Print Story Happenings in the world of me
By gazbo (Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 12:42:19 AM EST) (all tags)
First off, I DEMAND AN MFC EXTENSION TILL MONDAY!  Reasons will be given within.

Update [2007-1-10 6:5:54 by gazbo]: Morrissey for Eurovision?

There is quite a lot of content inside.  This is possibly the first and last time I can say that.

Inside: New job!  Gigs!  Houses!  Love life!

New jobs:

Just before Christmas, I went for an interview with another Sheffield company, and received a job offer, which I have accepted.  I consider this as continuing the recent HuSi tradition of changing jobs, and also to make me less of a hypocrite when I mock other people for working in jobs they don't like.

It's not that there was anything wrong with my old job, but general ennui and the stress of having so much responsibility all to myself sucked.  It was hard not to play out in my head scenarios that could quite easily happen that would result in major crises that I would have to sort out on my own.  Even having one other person capable of helping would have eased the concern - misery shared and all that.

New job is still based on web interfaces, but heavily involving AJAX/SOAP and resulting in "cool" things (VOIP, IPTV).  The pay rise, better prospects and stability are all pluses too.

Favourite cheeky interview moment:

Interviewer: "We encourage working from home."
Gaz: "That's funny, so do I."

I start on the 15th.

Gigs:

I briefly mentioned the other day that I had formed a covers band, and that we were playing a gig last Friday.  Well, here are some more details.

I've wanted to do more music stuff for ages, and had had a drunken conversation with someone about how it would be cool just to form a cheesy covers band, just to get out there and play.  Zero artistic integrity, just a bit of fun and a little extra cash.  At the end of November he called me up and asked if I'd be happy playing bass rather than guitar, as he (vocalist) had found a guitarist (mutual friend, better guitarist than me) who in turn had found a drummer (who can keep time!  A drummer!  Who can keep time!)

Naturally I said yes, we picked 5 songs to learn that week, and went to rehearsal.  It was a bit messy, but there was a glimmer of hope.  This is when the vocalist mentioned he'd booked us a gig on Jan 5th playing at his friend's surprise birthday party, giving us about 5 weeks of elapsed time to learn a full set and practice enough to get tight.  We crammed in as many rehearsals as we possibly could, but that still only amounted to 5-6 rehearsals of 2-3 hours.  That's why I've not been around so much; free time has been spent learning basslines

After the last rehearsal, I was actually beginning to think we could do it.  We bought a lighting rig and associated gubbins, decided on a band outfit (jeans+t-shirt is fine for NME's darling credible indie bands, but not for covers bands) and set up at the venue - a pub in Chesterfield.

When everyone showed, I had time for a couple of nerve-settling pints, then we went backstage to put on the outfits and head out.  Nerves were on high terror alert, when I heard the opening riff to Hey Joe.  It happened so quickly I didn't have time to think about anything other than getting ready for my part.  Now Hey Joe is a very easy song for the bass, and thankfully nobody missed any cues for the different riffs.  It sounded great.

Quickly detune to drop-D, and straight into Fat Bottomed Girls.  This is the song I'd decided ahead of time I needed to get right, as it was so early on in the set and the first song where the bassline was really a major part of the song.  It went without hitch, and I was able to relax and get into it after that point.

The first set was 12 songs, ending on Love Machine, which went down really well.  Throughout the set people were politely listening but not much more.  Still, that's to be expected.  The reaction to Love Machine was better though.

Break for half an hour and have a couple more pints.  Nerves pretty much non-existent now.  This time when we came out, people seemed more into it.  We opened with that rock classic Since You've Been Gone, and people were shouting along.  By the end of the set (12 songs) the crowd were well and truly onside, shouting along, singing into the mic when the vocalist went running into the audience.  The only big mistake we made was in Stuck In The Middle where the vocalist went into the bridge when it should have been the guitar break.  We quickly switched to match him, but he just got confused.  Still, we eventually recovered in time for the next verse, so although a noticeable fuck-up, we didn't have to stop playing, which is about the worst thing that could happen.

We went off stage, and the crowd were literally roaring for more.  Now I know they were all friends and friends-of-friends, and so were onside from the start, but it was still a nice thing to hear.  So we switched hats (hats!) into the cowboy hats and did a 2 song encore of Sweet Home Alabama and finally Wanted Dead Or Alive.

After the gig, we got lots of positive comments, suggestions of people who'd want to book us, and general amazement when we said we'd only been together for 5 weeks.

I had a photographer friend take pics, so hopefully I should be able to post some in the near future.

So what's your excuse about the MFC then?

Last night, I started to record my MFC entry (I wasn't leaving it till the last minute; for some reason I thought the deadline was Friday), when I realised that as backups I'd taken my XLR and TRS cables to the gig, and the vocalist still had them.  I'll be able to get them back at rehearsal on Saturday, so I humbly request an extension till Monday, as I'll be unable to record vocals otherwise :(

Houses:

My housemate's moving in with his girlfriend at the start of next month.  He tried to phone the landlord mid-December, but couldn't get through on any of three numbers.  We've not been able to get through since.  A friend said she may want to move in, but fucked around for ages.  She eventually said yes, but would only be able to move in May, and so phoned the landlord to see if they could work around that.  I didn't want to pay the full house rent for the months in-between, of course.

Naturally she couldn't get through either.

Fortunately I've found another friend who'll move in, and will move in from the start of Feb.  We've even managed to get in touch with the landlord after my housemate sent a speculative email to someone with their fairly distinctive name.  All I need to do now is get them on the phone and arrange a date for contract signing.  Huzzah!  Moving house is a pain - I still would like my next house move to be into a house I own.  Perhaps not next year, but the year after.

Love life:

Well, I've wanted out of my job for a while, and I got that sorted at the start of this year.  I've wanted to get more involved with music and performing, and I've now got that sorted.  The immediate issue of accommodation has now been sorted.  That leaves exactly one thing that I would like to change in my life: I require a Gazbette.

I've been quite happily single for several years, with just the occasional (alright, very occasional) one-night-stand.  This is due to a general wariness of getting into relationships for reasons that I shaln't go into.  But finally I think I can stand having a woman around.  Based on recent life-successes (see first paragraph of the section) I imagine I shall "score" within Q1.

Miscellany:

As if you needed telling, I am going to see Sugababes and Girls Aloud in the next few months.  I have decent seats for GA, but the Sugababes seats are literally A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  So there.

< another random entry | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Happenings in the world of me | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Congratulations by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 12:46:49 AM EST
Incidentally, I heard GA do an acoustic version of the Amy Winehouse song "Rehab" on the radio and I have to admit I was impressed.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Yeah, I've got the MP3 by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:08:16 AM EST
It was a good version - particularly impressed that they let Nicola take vocal duty for the first verse.

Maybe they felt that as it was radio they didn't have to worry about "the ugly one" getting screentime :(

Good work! by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:17:19 AM EST
Was it you who chose "Love Machine" and "Since You've Been Gone" then? :) Inspired choices both!

Good luck on the lass front - I made a decision like that a while back, and, erm, well I hope it goes a bit better for you than it has for me.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Sorry, I should clarify by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:26:16 AM EST
That's "Since you've been gone" by Rainbow, not "Since u been gone" by Kelly Clarkson.

Actually, we did rehearse the Kelly Clarkson track, and Pink's "U + UR Hand", but sadly they didn't really work vocals-wise so we dropped them.

But yeah, Love Machine was one I pushed for.

Pink... by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:52:43 AM EST
Is one of the most underrated vocalists IMHO.  CAB WTB bought a PS2 and SingStar for Crimbo, and the Pink songs are the hardest to sing on every edition of the game we have.

She's very good by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:09:34 AM EST
Also, phwoar

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Chavvy, don't you think? by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #14 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:21:41 AM EST
Oh wait, I was expecting that to put you off.

There's chavvy and there's by dmg (2.00 / 0) #31 Sat Mar 01, 2008 at 04:52:37 AM EST
chavvy. Still whatever floats your boat I guess...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Indeed. by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #16 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:39:23 AM EST
Sadly she's married though, so unlucky!

Damn by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 03:46:48 AM EST
I really thought I was in there as well

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Never mind. by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #20 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 04:31:06 AM EST
You're still young, there's plenty more fish in the sea.  Britney's probably going to be needing some portioning soon, even if it'll be like throwing a sausage down a corridor.

I was surprised the other day. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 04:56:02 AM EST
I was looking through a magazine someone had left lying around on a train, and the surprisingly pretty woman in the picture actually turned out to be our friend Brockley Spears, minus most of the stage makeup and with straight hair.

Sausage down a corridor? I heard she was saving herself.

Waiting for nebbish. by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #24 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:23:23 AM EST
Although, having batched out 2 kids in as many years, it'd be like putting a needle through a wizards sleeve.

Did you see Jordan on Graham Norton ages ago? by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #26 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:35:51 AM EST
He was interviewing a woman whose husband had a 12" penis. Jordan turns to her, totally deadpan, and says "You must have a right bucket."

Classic telly.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Will have to look on youtube by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #29 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 06:29:38 AM EST
NT

Good body by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 04:59:41 AM EST
Great voice. Face like a drill sergeant except perhaps when wearing the spiky pink wig. I'm working on lyrics to a Boy's Response to U + UR Hand. I need someone to run that song through a vocal stripper for me.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I think she's gorgeous by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:14:19 AM EST
She looks so dirty I don't even mind the freakishly short arms.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Aye by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 3) #25 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:33:21 AM EST
She's no super-model but she's certainly not an unattractive bird.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Supermodels? Pah! by nebbish (4.00 / 3) #27 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:44:19 AM EST
Is there anyone less attractive than Kate Moss? (well obviously there is, but you know what I mean)

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Ah, OK by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:10:40 AM EST
Dunno the Rainbow one. At least you tried the Kelly Clarkson one - and yeah, the vocals would be tricky.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Typo? by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:17:38 AM EST
I have decent seats for GA

Did you mean /I have decent seats for G-A-Y?

Heh by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:27:31 AM EST
I'd take offence, except for the fact that Girls Aloud and G-A-Y are virtually synonymous.  They play there loads.

If I had a pair of assless chaps I'd go and see them.

That's strange by komet (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:44:51 AM EST
I was certain that Miss Gazbatine existed. Clearly my deductive powers are failing me.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
You may have been confused by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 01:53:15 AM EST
By talk of a young lady who attended the last LHuSi drinks I went to.  She would count under the category of one-night-stand.

Does it count as a one-night-stand if you've had two of them, separated by a few months?

Wait a second by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #13 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:19:56 AM EST
She came to a HuSi drinks and didn't immediately and forthwith cease all contact? Surely that woman's a keeper.

tecnicly by martingale (4.00 / 3) #15 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:26:33 AM EST
that's two nightstands, but don't worry, nobody knows what they're for except women. It's like the mystery of matching duvet and pillow covers, really. I imagine the intelligent designer is a bit of a prankster, too.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Blimey by TPD (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:02:51 AM EST
It may have been a friendly crowd, but by the length of that set list still sounds like it was a pretty daunting first gig (as if I'd know).

Congratulations on it being such a great one and please let us know the dates of the world tour!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

You can have the extension to monday by cam (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:43:39 AM EST
what date is that in the UK?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Impressive... by Metatone (4.00 / 4) #19 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 04:04:47 AM EST
Next project for you, organize a Curry night when nebbish is next in the area.

Plan! by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #28 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:50:37 AM EST
I'm due a visit to Sheffield soon, once my sister's moved house properly (I seriously don't want to get caught out and end up spending a weekend decorating).

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Well, when Nebbish gives a date by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 07:39:18 AM EST
I shall assemble the troops.

Happenings in the world of me | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback