Print Story The Solo
Travel
By MostlyHarmless (Mon Sep 04, 2006 at 08:05:06 PM EST) flying, solo, hirez proof (all tags)
This is Boundary Bay ATIS information Delta.
Weather at zero two four zero Zulu:
Winds are two six zero at five to ten. CaV OK.
Altimeter is two nine eight nine.
Active runway is two five. Takeoffs are runway two five, landings runway two five and three zero. Land and hold short operations are in effect for runway three zero, three three zero zero feet are available. Outer tower is in operation, aircraft entering or transiting the Boundary Bay control zone are asked to contact the outer tower on one two seven decimal six.
This is Boundary Bay information Delta

"Bay Ground this is Cessna one five two Golf Quebec Sierra Sierra on the west apron. Request taxi instructions for circuits, with information delta"

"Cessna Golf Quebec Sierra Sierra, this is Bay Ground. Altimeter is two nine eight five, taxi to runway two five via Charlie. Squawk two four seven zero."

"two four seven zero, thanks. Golf Quebec Sierra Sierra."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra is downwind, and we'd like to make this a full-stop. My student is going to drop me off at the terminal and return to the circuit for his first Solo."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, check your remarks. You're number three behind the Cherokee on base."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra"

"Bay Tower, this is Quebec Sierra Sierra on Charlie ready for takeoff on two five."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, wait for traffic on final"

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, waiting"

* * *

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, you're cleared for takeoff on two five."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, cleared for takeoff"

"Quebec Sierra Sierra is downwind. I'm going to make this one a full stop landing."

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, check the full stop. You're number two for landing behind the Cessna on short final"

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, with the traffic"

"Quebec Sierra Sierra, traffic on three zero is holding short, exit via alpha. Contact ground on one two four decimal three when on alpha."

The flight was awesome! There's nothing quite like the first time the wheels of your airplane lift off the ground and you are the only body the wings are carrying. I was much more relaxed than I expected. Nerves worked out over the course of the few check-out circuits with my instructor beforehand, I suppose. Then I was welcomed to the world of piloting with a traditional baptism of sorts.

My instructor lured me up onto the steps with the promise of a polaroid, then one of my other instructors sprang from behind the bushes and doused me.

My first solo was on saturday, and I was up again by myself for a whole hour this afternoon. Even though you're just going around in circles, I never seem to get bored. I'll be taking a break for a couple of weeks, work is sending me eastwards, but I'm already looking forward to the next flight.

-mh

< As Summer Staggers To An End... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The Solo | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Congratulations by webwench (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 04, 2006 at 09:50:49 PM EST
You made good time getting to your solo this soon, too!

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Thanks! by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 04, 2006 at 10:40:33 PM EST
I'm having a blast. janra soloed even quicker than I did; I have excuses thatarestillmyownfault but that's for later. :-D

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

I missed her post by webwench (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 06:25:40 AM EST
and should have congratulated her too.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I passed it on :-) (n/t) by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 07:50:27 PM EST

[Mostly Harmless]
Check your PM! by edward (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 04, 2006 at 10:48:12 PM EST
n/t

Done! (n/t) by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 06:55:04 PM EST

[Mostly Harmless]
Wow, congrats by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 12:43:25 AM EST
I'd learn to fly but I'm pretty sure I'd fuck it up.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

nah by MostlyHarmless (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 07:48:35 PM EST
flying takes practice, like any skill, and some parts of it require more practice than others (crosswind landings....). But your instructor won't get out of the right seat until they're sure you're not going to fuck it up, and they'll keep with you until you eventually get it :-)

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

Congratulations! by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 06:28:24 AM EST
HuSi needs more pilots.

Expensive PIC time Top Tip: fly together with another pilot and spend your time practicing IFR. Both of you get to claim PIC since the goggled guy is actually controlling the plane but the ungoggled safety pilot is required. Only one of you can claim the landings though.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Wait a sec by theantix (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 10:15:45 AM EST
Now that you can fly a plane, are you sure you can keep your "mostly harmless" nick?  As a foreigner who can fly a plane, you're just one short step away from "terrorist".
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
Don't worry, he's not brown (nt) by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #8 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 10:16:43 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
okay fine, TWO steps [nt] by theantix (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 10:17:14 AM EST

____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
The Solo | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback