Print Story Boca Burgers don't seem to agree with me
We got a couple of boxes a couple of weeks back when shopping at the Whole Foods over off of 95th street. It is part of our trying to cut back on saturated fat, of which, meat is one of the larger contributors.

The texture was a bit unappetizing. I mean, had it been real meat, the texture would have been indicative of something gone horribly wrong. The flavor was not bad. I could get used to them, given time, but I am unsure as far as my gut goes. There seems to be disagreement in the processing portion as to what, exactly, it is supposed to be doing with the soy compounds.

The change in food is all thanks to the results that were confirmed from my wife's doctor last week. In her words, "Extreme Insulin Intolerance". Pre-diabetic is the diagnosis. And so one of the changes is a change to a low saturated fat diet. Lots of poly- and monounsaturated fat goodness. That is in addition to the new daily drug, Metformin. ucblockhead, you did guess correctly on that account. That is in addition to attempting to get more activity in our lives. Wife has already started to taking our dog, Jazz, out on walks every day after work. Although today, with the streets being iced over, that may not be happening. Hopefully both of us will get healthier because of this.

In fact, I've eaten so much greens in the last few weeks that I'm actually starting to craving for them. As in, "Hmm. That turkey club could use some more green. Can you add a extra couple of leaves to it?" when I hit the work cafe for lunch. For me, a meats-and-potatoes kind of guy, this is entirely too strange. Speaking of cravings, I am hoping that at some point the cravings for deep-fried stuff start to go away. I have had dreams of swimming through seas of ketchup and french-fries.

We're not overly concerned with sugars just yet as there isn't all that much in the house. Most of our sodas are diet. We have a couple of cases for friends who want the sweet stuff that come over for gaming nights. I've suggested we start looking for and avoiding buying things with HFCS in them which should be an adventure in shopping. Although the saturated fat label reading has been quite a bit more interesting so far.

----------------------

Work has been slowly going crazy with two events happening this month and next.

This month is the ISO audit.

Does anyone here know how to get in on this con job? Rumors have been flying that my current company is spending a couple million dollars on the audit. People are getting paid to come in and ask if we have a documented process. That's it. Nothing more complicated than that.

Seriously. How do you get in on this? For that matter, how do you convince businesses that they need to spends millions of dollars on non-governmental, voluntary compliance?  The whole idea just strikes me as a shakedown protection racket.

"We'll tell everybody you do business with that you're not compliant unless you give us money!"

It'll all be over at the end of this week.

Next month, the company is sending my team off to new digs. Which is cool. Everybody is starting to complain again about the parking situation. Which is to say that none of the buildings at work have adequate space for said activity at or near them. The result of which is that if you're not there by say, 8 or 8:30, you end up with a good half-mile hike.

Drive wise, the new digs are going to be easiest gotten to via 435. Through Johnson county. Across Metcalf, Antioch, and College Blvd. All places that I'd like to have a turret mounted grenade launcher to get through. So, yeah. I'm looking to an ex-Army friend to see if there is any way I start ordering parts to assemble by own M1-Abrams tank. Not that I'd run anyone over with it. It's more for being able to simply go around any and all backed up traffic in the area and not having to worry about, say, fences or road guards.

---------------

The WoW expansion drops tomorrow. I've been playing my level 60 warlock to get used to the new talents and spells I've already set up.

Also got Heroes of Might and Magic 5 Saturday as a belated Christmas gift. Ah, sweet turned based gaming addiction, how I have missed you.

< Da Capo, or: "Sunday, Monday ... Happy Days" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Boca Burgers don't seem to agree with me | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Boca ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 07:48:49 AM EST

... the Boca fake-chicken-burgers/patties are pretty good, I've found.

... the Boca fake ground beef is quite useful and has the right texture (for use in chili, pasta sauce).

... the fake hamburger patty things, though ... not as good. A vegetarian friend left the country a couple years back and gave me part of the contents of her fridge and freezer, which is how I got a decent supply of Boca stuff.

Beware of Boca by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 07:49:48 AM EST
All that soy protein can cause you to grow boobies.

The fake chicken made with quorn, which is some kind of fungus, is well known for causing intestinal distress.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

But qorn actually tastes like chicken by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:01:04 AM EST
Well, at least the pseudo-chicken nuggets taste so close to nuggets made of actual chicken that the two are virtually indistinquishable.

Cicero, The Republic
you subtly manage to not answer by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:06:32 AM EST
if said nuggets made of actual chicken are really as you claim.. Some may beg to differ..

I can't parse out your post by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:14:45 AM EST
By nuggets made of actual chicken, I mean chicken nuggets either purchased from a fast food chain or purchased in the grocery where the ingredients specify chicken as the meat and the only non-chicken ingrediants are in the breading.

Cicero, The Republic
sarcasm hinting by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:50:30 AM EST
that while at some point there may have been an actual breathing chicken behind what went into said chicken nuggets, I think it's dubious to call the end result chicken anything..

fake meat designed to taste like meat fails it by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:13:02 AM EST
I quite like the various gourmet veggie burgers that are supposed to taste like what they are: patties made out of beans, grains or veggies. The patties processed to have the taste and texture of meat almost all taste like dog food to me. For one variant, try the recipe near the end of this diary entry for homemade cashew/cauliflower cakes.

If you want to add meat texture to a casserole or stew, try toasting cracked wheat, wheat berries, barley or tvp and then cooking it in vegetable broth until it has the consistency of meat.

If you want the deep fried fix, either get your fries from a place like the Great Steak and Potato Company that uses pure peanut oil or buy a deep fryer and fry your own in peanut/canola/olive/whatever unsaturated oil.

If you want to audit, get a graduate degree in finance and apply to one of the big audit firms.

Cicero, The Republic
It's not so much a desire to audit by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 09:01:12 AM EST
as it is a desire to get paid stupid amounts of money by companies for what essentially amounts to a legally sanctioned protection racket.

IAWTP by R343L (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 09:02:24 AM EST
I don't have much use for the non-meat ingredients processed beyond all recognition into something that sorta kinda looks & tastes like meat. I rarely (okay almost never) buy any of the processed vegetable patty things or fake-fill-in-meat things. I'd just assume eat their constituent parts.

Another option for deep-fried is to bake some potato strips (wedges, slices, whatever) on a cookie sheet sprinkled with olive oil. Yeah, it's not deep-fried, but it tastes good.

Rachael

Peanut oil by ni (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 10:49:23 AM EST
is, unfortunately, pretty heavy in trans-fats. This sucks, as it's incredibly tasty.

256: What are you searching for? mx: Kaola penis. 256: Why aren't you using image search?
I think you're wrong on that by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 11:08:22 AM EST
IIRC trans-fats are mostly man-made substances. Outside of meats and dairy foods, I'm not aware of any naturally ocurring trans-fats in foods consumed by people. Oil blends made with peanut and oil in addition to hydrogenated oils will contain trans-fats but I don't believe that peanut oil all by its lonesome has a significant amount. But I'm certainly willing to be corrected on that.

Cicero, The Republic
Yes and no. by ni (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 02:26:44 PM EST
Outside of animal products, yes, transfats are man-made. However, peanut oil (and many vegetable oils) in the western world often partially hydrogenated before making it to the consumer.

So my above comment is wrong, at least slightly: Not all peanut oil is heavy in trans-fats, but many are. (Compare to olive oil, which is almost never partially hydrogenated.)

Does USia require labeling of transfats? It's mandatory in Canuckistan.

we do now by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 03:55:59 PM EST
or at least, we're about to if we don't already. at work we're working on the redesign of all labels.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
I think you're all wrong by lm (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 03:15:40 AM EST
Or at least didn't read carefully. To reply to a post advocating fried foods prepared in a way ``that uses pure peanut oil'' (emphasis added) with the assertion that peanut oil contains trans-fat is 100% wrong. So there.

By the way, if they sell Mike Sell's potato chips up your way, check them out. They're deep fried in 100% pure peanut oil goodness and have 0 grams of trans-fat. Of course, being potato-chips, they are still about 50% fat by volume, but at least it's the `healthy' kind of fat. If you want to put on the pounds, it's a good way to do it.

Cicero, The Republic
Eh. by ni (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:21:05 AM EST
It's not clear to me that "pure", when regarding food labels, means "unmodified" so much as it means "unadulterated". But you could be right, and I doubt there are any convenient sources of answers on the issue.

I'll try to track them down. Honestly, if I could somehow eat peanut oil fried peanut oil I'd be in heaven. It's the tastiest fat known to man.

Canada has no truth in labeling laws? by lm (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:28:01 AM EST
I'm shocked. Shocked. Down here in the lower 48, pure means pure.

Either that or you're trolling me. You can't hydrogenate a fat without adulterating it.

Cicero, The Republic
Again, by ni (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 11:38:46 AM EST
You can't hydrogenate a fat without adulterating it.

Are you just asserting this, or do you have something to back it up with? It's not obviously true, and seems to me to be a case that could go either way depending on legislation.

This is all moot. These words depend not on what they mean in your head, but on what they are defined to mean in the relevant legislation. Argumentation by accusation of trolling doesn't get us anywhere.

If push comes to shove by lm (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:07:24 PM EST
Exhibit A Title 21 of FDA rules for food for human consumption regarding nutritional labeling:
If the fat or oil is completely hydrogenated, the name shall include the term hydrogenated, or if partially hydrogenated, the name shall include the term partially hydrogenated. If each fat and/or oil in a blend or the blend is completely hydrogenated, the term "hydrogenated" may precede the term(s) describing the blend, e.g., "hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean, cottonseed, and palm oils)", rather than preceding the name of each individual fat and/or oil; if the blend of fats and/or oils is partially hydrogenated, the term "partially hydrogenated" may be used in the same manner.

While this title was recently revised, the above clause has been on the books for years.

Exhibit B The Hydrogenation of alkenes:

CH2 = CH2 + H2 -Ni-> CH3-CH3

In other words, you have adulterate the oil with hydrogen.

Cicero, The Republic
Fair enough. by ni (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:14:15 PM EST
Your exhibit A is exactly what I was thinking of. Very good, I am well and truly wrong.

Exhibit B is insane, but moot.

Metformin by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:23:52 AM EST
can make women more fertile ...
Hypocrisy is the resin that holds the plywood of society together
You should try Morningstar Farms by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:45:19 AM EST
their Tomato Basil burgers are pretty good with some romato sauce and provolone on top, and the Garden Veggie patties go well with melted swiss and mushrooms.

IAWTP by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 08:47:42 AM EST
I buy their chicken nuggets regularly.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

not just sugar by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 09:40:40 AM EST
cut down on the refined carbs...make your sandwiches with 100% whole wheat bread etc...

Been working on that by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 09:47:22 AM EST
and trying to find a good whole-wheat pizza crust recipe. The best suggestions I've come across so far is just to use a regular loaf and use it like a crust. We did try a gluten-free box crust that turned out to be the most flavorless thing I've ever tasted. And quite grainy in texture to boot.

But that's just part of the fun and adventure -- getting to try new things.

Don't sweat the whole wheat by lm (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 11:11:44 AM EST
Wheat flower is usually fine so long as it is unbleached. And even if you use whole wheat, if you sift it first, you can usually use it as a 1:1 replacement for all-purpose-flour in such things as pizza crust with good results. And if you still don't like that try the white whole-wheat that comes from some bizarre `albino' wheat strain. It's lighter than the usual whole wheat.

Cicero, The Republic
Gluten free is not health food. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 01:49:16 AM EST
Especially most prepackaged stuff. It's full of all kinds of cellulose gums which are nothing like as well digested as good old wheat protein. Unless, of course, an exclusion diet has shown genuine wheat intolerance.

A decent wholemeal bread flour with some water and yeast should make a good pizza crust, properly made.

For what it's worth by ni (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Jan 15, 2007 at 10:50:41 AM EST
as veggie burgers go, Boca Burgers may be the biggest but they're nothing close to the best. If you haven't been scared off them, it might be worth experimenting with other brands to see if you can find something more agreeable.