Print Story ATTENTION BOSTON INFIDELS!
By toxicfur (Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:29:51 PM EST) (all tags)
(Also attention other infidels who may be interested in my work life).

I have an announcement to make:

$EVIL_PROJECT IS OVER!!!1111

I can return to the world of the living now, after helping to create a 1,055-page document.

I would like to propose that as many of us as possible get together for drinks and a movie sometime very soon. I have been wanting to see Pan's Labyrinth since I first saw it. Check out the trailer if, unlike me, you haven't been obsessively waiting for this for months. It seems it's playing in Harvard Square, so how about we meet somewhere for dinner/drinks and then see the movie? Date subject to mutual convenience. iGrrrl: Any chance you and your partner could get a babysitter?

In further work news, I got a promise from $uber_boss today: "I promise you, you will never have to work with $evil_director again." She then went on to talk about all the things we really, really dislike about him. He really is a lying sack of shit. But I never have to deal with him as a part of my job again. I'm still going to give my dog lots of positive reinforcement when he does his "Fuck $director!" happy dance.

I've gotten really nice feedback from everybody I worked with except for $evil_director, and I wouldn't believe him if he did give me positive feedback. I got a "you are awesome!" email from one person, another complimenting my hard work and professionalism. I think I'm pretty good at my job. I'm glad it's recognized outside of my office.

I'm taking tomorrow off. I have a box of 50  Vertigo comics (single issues from a variety of titles) that I picked up for $12. And I'm going to lie on the couch with Rocky and, if it isn't too cold for me, dress him in his coat and take him for a walk. I'll call and email my friends. I'll get to watch tv, and spend time with ana, and do all the things that working 50 hours (or 74, last week) a week keeps me from doing.

< MFC9 Voting | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ATTENTION BOSTON INFIDELS! | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
congrats, 'w00t', etc. by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:45:51 PM EST

Now get some Bass and enjoy the Vertigo.

7 Deadly Zins was going for $17 downtown, so I figure I'll check a local grocery store that tends to have better prices.

Thanks. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:51:13 PM EST
I've finished the bass, and I'm thinking about pouring myself a Jameson's. Or maybe I'll just have another beer. I've somehow got to get myself unwired to the point I can sleep.... Funny how one can fall out of the habit of sleeping.

Another, I think cheaper, zinfindel is Ravenswood Old Vine Zin. Tasty, that one. Of course, I'm not much of a wine snob - I still really like Black Swan Merlot, and I have fond memories of drinking most of two large bottle of Rancho Zabaco merlot with my friend Sally.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

sleep by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:54:28 PM EST
Y'know, I haven't gone back to my old sleep patterns since &evil_project last year.  I should do the experiment and see if I can go to bed at 10:00 +/- 0.5 hrs for a whole week.  It might re-set the insomnia.

I had a shot of Jack Daniels at the train station's bar, and am finishing the last of my glass of Knob Creek.

I think I'm ready for bed.

And we have a good baby sitter.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thanks largely to ana, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:21:30 AM EST
and ana's very regular schedule, I managed to get my usual sleep patterns back pretty quickly after $evil_project last year. I'm guessing it'll be easier this time, since the number of weeks I spent working late into the night was much lower this year.

I also don't feel quite as shell-shocked this year, though I did dream last night that we were still working in the conference room.

yes, well by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:08:11 AM EST
my poor partner has been working this hard since the last time we worked on $evil_project.  i'm worried.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I do hope... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:25:51 AM EST
that things get better soon. This isn't a way to live. (and all the more reason to take a night off for a movie and hanging out with friends).
Ravenswood by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #37 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:17:48 PM EST
Ravenswood really is the master of the cheap zin. Though as I recall, their Zen of Zin was disappointing. It's something of my standard for parties that request help in supplying the alcohol as it goes down easy for the hoi poloi, but is acceptable to those who know of what they speak.

I'm guessing the chimay is gone by now. by R343L (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:49:33 PM EST
or I would say time for (more) beer. :)

Rachael

Mmmm. Chimay. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 06:52:14 PM EST
I think I'll treat myself to a trip to the liquor store tomorrow. Tonight, it will just be Bass, aka "comfort beer."
trailer by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 07:59:11 PM EST
Holy w00t-cakes!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

*grins* by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:26:40 AM EST
It is quite amazing, isn't it? Here is why I've been waiting for months to this movie to actually reach a theater near me. I'm hoping that aethucyn, kellnerin* and ad hoc will weigh in, and we can set a date. Let me know what's convenient for you guys.

*Ok, so my earlier comment about (lack of) shell-shock might not actually be true. I almost went back and added a serial comma here.

Maddy is 12? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:16:37 AM EST
Boy, I must've stopped reading his journal a long time ago.

---------------
Yeah. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:19:04 AM EST
I went through and read the entire blog from start to finish some months ago. It's kind of fun to watch her grow up in the little comments and stories he tells.
-----
I used to love his journal by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:21:25 AM EST
And I clearly remember Maddy as a small child who he reads to at bedtime and writes childrens books for.  I suppose I should find the time to catch up.

---------------
My schedule is pretty open by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #38 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:25:01 PM EST
I think the next time I have something pre-planned is next wed. and then saturday the 27th after that. Of course, my usual limitations from m-f apply of not making it into Boston until 6:30, and Cambridge/Somerville 15-20 minutes after that. Cutting it close to a 7:00 movie time, and meaning that whoever sits next to me will have to put up with my stomach growling.

And I've recently gotten really odd about not watching movie trailers of things I intend to see. Similarly, I don't read the book flaps of books I'm buying (I read the first page if I'm curious). Probably just a phase.

I was thinking of a Friday... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:09:35 PM EST
if we can get it together, then this Friday, though that's probably not enough time for iGrrrl to get a babysitter. Perhaps. ana and I have to get up early on Sundays, so Saturday nights are pretty much out. We could do a weeknight, but that still has the get-up-early problem.

Hm. I'll send out an email and see what people are up for.

1,055-page ! by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:17:31 AM EST
That's, that's, that's... Good God! You wrote over a KiloPage!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

To be honest, by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:30:03 AM EST
I, myself, wrote much less than 1,055 pages. The people on the writing team (iGrrrl, two other writers, and $office_mate), though, hand a hand in nearly every piece of that. I was primarily responsible for 83 pages, including 23 pages of references, and helped out wherever I could.

I'm just glad it's over, and I really love the notion of a "kilopage."
-----

1,055 paginas???? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:51:57 AM EST
Let me guess, it ends when Napoleon gets driven from Russia and burns a good portion of it down on his way out and then Pierre marries Natasha?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

No, it wasn't that one. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:34:37 AM EST
It's more like the one that ends where you don't know if the narrator was insane like his mother or what, and whether or not there really was a house with a 5 1/2-minute hallway, and exactly why someone wrote about a manuscript about a documentary that may or may not exist.
-----
Edmund and Haydee II : The Later Years by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:01:35 AM EST
the worst part by garlic (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:57:27 AM EST
about our 950 pages of documentation for software is that they don't read them. Whenever they have a question they come bother us instead.

Congrats!!!! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 03:55:34 AM EST
You survived another one!

Yay! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:36:55 AM EST
Now, post name and address of evil director, and we'll go after him / her with a nailgun and some sillyputty.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat
We? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 05:04:03 AM EST
You're stuck in the snow/ice/End Of Days in Tejas. You aren't doing anything, except maybe curling up in front of the fire with your Honey and some hot chocolate.

Lucky bastard...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Above freezing by noon, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 05:07:50 AM EST
and revenge is a dish best served cold.  GET IT!?!?  HAH HAH HAH!

Goddamnit I'm funny, I don't care what y'all say.
---------------------------------

it actually hurt... by clock (4.00 / 2) #20 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 06:40:04 AM EST
...to read that.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Oh now. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #26 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:35:04 AM EST
I'm ADORABLE.

And I'm also COMPLETELY INSANE.  Cabin fever!  I'm going to shoot my freezer, BRB.
---------------------------------

shooting the fridge is... by clock (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:47:26 AM EST
...soooo a fool's progress

no go bake some cookies.  freak.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I bought that by blixco (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 09:41:21 AM EST
book for my dad, finally.

He called at one point to tell me to call my grandmother.  He left off with "oh, and I'm about a third of the way through that fucking book, you jerk."
---------------------------------

it's good stuff... by clock (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 09:59:32 AM EST
...i need to get to the monkeywrench gang sometime soon.  i'm reading his confessions of a barbarian....put it on the list.  we're quite the abbey fans in our house.

oddly enough, i didn't see the ending coming sooner.  because i suck.  and i didn't want to.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

For me, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:14:40 AM EST
it was denial.  I totally wanted Henry to make it.

I guess he may have.  He may have died on the tracks.  I just don't know.

What's alarming is how hard that book hit me.

I've got all of his stuff except confessions... which I intend to buy if the ice melts.  The guy was the closest thing to a literary hero I had.
---------------------------------

a-f'n-men by clock (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:22:20 AM EST
no one has hit me quite like abbey.  mostly because i agree with him across the board.  the same way i always seemed to agree with HST.  but i could live like abbey.

and yeah...maybe henry did make it after all.  i wanted him to.  really.

when are we going to sit down and drink coffee again?  it seems we got off track...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Soon? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:23:52 AM EST
Let's let the ice die down, and I'll try ot get out Houston way.
---------------------------------
works for me/us. by clock (4.00 / 1) #35 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 10:26:39 AM EST
we don't have any real plans until august.  then things will pick up a bit.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Congratulations. by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 05:21:56 AM EST
Celebrate by looking for another job ... !!!

Thanks. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 05:25:12 AM EST
But there's no other job I'd rather have. $evil_projects are the exception, and most people I work with are really excellent.
Woohoo!!! by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 08:11:44 AM EST
Yeah! Now not only will you be secure in the knowledge that you have a better life than $evil_director, but also that his shadow will never threaten to bring your world down to his level again. Yay!

Movie is intriguing. I will have to show D the trailer when he gets home, which I keep forgetting to do. Problem being that this coming Saturday and Sunday are already booked for us. But I'll stay tuned to planning discussions and update as warranted from here.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn

Movie by Corky Sherwood (4.00 / 1) #36 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 01:15:44 PM EST
I'd love to join you all if 1) it was a saturday and 2) i could crash with someone.  I'd love to see you all and could use a small jaunt out of town.

Keep me posted!

Will do. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 05:14:58 PM EST
I don't know that it'll be a Saturday, since ana and I have to get up Sunday mornings. Once we get something figured out, though, I'll let you know. Does PM work? Or do I have a working email addy for you?
PM works. by Corky Sherwood (2.00 / 0) #41 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 01:47:29 AM EST
I'm lurking here daily.

I could do a friday night given enough time; saturdays are easier.  but, yeah, i don't have much of a life these days (except for the occasional attempt of a date), so keep me posted and I'll make it work.

new here by horrorgeek (2.00 / 0) #42 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:15:44 AM EST
also from the boston area, but im a noob.
i'd LOVE to get together, since i am lonely
in this big city.

when and where?

We're still working out the details. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #43 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:27:14 AM EST
Do you have an email address you'd be willing to share? As long as you aren't an axe murderer or (worse) an irritating person to be around, you'd be welcome to join us.

The Boston husi folks try to get together on a semi-regular basis, depending on workloads and energy levels. Keep an eye out for the "attention Boston infidels!" diaries.
-----

no im not an axe murderer by horrorgeek (4.00 / 1) #44 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 10:51:46 AM EST
an oracle dba. is that close enough?
hahaha.
email address: chronmpj @ hotmail.com

Great! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #45 Thu Jan 18, 2007 at 11:01:04 AM EST
I'll add you to the email list, and I'll let you know when we decide what we're going to do - probably not this weekend, I'm hoping next.
ATTENTION BOSTON INFIDELS! | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback