Compiz features that are nifty:
- F12 temporarily tiles all windows (shrunk to fit). Clicking on one returns all windows to their original location and brings the linked on one to the foreground.
- Alt-tab cycles through live-updating thumbnails.
Compiz features that are silly:
- Windows wobble like jelly when dragged.
- Changing workspaces rotates in a cube like OS/X.
- Transparency...blah blah...like Vista only on a machine that can't run Vista.
As theantix can attest, I've had issues through pretty much every Ubuntu upgrade I've done, so I've been leery of Edgy Eft. I'd been telling myself that I should wait for free time. Yesterday I realized that I was not apt to get any more free time this weekend, so I went ahead and upgrade.
It didn't go well.
Things that failed:
- The keyboard and mouse fail with the KVM switch. Random pauses/duplicated characters abound. Lots of googling led me to this. Apparently a "fix" broke IOGear KVM switches. I find the kernel guy's response irritating as this switch has never had an issue with Windows, yet this is the second goddamn time in two years that a kernel update has broken my KVM switch because of error checking...and not the same switch, either, but two different switches! I strongly suspect they are doing something wrong...looking at the code, I suspect they're setting the timeout too short. Anyway, this means I have to recompile the goddamn kernel to get things working. So that's what I'm doing now.
- My slimserver stopped working. I haven't fixed this yet...I suspect it's because this is now part of the base distribution and I used to have a hand crafted one. I removed every bit of both and reinstalled the package...now I at least get the slimserver page, the there are ominous errors in the log.
- My gallery stopped working. Apparently, they decided to just blow away the relevant part of my apache2 configuration.
- I'm sure there's other things I haven't found yet.
At least the nvidia drivers didn't break...though I suspect that they will once I get the new kernel installed. (Even though it should be identical to what I have except for three lines of code.)
Otherwise vacation has been low-stress. Actually, I've been a bit out of sorts from the lack of anything. I uncharacteristically took a week and a half off without real plans. The in-laws were here a couple days and left midday Christmas...since then, it's just been hanging out time. Not counting unemployment, this is the longest time I've ever had with nothing to do. It's wierd. (unemployment isn't the same as you're stressed and job hunting.)
So I've been puttering a lot.
Anyone have any experience with Lasik? I've got an appointment to do it next month.
I gained 5 lbs last year. Given that I'd gained 10 lbs the year previous and another 10 the year previous previous, it's time for no eating and more gym/hiking. I'd prefer hiking (especially since the big present for me was a GPS) but it's getting problematic as the FoML is nearing the limits of the backpack. His legs dangle so much that when it's on the ground, he can stand and walk. Also, at 45 lbs, it's become a serious struggle. Good exercise though.
Silly to say in a big diary, but I haven't had the energy to diarize. It's mostly that work has been pretty decent lately (so no drive to whine) but also busy (so no time to slack.) Seems to be a lot of that around here. Lots of disappeareds and even more post-once-a-month-so-people-won't-thing-I-dieds.
Next weekend I will be at CES...anyone else going?
I've been finally using netflix again. Not sure if I have the energy to review...maybe another day. Those of you that are netflix friends can see early star ratings.
|< Happy New Year! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|