Print Story 23:34
By iGrrrl (Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 06:39:09 PM EST) (all tags)
Yep, it's getting to be that time again.  Late night diaries.

I have to cut 42 more lines from this document. It came to me at 30 pages for a 25 page limit.  On the plus side, I get to type "Pareto boundaries" and to slash long-winded explanations to their essence.  Also, dude, don't title a subsection give me three paragraphs of unframed illustrative background before bringing up any of the words in the title again.

Little K started Kidergarten this month. I dyed her blue streak back in last weekend at her request.  A boy in her class got a red frog on his conduct sticker chart for calling it stupid.

Little MJ started pre-school, too.  I should tell you the story of cleaning the serious poop mess (he tried to use the big potty while wearing a jacket slightly too big) while MJ said, "But I'm a team player, Mama."

I re-dyed my own blue, too.  My boss' boss seems not to have a problem with it, since he spent a good two minutes of speaking time singing my praises to the incoming faculty at their orientation.  I blushed, and damnit, it clashed with my hair.

I should also tell you the story of the hell ride on the Island Queen ferry  in 10-12 foot seas in Vineyard Sound.  The captain parked at Edgartown, and cancelled the return voyage.  He shouldn't have made the trip over, but I have to say that he handled it well.  Then there was the idiot in the 40 ft Ketch headign out of the harbor into the mess.  idiotidiotidiot.

That's all.  42 more lines to axe.

23:41

ETA, 24:00 PI just emailed me the new draft, which he has been editing while I was editing. I am going to bed.

< I say old chap, is that your bra? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
23:34 | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've never understood the deal by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 06:46:37 PM EST
With off-colored hair.

I like it by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 06:53:42 PM EST
It amuses me.

It also scares the soccer moms.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Everything scares the soccer moms. [nt] by debacle (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 07:01:57 PM EST

Fear by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 07:11:27 PM EST
You're daughter is lucky to have the mother she does. Conformity is for losers.

(Oh, and thanks for the package...I can return it if you wish.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

like tattos, piercings, naming your kid kaitelaiyn by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 04:18:57 AM EST
(pronounced kaitlyn). etc. Yup, damn conformists are the problem.

Keepin' it real. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 5) #12 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 10:09:43 AM EST
It isn't easy staying cooler than the rest of you.

In order to keep that crucial edge of non-conformist unpredictability, I've taken to randomizing the tattoo and piercing process. I've found this separates me from the herds of Joe-Wannabes who get the same old, same old tribal bands and lip rings.

My last piece was of an eagle fighting a snake above a banner that reads "You're My Bitch Now" tattooed to the roof of my mouth and my colon has three stainless steel studs in it.

Next week, I'm getting a portrait of Martin Krugman (with the caption "Non-Notable Packaging Format") on the outer lining of my vermiform appendix. My appendix was actually removed years ago, but I had a fashionable SoHo S&M clothing designer make it into a full-head mask last month. It combines a vicious, neo-Brut, post-Prada look with the warm feel of horse hide leather. I love it.

Anyway, I'm certain this tattoo will be especially outré, securing me a place on the bleeding edge of hipper-than-thou for at least a week or so.

Damn! by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 04:01:28 PM EST
And I thought my pretty line from sternum to pelvis and hand-stitched colon-ileum junction was avant-garde.

You couldn't tell me where I could get your stuff done, could you?

Actually, don't. I don't think I'm hip enough to walk within 1.28x10¹⁷Å of them, however, so rather than be banished from this earth into orbit, leave them unaware of my humble gauche existence.

Odd names by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 02:25:01 PM EST
I'm with you on the odd spellings, except that Little K has a slight deviation from the norm in the spelling of her name.  But, she's the fifth generation in the family to use it - it's old form rather than made up.  Is that any better?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

No need to return by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 02:22:24 PM EST
I doubt I could get it back to the MIT frat from whence it came.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

it's amazing by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 07:37:26 PM EST
one miht even say scary. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 02:18:28 AM EST

Late nights. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 07:41:38 PM EST
Yup. We just drove into our driveway, about 10 minutes ago. After being on the road since 8am, I'm both exhausted and wired. I drove; ana navigated. We make a good team. Good enough that we decided to drive straight through rather than finding a hotel and coming in tomorrow. It was the right decision. My cats are purring at us. It makes me happy.

Tomorrow's agenda is to sleep in, pick up the dog, and unload the stuff from the U-Haul (and find space for all of it). If I can help with the 42 lines, though, let me know.

Hey, I'm a team player too! by johnny (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 01:27:02 AM EST
In Egga Town but no call for us?  OR, perhaps, there's a message from you on our "machine".   We have that stupid verizon computerized answering service, and this is how it works: You call up our home number, let's say, nine o'clock saturday morning, and it rolls over because Jake is on the phone for the 15th time today.

And you leave the message: "John! Betty! SOS! MAYDAY! We are taking on water and being surrounded by giant squids and there is an alien spacecraft overhead and what appears to be a Nazi U2 boat surfacing and uncovering its deck weapons.  IS there anyway you can call the coast guard for us?  HELP!"

And then, round about Thursday, the message shows up in our Verizon voicemail inbox.

We want to see you guys; it's past time I think.  We're off this weeked to see Grace at school, but maybe after that?

I don't know if we ever connected after you suggested a sail in August -- another long latency message on our machine --- but anyway I think (hope?) I called your machine back with message we were in New Jersey.

Hey, why am I putting all this quasi-private Email-message-type stuff in a public HuSi comment? I dunno. Maybe I'm joining the myspace generation after all.

Maybe next weekend? by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 06:40:35 PM EST
We went up to Menemsha that day to see MJ's godfathers, one of whom has just moved to NYC. It was intended as a day trip, but we got stranded.

If the weather holds out, sailing with you will be fun.  Please to ask Dear Wife to bring plenty of origami paper to make cranes for Little K.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thinking how to respond by johnny (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 28, 2006 at 02:24:04 AM EST
I plan to be in California starting next Monday. Not sure of my return date yet and have not booked flights. Have not spoken with Betty about this, but according to some email from my boss and metaboss in my inbox this morning, it may be me advisable for me to stay in CA over next weekend, which I want to do about as much as I want to pull out my fingernails with [you get the picture]. But one sometimes must do things like that. . .

We'll get back to you today or tomnorrow.  We miss you guys.

ooOOoooo by ana (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Sep 29, 2006 at 09:20:04 AM EST
Cut every other letter. by mrgoat (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 06:52:09 AM EST
Up to 42 lines worth.

That'll make it shorter.

--top hat--

I love that your blue streak by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 07:11:38 AM EST
clashes with your modesty ; ) igrrl, you are indeed special. I just wanted you to know this. Shanti.

Er... by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 02:26:13 PM EST
Um, modesty forbids me to rate this comment.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I got it covered [nt] by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 05:58:39 PM EST

23:34 | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback