Print Story update
As we last left the story, our hero theantix was puzzling over a completely theoretical scenario involving Hurricane Joh3n hitting the city that a friend of his was traveling to.  Our hero, theantix, presented four options that presented a range of choices which represented every possible contigency and asked you to decide, a la Choose Your Own Adventure, what his friend should do.

Inside: or so he thought...

If you recall (and why the hell would you), I presented four options in an if/then pseudocode pattern and put it up for a vote.  As fate would have it, reality ending up not fitting the pattern.  I'm not sure why God keeps fucking with me, after all I don't believe in Him... but anyhow.  One of the variables in the equation was if the hotel would refund the money or not, an equation that has two possible results, yes and no.

Except we, and by which I mean me, overlooked a third quite obvious  result: that being "who the fuck knows?"  The hurricane that Joh3n sent to Los Cabos caused an evacuation of the city and the staff of the hotel I was booked at was evacuated.  So there was no policy in place for if they would refund or not, and the people who would decide that were in the process of fleeing the city.

I took this as a bad sign and did the only reasonable thing and cancelled our trip, refund or not.  Since then Alaska has now cancelled the flight entirely so I would find it hard to believe that they still intend to charge us for the hotel that we cannot get to.

Instead of Cabo we are going to Whistler BC, which from what I hear does not usually get hurricanes this time of year.  If one shows up I'm going to have to chalk it up to fate and just assume that it's my destiny to go from one unlikely hurricane destination to another until  I finally die of dysentery or whatever.

Thanks for you advice and kind words, we're going to have a great time regardless of the stupid hurricane.

Oh, and I got a notice saying my Green Card application was officially approved. woo!

< Post-morting | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
update | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Poll Answer: YES by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 07:51:52 PM EST
In the U.S., at least. I have no clue about other countries rules. Above 12,500 but at or below 14,000, the flight crew must use oxygen if they are above 12,500 for more than 30 minutes. Above 14,000, the flight crew must use oxygen at all times. Curiously, the passengers don't have to be provided with oxygen until the aircraft is above 15,000.

Indeed by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 08:07:13 PM EST
In Canuckistan Flight Crew must have oxygen when flying above 10'000 for more than 30 minutes, but everyone must have oxygen when flying above 13'000 for any amount of time.

-mh (who takes the blame for the poll question. The answer, however, is 100% Certified Organic Theantix)
[Mostly Harmless]

AOPA actually recommends that as well by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 08:11:24 PM EST
And O2 when above I think 8,000 at night.

Well, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 03:44:30 AM EST
flight crew's more important than passengers. It's not as if there'll be any long term effects if they do pass out.

On the Helios Airways flight that crashed last year due to depressurisation, the post mortems found that everyone was alive at the time of impact, after 3 hours in an unpressurised plane.

How does that work in La Paz by Greener (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 08:40:32 PM EST
When the airport is at 13,313ft.

glad to hear by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 02:33:54 AM EST
you're not trying to fly into the eye of a cat4 hurricane. Enjoy the alternate plans.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

glad to know cuz i was wondering by BuggEye (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 06:10:23 AM EST
I was a bit worried you'd get marooned somewhere inbetween. Glad you took control and found an  alternative destination.  Let us know how you like Whistler.

That Joh3n has terrible timing, eh?

being at home and grousing by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 06:28:44 AM EST
is better than being stuck at an airport and grousing or being stuck in a hotel ballroom and grousing.

Have fun on the non-tropical honeymoon.

So in Mexico by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 10:54:13 AM EST
is it pronounced Juantresn?
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
El tres by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 01:26:59 PM EST
er es silencio.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

You! by skippy (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 10:58:40 PM EST
I saw you moments ago!

You and your supplemental oxygen.  I think that's why I got altitude sickness one flight on a little Twin Otter - I didn't know that it was available.  I felt really crappy and dizzy and vomity and my face went numb and I was passing in-and-out of conciousness.  Oh wait.

No, it was something else.  Now that I've had one (and had it diagnosed as such), that was an anxiety attack!  Oh, that makes FAR MORE SENSE why it didn't go away after we landed and started driving to the mining camp!  Come to think of it, I think the symptoms started around the time when we had just taken off, and were climbing above the strong gusting winds that were cutting over the mountains, and the STALL WARNING buzzer kept going off every few seconds.  We weren't all that high yet...

WIPO: I blame theantix. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Sep 03, 2006 at 10:57:40 AM EST

update | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback