Print Story The pleasure is to play
By TheophileEscargot (Sat Sep 23, 2006 at 01:27:12 AM EST) ODGF, Eating, LHusi, MLP (all tags)

Eating
Finally got to go to the famous St John's restaurant. Been around a while: concentrates on what they call "nose to tail eating": kind of hearty trad-modern food with a lot of offal.

Started off with the bone marrow and parsley salad. Found the marrow a bit bland: you have to extract if from the bones and spread it on the toast with a special implement, which is a bit labour-intensive.

Main course: had the tripe, sausage and chickpea main course. Superb: kind of like a dunkable stew. Tripe was decent, and the sausage was spicy chorizo-ish. Companion had saddle of rabbit which was succulently delicious: probably a better choice than mine.

Sponge pudding for pud: stole some eccles cake as well: both superb.

Would go back. Bill came to eighty-something between us including wine, excluding service.

They seemed a bit fussy over the reservation: actually rang me back on the mobile the day before to make sure I was coming. The place ended up about 80% full, but that was a Thursday; must get booked solid at the weekend.

Menu.

Operation Don't Get Fatter
11st 6: not fatter.

LHusi beers
Not sure what happened to Alice Pulley: he was kind of organizing it but didn't seem to show. Others: Me, jump the ladder, TPD, stark, Breaker. I'm definitely losing my alcohol tolerance: felt distinctly queasy on the way home, but didn't have any incidents, and only a moderate hangover this morning.

Web
George Formby performs The Ace of Spades.

Helpful doctor accidentally invents the Living Within Yourself diet.

Pictures. Earthen Hakka Houses of China. ISS crosses sun. Science visualization challenge.

Global economists: things are just great.

< You mean to tell me there are nice people left in the world? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The pleasure is to play | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
St John by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 25, 2006 at 11:59:08 PM EST
I've been wanting to there. 80 quid isn't that bad, especially as I'd imagine skipping the wine would knock 20-30 quid off the price.

I just want to try some really weird offal.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

What would be great by R Mutt (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:15:09 AM EST
Would be to get 8 people together and have the Whole Roast Suckling Pig. One was carried past us when we were there and it looked impressive.

I know too many soft Southerners though. Everyone I mention it too goes "Oooh, yuck, I couldn't possibly eat offal".

My flatmate by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:35:01 AM EST
Is psyching himself up to cooking some after he was given a cookbook on it, and I've been thinking about it too. It's quite daunting though. Eating offal I'm cool with, cooking it is another matter altogether.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I don't really cook much by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:46:45 AM EST
Liver and bacon is dead easy though, and liver's not really any worse to handle than steak.

I've cooked liver by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 01:05:27 AM EST
And messed it up completely. Cooking something that lightly makes me nervous, though I'm not bothered when it's steak.

I was thinking more of pig's trotters, tongue, brains, you know, the really icky stuff...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Wonder if we could do an LHusi St Johns visit? by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 01:19:44 AM EST
Not sure if we could get enough people together for a feast or the pig. But could probably do it on a weeknight since nobody's getting hammered: weekends seem to be hard for people to make.

I'm up for it... by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 01:45:31 AM EST
Considering I've just spunked 200 quid on a new MP3 player though, it's going to have to wait at least until next pay day!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

The pleasure is to play | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback