Print Story See right through you
By TheophileEscargot (Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 08:57:16 AM EST) Reading, Watching, Museums, LHusi (all tags)
LHusi Eats: anyone up for a HuSi meal at St John's restaurant? Reading: "In Cold Blood". Watching. Museums.

LHusi eats?
Was talking about this with Nebbish. Who'd be up for an LHusi trip to the legendary St John's restaurant? Possible parameters:
  1. Cost: about £40 per head
  2. Do it on a weeknight so people are more likely to be available
  3. Don't get totally bladdered there (save it for a pub afterwards maybe)
  4. Make it more gf/bf/real-life-friend/non-heavy-drinker friendly than usual?
  5. If enough people interested, go for the feast or whole roast suckling pig options
What I'm Reading
Finished In Cold Blood, Truman Capotes's account of a famous set of murders of the 1950s. Like the title, very cool and lucid recounting of the incident, taking all the different perspectives into account, from the killers to the friends of the dead family to the detectives who tracked them down and the court that sentenced them.

Very gripping stuff, though not particularly enlightening. The psychological stuff seems pretty dated by the standards of modern psychobabble, though probably no worse. Elegantly written, well worth a read.

Museums
Went to see the minimalist Cerith Wyn Evans exhibition at the ICA. Seemed pretty dire to me. Features one large empty room, some neon writing, and a large, impressive film project projecting blank film with just a few crackles.

Usefully though, I went along with an actual artist, who confirmed that it was all terribly unoriginal and boring. I'm sure there must be a German word meaning "the satisfying feeling of having ones prejudices confirmed."

What I'm Watching
Saw classic comedy Some Like it Hot as my dumb dumb-bell movie. Not bad, made me laugh a couple of times, mostly at throwaway lines. I'm not really cut out for screwball comedies though, and the sexual politics has dated it a bit, though it's still watchable.

Ebert review.

What I'm Watching 2
Saw The Black Dahlia at the cinema. Have been reading the screenwriter Josh Friedman's blog for a while, curious to see what the actual film was like

Not actually very good is the answer. I think the critics actually got this one about right. At least it's not dumbed down though: has a convoluted plot with lots of characters: unfortunately the ending seems to hinge on characters who have been barely or never introduced. As a whodunnit, feels a bit spoiled since I can`t see any way anyone could have guessed based on the clues available.

Movie itself suffers from not being clearly either in a realistic mode or stylised mode: seems to veer wildly from attempts at gritty realism to ludicrously gothic ham.

Has a few nice touches like the old Hollywood setting, and some nice vamping. Period feel is let down by anachronisms in the dialogue. Verdict: either wait for the DVD or just give it a miss.

I notice his blog has been mostly silent on the Black Dahlia. Suggests to me that he's probably deeply unhappy about the script or what happened to it: otherwise he'd at least have been dishing out plugs for it. Hopefully we'll see a sordid story emerge eventually.

< Big Bad John | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
See right through you | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ucblockhead trivia fact by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 09:32:28 AM EST
I got married in the hotel much of it was shot in. (Which is in San Diego, not where the movie was set.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
In Cold Blood? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:07:00 AM EST
I thought that was in the MidWest somewhere.

I was assuming by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:12:28 AM EST
The hotel in Some Like it Hot. In the movie it was supposed to be in Florida.
Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:22:22 AM EST
here.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Wow, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:13:52 PM EST
that looks gorgeous. Obviously the Truman Capote reference was me joking.

Would love to LHusi Eat but am too skint at mo. by motty (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:17:22 AM EST
No Tokens.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Nebbish also wants to wait till after payday by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:32:41 AM EST
So it probably wouldn't be for a while.
Yes... by motty (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:13:09 PM EST
But Nebbish has a payday... :)

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Might come by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:20:49 AM EST
Bit skint at the moment though. Life is a bit busy with J starting University as well.

Food sounds good though.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I'm still pissed off by Herring (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:24:19 AM EST
that nobody told me about that last HuSi drinks. Admittedly I couldn't have made it, but that's not the point. Admittedly, the information was probably publically anounced somewhere, but that's not the point.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
codemonkey_uk complained too by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:34:15 AM EST
Might need to go back to the constantly-announce-it method...
Yo dude by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:40:42 AM EST
Which one of the two: Smithfields or Spitalfields?

Either way, very tempted...

Promise no repeat of LHuSi drink-bollocksed eating

Smithfields by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:51:10 AM EST
I think that's the main one.
Does look a very nice idea. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:11:52 AM EST
It is a grand shame that I am so piss-poor. I will see if I could manage it.

Wow, by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 01:30:23 PM EST
Whole roast pig! That would rock.

black dahlia by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 10:50:18 PM EST
Josh Hartnett. Why?
What was Scarlett Johannsen for?
That woman was supposed to be drunk?
How can Hilary Swank talk with that much scenery in her mouth to chew?
Does the screenwriter know the difference between complexity and a big plotting mess?
Why was it necessary to have to dig out a review to find out anything?

I have not seen this film by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 03:38:23 AM EST

However, I have very clear ideas on what Scarlett Johannsen is for.

Mmmmmmmmm...

DFJ?
Eating by stark (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:13:39 PM EST
Potentially interested, will await further developments...
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
Don't wait! by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 02:18:49 AM EST
Eat today. It's good for you.

Like everyone else by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 12:13:15 AM EST
I need to wait till I've got money (paid on 26th of next month), but I think it's a cracking idea and I'm well up for it.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

WIPO by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 03:42:41 AM EST

I don't eat meat. I can't help but feel I would therefore be missing the point of this restaurant.

Of course, I wouldn't go anyway, I just want you all to think about what you're doing when you do go. Think of the fluffy bunnies, or some other such sentimentalist tosh.

DFJ?
Indeed by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 05:29:32 AM EST
I tried some of the Saddle of Fluffy Bunny last time: it was succulent, delicious, and well worth thinking about.

Of course, if you get the Whole Roast Suckling Pig you can look it right in the eye...

The weird thing is by priestess (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 01:12:50 PM EST
While I"m happy to drop that kinda money on booze, or spending all night in a night club, it seems a bit steep for food.

I think probably I just love booze more than food.

Pre..........
---------
Chat to the virtual me...

See right through you | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback