Print Story I too had dinner with Mr. Ha - read inside for the *shocking* details!
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 08:39:15 AM EST) All this and much much more!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

More fun than a Tibetian coupe...

They're cleaning my carpets today at the YMCA Rehab Centre. That means I spent an hour this morning dragging as much stuff as I could into the kitchen and bathroom and I'll again have to drag said stuff back into place when I get home tonight, assuming the carpet is dry enough. If not then I'm right screwed and I guess I'll just flop on the couch (it's still in the same place as it's too big to fit in the kitchen) and read all evening.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitchin about it, it's actually quite nice that they send the carpet cleaning lepers my way every once in a while, but it is a bit unnerving having a couple high-school dropouts rummaging about in my domicile whilst I'm not there. Right? Cause I know if I was a chronic dope-smoking high-school dropout guy working at the A1 Carpet Cleaners shop for $7.50 per hour, well, I'd probably nose about in the people's stuff sitting about. Not that there's much to see, really, cause I keep all the El Quadia training tapes locked in a safe-deposit box under a fake name, but still.

Then tomorrow morning I'm going to the "lab" to have some blood taken, then it's a visit to see Dr. Bombay on Montag to make sure the cholesterol is still okay. That means I have to "fast" for 12 friggin hours, although I'm going to damn the torpedoes and cheat with some coffee in the morning. Then directly after giving blood I'm going to the drive-through for a dozen sausage McMuffins! Wooo! Maybe a short stack and some hash brownes too.

Plus I'm going to have her look at my ear. The glands are still swollen, although I otherwise feel fine, except for when the ear feels like it needs to pop. I'm sure she'll have me go give even more blood and then reschedule me for appointments with 34 different specialists just so she can claim due diligence and prevent me from being able to sue her. I've got a sneaky suspicion it's related to my wisdom teeth, which have never been taken out and which my dentist guy seems to think may cause me some grief at some point. I guess it's possible the tooth is pressing against some nerve or something, but then again I would think that might be kinda painful and I'm not in any pain, so who knows. Okay, I'll answer that, Dr. Bombay better know. That's who.

Tomorrow is also the day that my dad is hauling my 200 year old Grandpops off to the last stop on the block assisted dieing living place. Dad's not really cut-out to be a care-giver but to his credit he's lived with Grandpops for the past 7 years doing his best, but Gramps is getting to be too much for him. If Gramps can get over being out of his house, the same house he's lived in for some 50 odd years, it may be the best thing for him as he can make some new friends to yell at and they have 3 big-screen TV's there so he can actually watch TV if he wants. Still it's kinda sad. So here's looking at you Gramps, you're kinda nutty at times but you always did right by me!

< Nothing like getting lost.. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I too had dinner with Mr. Ha - read inside for the *shocking* details! | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm sure it's a sad day for Gramps by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 08:51:02 AM EST
but tell him to look on the brighter side, sometimes those aides and patient care techs wear low cut blouses so you can peek at their hooters when they bend over to take your vitals.

Plus, if he's single he'll be a hot commodity, you might want to pack him up a care package of stuff.

There's a bazillion internet pages on removing your own wisdom teeth, you ought to give it a shot.

Well by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 08:58:02 AM EST
I'd tell him to look on the bright side, but he see's everything as a kinda blurry dim blob, so that would be rather mean.

You're right about the being single part though, I'm guessing every 90 year old woman in the place will be making eyes at him when they get a load of the fancy new walker he's cruising around in.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Make him a Tee shirt with Ben Franklin's by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:01:23 AM EST
quotes about older women on it.

Truth be told by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:07:05 AM EST
I'd be surprised if there are many older women there. Gramps will be 98 in a few months.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

100 - 2... by Murkey (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:57:21 AM EST
People my age always wonder if killing ourselves would be better than to live out existence at 60+. I guess you really do need to get that far to figure out what it's like.

Kudos to him, and hope he likes his new home.

He's had a good life by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 10:38:38 AM EST
He was pretty vibrant until his 80's, in fact he worked until he turned 80 and only then had to retire because he got some rare illness that was mis-diagnosed.

He didn't give up driving until 90 and it's only been the past couple years that his quality of life has really gone downhill.

I hope he likes it too, it's going to be a rough adjustment for him after all those years living in the same house.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

removing your own teeth by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:07:48 AM EST
One of the more unsettling things I found while cleaning out my dad's house after his untimely demise was several of his teeth, roots and all, in the soap dish in the half bath connected to the master bedroom.

Cicero, The Republic
Nurses are not what they used to be... by superdiva (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:40:59 AM EST
today, nurses wear those unisex scrubs with high-impact running shoes.  If Bob's grandpa can catch a gander at anything, the nurse would probably  be suffocating him.

But yeah, the elderly female residents will sniff out freshmeat pretty quickly.

_________________________________________________
Psych-E.org

You should see an chiroaudist by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 08:51:25 AM EST
That's someone who specializes in popping ears.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
He can just buy some ear candles by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 09:00:35 AM EST
and do it himself at home.

Go to an Ear Nose and Throat person Bob by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 12:17:50 PM EST
"The glands are still swollen, although I otherwise feel fine, except for when the ear feels like it needs to pop. " Sounds kind of like my chronic ear problem. Meniere's Disease. Can be nasty if not caught early.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Urg. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 01:03:46 PM EST
That reminds me that I need to call my primary physician to get a referral to make an appointment with an ENT. I've got similar ear symptoms, including a bit of hearing loss and constantly popping ears (constant unless they don't pop and just hurt). Why can't I just get someone to fix them over the intarweb so I don't have to actually talk to someone???
In the olden days by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 02:04:48 PM EST
My mom used to be able to call her doctor and have them write up a prescription for some antibiotics without ever having to go in. Nowadays that's pretty much unheard of.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Right by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 01:57:37 PM EST
I need to see my GP first as the insurance will only pay for a specialist if I have a referral from my GP.

What a great healthcare system!!

Dr. Bombay knows her shit though, so if she doesn't know what's going on I'm sure she'll put me in touch with some bloke who does. The odd thing to me is that it's only on the left side of my head, the other side is fine, which again makes me wonder if it's a tooth on that side that's wreaking havoc.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

My problem by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Sep 21, 2006 at 02:19:57 AM EST
is only on the right side.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

tibetan coup? by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 01:40:10 PM EST
man you sure are behind the times. don't you mean a thailandian coup?

which reminds me, have you ever done the joke (has to be on a close buddy) where you are standing next to the guy and you kinda lean in and say "hey, you ever been to thailand?" and he says "no" and you punch him  in the nuts and say "now you've been to bangkok" and laugh your ass off.

I'll try that with Mr. McMurphey by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Sep 20, 2006 at 02:06:15 PM EST
He's got a pretty good sense of humour.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Fake name by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 21, 2006 at 02:50:44 AM EST
My brother has mail sent to my father's house a lot.  I was at my dad's place this morning and noticed a letter to my brother.  He used his middle name first on this one.  All things considered I don't really want to know anymore.

---------------