Print Story High Voltage
By TheophileEscargot (Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 09:27:26 AM EST) Reading, Listening, Me (all tags)
Listening, Reading: "History of Ancient Rome". Me. Random.

Listening
Been going through the Teaching Company's History of Ancient Rome series. It's 48 half-hour lectures. The first half was very compelling as he went through the dramatic period of the Roman Revolution up till the death of Augustus.

I think he must have had to stretch a shorter series to fit though, since after that he goes into the "thematic section of the course", where he spends a lecture each going through topics like cities, the place of women, leisure activities etc. Useful background, but not nearly as entertaining.

Overall, thorough and interesting though.

Next up is a much shorter course on Voltaire and the Enlightenment. Someone else on HuSi was saying that the Teaching Company is a good example of how audio downloads should work. Generally agree: it's low-hassle, with non-DRM MP3 downloads available. The pricing system is a bit of an arse though: most of the courses are absurdly expensive, but once a year each of the courses goes onto "special offer" which is a fairly reasonable.

Also beginning to get pretty sick of that extract from the Brandenburg Concertos they use to introduce every lecture.

Me
Feeling mildly let down by various people.

At work, struggled hard to get Fucked Project ready in time for our testing slot, only to have another urgent project grab the slot at the last minute. Handy to have a bit more time to unfuck it slightly though.

Was supposed to be going to see "The Last King of Scotland" with K on Tuesday, but she cancelled again: this time to finish up a USian project with a midnight deadline. Fortunately hadn't bought any tickets this time.

Should be going to see "Apocalypto" with the guys this Saturday, after nearly two weeks of emailing back and worth to try to agree a time.

Why can't anyone just, like, agree to a time when they're asked, then turn up at that time?

Reading
Not sure if I'll finish this one: got given As Used on the Famous Nelson Mandela for Xmas. It's by comedian-turned-activist Mark Thomas, about the arms and torture instrument trade in the UK. Very Michael Moorish mixture of amusing stunts and ranting. Problem is that Thomas isn't actually that funny, and I'm obviously not particularly outraged by the existence of the arms trade. If anything, surprised at the lengths the arms buyers have to go to get around the UK bans,

Random stuff

• Running Apache on my home machine now, so can get to my music collection, albeit slowly.
  • HuSi (though not K5) is banned by the work web filter Can post comments on HuSi via my home proxy, but doesn't work to post diaries. Breaker suggested VNC over port 80, but looks like more of a hassle to set up than I can be bothered with. Apparently some proxies mangle the data anyway, and if any proxy's like to be fucked it's where I work.
  • John Brownlee is methadone to Lore Sjoberg's heroin.
  • I feel vaguely racist for having Amy Winehouse on my work music playlist but no actually-black women.
< fun in the ice! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
High Voltage | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
damnit by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 01:54:45 PM EST
now i have ACDC stuck in my head.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
And this is a problem? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:04:40 AM EST
Ah well, if you want blood, you got it.

Thanks for making the poll multi-select by stark (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:22:24 AM EST
People suck, and people do not suck...

Also: I am aware that I am typing this in a web browser that allows me to hunt through humankind's greatest amalgamation of knowledge, trivia and lies, but who the hell are John Brownlee and Lore Sjoberg?

Also: pass this link on to R Mutt next time you see him, will you?

U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

Lore by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:36:20 AM EST
Lore Sjoberg is an Internet superhero of Brunching Shuttlecocks fame, now writing for Wired. John Brownlee took over from him after a brief period on Table of Malcontents.
Cinema by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 12:24:32 AM EST
I tell people I'm going to see a film and say they can come along if they want, it's just impossible otherwise.

A couple of years ago I organised a trip to Belgium with some mates and everyone cancelled the day before. I had to phone one friend myself to find out he wasn't coming. I didn't lose any money but it really pissed me off. God, I can feel myself getting angry typing about it...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I see your problem by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 03:51:16 AM EST
I organised a trip to Belgium

Nuff said.

Ha ha by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 04:05:50 AM EST
Yeah, good point.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Aaargh by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 08:41:20 AM EST
That's just insanely awful.
High Voltage | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback