Print Story Post-morting
By aethucyn (Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 07:23:10 PM EST) (all tags)
This was my first entry for a WFC with my entry Anniversary.

I didn't think very long before writing, letting myself simmer on it for maybe a day. My original thoughts were that the subject matter was naturally quite life-affirming, and positive, and that frankly, I don't really do life-affirming or positive. I then briefly considered zombies, but I rank zombies at a level of pirates and ninjas. Everybody likes them, but anything that attempts to include them sucks.

The idea I did use, pretty much came in one single burst. If not every aspect, than enough of the plot and the major points that the rest was just minor tweaking. This was probably the major problem with it. Usually, when I write, my stories are very character driven. I tend to have vague notions of what should happen, but once the characters get going, they can derail the action, or simply react to it differently than what I'd originally planned. Aside from some superficial characteristics, I didn't have a good feel for either Courtney or David, and I think it prevented any real identification with either.

On the other hand, I do still like how I incorporated the theme. Mostly because I'm unsure if it's real or not. On the one hand, David could have been just creepy, on the other, maybe Jessica did possess Courtney. Courtney's protests don't mean that it wasn't true.

All in all, even if the story wasn't entirely successful, I think the effort was something for me to learn from in that I have to be wary that when working on my usual weak points (plotting) not to neglect my usual strong ones (character). Also, I should maybe stray from restaurant scenes, they're a bit too signature for me.

< Update on Dad's GF | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Post-morting | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I did like the theme in your story... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 03:47:26 AM EST
and I thought it was an interesting twist on the ghost/reincarnation/possession trope. I, too, have difficulties in balancing plot and character. I usually create characters better than I do plot, and I still don't have the balance between the two right.
concept by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 05:22:49 AM EST
seems to count for a lot with WFCs, and this was a good one. I also enjoy stories like this in which later events cause you to view something that was mentioned earlier in a new light. All I know is that when I read it I wished that it had been my entry instead.

Do not misuse.
Wondering if you'd mention "Vertigo." by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 10:08:35 AM EST
That Hitchcock flick was the first thing to pop into my head when I read your story.

Great work, by the way. This is your first WFC? Damn, I'm going to be classed out of this thing before too long.

Hmm by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 02:20:03 PM EST
I don't think I was actively thinking of it when I wrote the story, but I recall that the film did come up recently in conversation. So, maybe it was an unintended influence.

I really liked yours, as well. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 02:24:30 PM EST
I don't think there were any poor entries in this WFC.  Like the MFC, the WFCs are getting better and better.

Your story stuck with me more than the others.  I kept referring back to it.  For me, it was one of the signature pieces in this WFC.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I liked it by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 05, 2006 at 06:15:56 AM EST
I liked it better when she got to the restaurant and they started talking.  It's easy to skim 'opening exposition' paragraphs because they usually fail to grab me, but you had some key points in there.  One way to give that information would be for her to be on the phone with a girlfriend while getting dressed.  Would have made it a bit more alive.

Concept?  Very cool.