Print Story How weird is duxup?
By duxup (Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 08:36:40 AM EST) duxup, rome, paris, clothing, weird (all tags)
duxup explains exactly how weird he is.  Very weird.

Dual Exhaust?  Why?

duxup considers where and how he will take a vacation before independent Mr. and Mrs. duxup cease to exist.

How Weird is duxup?

I wear the same thing to work every day.  One of my two pairs of kaki Dockers, a white t-shirt, over the white t-shirt over of three possible a plaid button shirt that of course remains unbuttoned and untucked, some pair of tennis shoes.

Yesterday I went shopping.  I bought two new pairs of kaki Dockers and three new plaid button shirts.

On weekends it is the same thing except in the winter they become one of two pairs of blue jeans, or shorts.

I own other clothing.  I just don’t wear them often.

I’ve been this way for a good eight years or so with some minor changes as kaki pants and shirts wear out but the pants stay kaki, t-shirts white, and button shirts plaid of some form or another.  The shoes change once in a while, except when I buy the exact same pair to replace the old ones :o

Yeah...

Dual Exhaust

I noticed while driving our new family car that I was following an identical Subaru Outback and that it had dual exhaust.  I checked and yeah our car has two tail pipes as well.  My first thought was Great if and when these mufflers die now I’ve got two to pay for rather than one.  Not that it is a common occurrence but it seems a bit ridiculous to have two mufflers.  Anyone know a reason that a little 4 cylinder station wagon would need this or is it just for looks?

Bill Parcells Hates Football

You can’t blame him can you?  His general behavior on the sidelines seems to back this theory up.

Vacation

My wife and I are looking to take a nice vacation before we endeavor to reproduce in a manner the church would approve of.  My wife lived in London for a few months while going to college and she enjoyed it (well the country, not the Americans with her).  She managed a short jaunt to Paris but of course like 90% of the time that I have been there everything was closed for a strike, or bank holiday, or because as the other English speakers say it is France.

She’d like to go back to Paris, but also wants someplace she’s never been before.  My trips found Paris to be a nice place but busy and not particularly exciting compared to other places.

The wife has never been to Rome and my previous two trips always left me wishing I could stay there longer.

Prague is another option as I enjoyed it great deal it but unlike Rome I don’t have a laundry list of things I can think to do.

Right now I like the idea of Rome.

How to Travel

In addition to the question of where, there is the question of how and of course that will have some impact on where.

The fact is that the wife and I navigating the world on our own for extended time periods is NOT a good thing.  That might be the way to see the place but it’s just not an option for us, too much bickering.  A more structured system with some free time here and there seems like the best and really only way to go for us.

We’re seriously considering something like http://www.ricksteves.com/ as I enjoy his show and we know a couple that enjoyed their trips with that service.

What I’d really like is something like 7 days in Paris and 7 days in Rome but that’s not on the list of options.  Rather they have a lot of couple days here and there trips.  I’m not fond of those due to the wasted time traveling and packing and unpacking all the time and etc.  They do have some individual cities with 7 day durations that seem like a good option.

< Theatre Review: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How weird is duxup? | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My Sube had one muffler and three catalytic conver by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 08:46:22 AM EST
ters, one for each side of the engine, which joined together behind the engine, and then went to an exhaust. The're weird cars, but I miss mine, especially since winter has finally arrived.

The Smart has dual exhaust too, by komet (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 08:56:41 AM EST
and only 3 cylinders, so it must split up somewhere. Perhaps because it's got two turbos?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
i don't know if it's structured enough, by garlic (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 08:59:47 AM EST
but a lot of guide books will have sample itineraries for different duration stays at different cities.

Not a bad idea by duxup (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 09:24:14 AM EST
It's a good idea but with the wife and I that just won’t be enough for us.  We need some adult supervision ;)
____
Dualies. by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 09:01:54 AM EST
I'm 90% sure they share the same muffler on smaller autos. I don't know about big Osama-sized trucks tho.

I too wear the same outfit to work each day. Makes life easier.

Packing and Unpacking? by ks1178 (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 09:58:55 AM EST
All you'll have is 2 shirts and a pair of pants in your suitcase besides what you're wearing.

How hard is that to pack and unpack?

Excellent point by duxup (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 10:58:05 AM EST

Although it is nice to just have one spot to dump your stuff for a week rather than picking up and making sure everything is packed safely every couple days.

____
parcells article was pretty hilarious by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 11:05:21 AM EST
the onion does a great job with their sports "coverage".

and i don't think you're weird at all, as far as the clothes thing goes. that's pretty typical for the most part...guys tend to have a "uniform" so they don't have to think too much about cosmetic decisions.

Exhaust capacity by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 11:10:54 AM EST
is directly linked to the combustion cycle.  The car has dual pipes because it needs either two pipes or one big one.

Though, to be fair, they could have designed it with a single outlet and had the same exhaust capacity without doubling the radius of the pipe.

So some of it is looks.

And some of it is preventing you from having a gigantic exhaust like those ricer kids.
---------------------------------
I accidentally had a conversation in italian at lunchtime. I don't speak italian. - Merekat

clothes by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 11:41:36 AM EST
now that some of my parts have gotten huge, i only have a handfull of clothes I can wear.

I hate to go buy anything now, since in another few months other parts will get huge.

Vicious cycle.  and 5 total outfits for me to wear.

book quick by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Jan 11, 2007 at 05:31:55 PM EST
and you can hang out with nick and i in the bahamas.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Bahamas by duxup (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 08:50:39 AM EST
I duno about the Bahamas.  I don’t think I’m an island guy.  I’d rather be wandering around looking at stuff and taking pics rather than enjoying the beach.
____
and you didn't like paris? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 10:31:39 AM EST
that's all I did was wander around and look at old stuff. "wow, this is older than my country..."

It is subjective by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 12:06:11 PM EST
It was something about the atmosphere.  Paris looked nice, had lots to do no question, but it didn’t feel very accessible.  Everyone is busy running around, not rude, but not nice either.

In Rome I felt more comfortable despite my dislike of the oppressive heat.  People seemed nicer, and everything felt more my level and fit my interests more.  My interest in history also fit Rome more than Paris.

Granted all those experiences are relative to the time I spent there.  I could easily got to Rome, get run over by a cab (seems very likely), and get yelled at for it.

____

on language -- by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 12:57:38 PM EST
How'd you feel about not speaking the local language? I'll probably take a trip to Italy (Rome + 2 of florence, milan, venus) within 2 years.

No problem by duxup (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 01:16:27 PM EST
An issue for me, although most of the time I was in both Paris and Rome I was with a guide or a group of people.  Alone I’d at least want a phrase book with me at all times in both places.

In France they always responded to me in French when I’d try a few words.  In Italy, not so much.
____