
And counterpoint. Jackson didn't leave Frodo and Sam in the wilderness for all eternity (yeah, he did other shit instead). Part of the requirement for successful adaptations is changing stuff which won't film well.

Countercounterpoint: Jackson by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 08:48:48 AM EST
While LOTR was a stunning achievement, I have to say the last hour or so of the Return of the king was a bottom numbing period that could well have been shortened. Jacksons pacing was fairly true to the pace of LOTR itself, which once Frodo splits from the party allows time to flow by telling several threads of the story alternately in Gondor, Rohan and Mordor, so I'm not sure he can get credit for that.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
accepted by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jan 03, 2007 at 12:03:39 AM EST
With caveat. An error of judgement in one place does not invalidate the principle. It was better editing to follow the threads of the story as Jackson did rather than slavishly following Tolkien's method. Hogfather seemed too slavishly followed.

Hogfather by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jan 02, 2007 at 10:54:20 AM EST
I read it when it first came out, and is one of the few Discworld books I don't have (my gf at the time lent it to me), so I don't really remember it very well.

I've seen the first part of the film (other half still recorded on my Sky+ box), and so far, so meh. I found the assassin to be somewhat annoying; he seemed to be trying very hard to be Depp's Willy Wonka, which grated somewhat. (Like I said though, it's been a good 9 years since I read the book, so maybe that was true to the character)

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Merry Hogswatch | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback