Print Story I believe ya dance with the one that brung ya
Boredom
By georgeha (Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:23:35 AM EST) tedium, burnout, dementia, shed queens, Avalon Hill (all tags)
so, another boring diary about me whinging about my family life.

Plus, bikes and leather, talk about the weather, boring hex and counter wargames, and less.

Poll: A boring coat/jacket poll.

Ah Friday, the weekend should be interesting, and I mean that in the fortune cookie way.

First, due to ten year old not handing in notes, five year old teacher's not checking kindergarten folders, and Mrs. Ha running late, ten year old did not get to her psych appointment, and is now out of her ADD meds. At least we'll get a good data point.

Sunday we'll have mother in law, and we have to work out a time to drop her off at the one sisters, who will be coming back from the Bills game. We don't want to kick her out the van door and speed away, but we can't stay long, as Mrs. Ha starts her phlebotomy class Monday. On the positive side, Mrs. Ha talked to her other sister with no fallout.

Oh yeah, we have no child care plans for next week either, and the paternalistic school district isn't big on letting kids off with no parents home. Stuff is being explored, though.

Still no go on the bike, I need to take apart the starter clutch and remove a thrust washer that wasn't on there when I bought it, but the manuals says it belongs there. I think today, from 5:00 to 5:20, on my commute home, I'll wallow a bit in being too poor to own a newer reliable bike. Then I'll get my hair cut.

I wore my fashion leather today, it's cold out. Fall is definitely here, cuts on my skin heal slower, I sometimes wake up with a bloody nose, days are shorter, leaves are falling, fresh apples are in, Penn State football is losing, blah, blah blah.

Today was picture day at school, so last night Mrs. Ha got ten year old's hair cut. This took a while, so I had a few hours to myself, and rather than do something sensible like take a nap, I dragged out Swuad Leader to finish what I started in Richmond. I didn't, in the two hours I played I did one full turn, but I did get some cool armored vehicle combat, as well as Nazi's burning up Russkis. Enemy at the Gates would have been much better with flamethrowers, and more nudity. I still have about 4 hours left to finish scenario 3.

With yesterday's rain, and today's cold, I'ce cycled through two coats/jackets. What sort of coats/jackets do you have?

< Gambling Blues | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I believe ya dance with the one that brung ya | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:27:37 AM EST
I'm from California. What's a "jacket"?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
It's one of those satin things they give to by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:36:26 AM EST
movie set crews to set them apart from the locals.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
You don't go skiing in the afternoon by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:38:47 AM EST
after surfing in the morning? What kind of faux Californian are you?

Don't come back here again unless you have some crazy drug fueled orgy and new age religion stories, we're counting on you.

I've got stories like that by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:50:22 AM EST
and I'm a Virginian.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Tie MIL to the roof by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:36:11 AM EST
and leave her on the porch chair. Heck, I've even got the car you can borrow for the real Nat'l lampoons feeling.

Hmm, maybe they should give her the car keys back by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 06:41:08 AM EST
it sounds a lot cheaper than a nursing home.

wipo by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:28:22 AM EST
a plain black jacket from DKNY.

WIPO: Swiss army issue woolen overcoat by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:39:05 AM EST
I can't believe you left ``army issue'' off the poll altogther. I also have an M65, but its an uncommon size and I've never been able to find a liner for it at a reasonable price. Consequently, I'm almost always wearing the Swiss wool once it gets far enough below the freezing point that I like to wear a jacket.

One of my big regrets is that I lost my grandfather's army jacket that I found in my dad's garage as a teen. It was a bonafide WWII army issue trench coat. I think I probably ended up leaving it at the Suburban Horror House when I moved out at age 19. If so, it probably got eaten by drunken rats.

Cicero, The Republic
Crikey, I even have an old Air Force jacket by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:50:53 AM EST
that I wore in college, used to use for working on cars. I wonder if Mrs. Ha threw it out, I haven't seen it in years.

a good data point by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:52:13 AM EST
Not really. As she detoxes from the meds she'll sleep alot. After 3 or 4 days she'll be mostly detoxed, wake up, and then all hell breaks loose.

Or not. By the time my parents took me off the mads I had learned the habits I needed to not need the meds.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm not so sure by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 07:56:42 AM EST
she tends to get more squirrely, defocused and scattered in the evening, before bedtime, which would be about the time the time release Adderall wears off.

They do seem to help, slightly, and we haven't noticed any decrease in creativity or personality changes.

They do seem to help by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 08:06:05 AM EST
Oh yeah. I was diagnosed ADD in the early 70's, before it was trendy. Without the meds I couldn't focus for more than a couple of minutes on anything, and was generally bouncing off the walls. When I was in 6th grade, around 77, I was taken off them to see if I still needed them. I didn't. I'm still a bit ADD, but I can function well enough.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heh... by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #13 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 08:18:38 AM EST
I was diagnosed as a "problem child" by the school principle in the 7th grade.

Sadly they didn't have meds to give me for that affliction so I took it upon myself to prescribe my own.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

and by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 01:16:19 PM EST
Northwestern has won 2 games.  PSU may be in for another loss.

Blizzard of Death '06
New Hampshire! by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Sep 30, 2006 at 05:05:03 AM EST
They did lose to AA New Hampshire, so those two wins are a little suspect.

so it is. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Sat Sep 30, 2006 at 03:14:13 PM EST
I still think PSU has a losing season this year.

Blizzard of Death '06
child care plans by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 03:22:23 PM EST
i've recently become part of a friend's childcare team. i havent done any major babysitting in years. good thing kids are durable...
---------
Dance On, Gir!
We're making a plan, we might have four sets of by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 04:17:54 PM EST
people involved, but we're making a plan. Luckily, the kids know most of them.

And gullible [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 01:51:32 PM EST

WIPO by chopper (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 09:30:11 PM EST
You left out vests, and suit jacket.

What, only 2 people with black leather trenchies? Come on, surely I'm not the only introverted sociopath around here!

WIPO: A fucking jacket by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 01:50:50 PM EST
Fucking metrosexuals.