Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:03:15 AM EST) A Day in the Life, WTF, Epictetus, perseverence, pie (all tags)
If Zeus wills it

I was an outcast as a kid. I tried to watch some of the TV shows the other kids talked about but they generally sucked. Rerun and his schtick from What's Happening got old, fast. Diff'rent Strokes? Yeah, right. Stroke this! No, I spent my time playing pinball and video games, programming or hacking on my Atari 800, or reading the most obscure shit I could find in the public library.

Looking for this was my form of protest against the horrible books the school library had and the even worse books which normally made it to our assigned reading lists. Fuck Dickens. If he were alive today he'd surely be working as a freelance technical writer, pounding out eight pages where two lines would suffice.

x-posted to the blog, sans poll.

In my search for obscure books I was led to Epictetus. I read The Manual and was struck by its insight and relevance. While I didn't know the philosophical terms "Prohairesis" and "Dihairesis", I did grok the content:
Lead thou me on, O Zeus, and Destiny,
To that goal long ago to me assigned.
I'll follow and not falter; if my will
Prove weak and craven, still I'll follow on.
It was exactly this quote that came to mind as I sit for hours trying to install the new version of $OurBigApp. By Zeus I will get it installed, even if that means sweating in a hot room connected via VPN to a virtual server via Terminal Services.

I have the latest build of our spiffy new version 4. It's final beta. It still fights me every step of the way during installation.

I finally got it working... sort of. Enough to at least test a few functions. I fired up the client and watched as our hot-as-hell, super-cool, A-number-one, ultra-hyped Super-Duper VERSION 4 software throwing up the splash screen with the old, giant version 3.X logo. In a shipping beta.

Fuckwits.

< Arse. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Zeus doesn't love you, or Windows by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:51:33 AM EST
but struggle on, struggle on.

The implacable will to oppose the universe is the only thing that separates us from the monkeys.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

Not true by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:07:24 AM EST
Actually it's our opposable thumbs that separates us. Now quit spreading your right-wing GOP un-truths!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Still not true by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:34:08 AM EST
It's the ability to laugh. Well, that and leg warmers.

Still still not true by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:52:42 AM EST
It's our need to have a supreme being that we can blame all our problems on.

ObBillGatesM$oft by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:14:34 AM EST
Blah blah

Thanks for the 4, by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:21:57 AM EST
but I said 'supreme' being. As in God. The God who tells us we are right and everyone else is wrong. The God who demands that we jihad against all those infidels and who rewards us not with goodness, but with absolute tawdry, slutty naughtiness when we throw our lives away for the causes we attribute to Him. The God who kills our babies because He told us it was OK to not put seat belts on them in the car or helmets on them when bicycling. Like I said. A 'supreme' being. 'Cause after all, it's all His fault.

Oh. You mean by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:24:37 AM EST
George Bush?

Actually, you also seem to be behind the times - there is a news article this week that says wearing a helmet increases a rider's chance of being in an accident.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

helmet link? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 11:35:17 AM EST
was it those in helmets are more likely to be in accidents, or was it helmets increase the chance of an accident? There could be a difference.

I originally saw it on the BBC site but by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 03:11:57 AM EST
Here's an ABC link.

Basically, the guy claims car drivers give less clearance to men wearing helmets than they do to men without helmets - and they give the most clearance to women.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

so, then you exaggerated by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 05:40:22 AM EST
more than the article. It says that drivers go closer to people wearing helmets. It doesn't say people wearing helmets have more accidents, or that they as a class have more injuries than those without helmets.

Errrr.... No, I didn't. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 07:24:05 AM EST
Cyclists who wear protective helmets are more likely to be knocked down by passing vehicles, new research from Bath University suggests..

Being knocked down pretty much qualifies as an accident unless, of course, you think the drivers are doing it on purpose?

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

yes, yes you did. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 09:43:02 AM EST
Here's what the scientist said:

"By leaving the cyclist less room, drivers reduce the safety margin that cyclists need to deal with obstacles in the road, such as drain covers and potholes, as well as the margin for error in their own judgements.

"We know helmets are useful in low-speed falls, and so definitely good for children, but whether they offer any real protection to somebody struck by a car is very controversial.

"Either way, this study suggests wearing a helmet might make a collision more likely in the first place,"

So, the study doesn't say what you or the article says. It says that what you wear affects the clearance that cars give you.

Is english your native language? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 09:59:00 AM EST
Because I really don't see the difference between

"..wearing a helmet increases a rider's chance of being in an accident."

and

"...wearing a helmet might make a collision more likely in the first place."

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

obviously you did very poorly in english, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 10:19:54 AM EST
or logic classes. The first is a definate statement. The second is phrased as a maybe, ie a hypothesis for the next experiment, not the results for the current experiment.

Snort. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 10:22:11 AM EST
So, I should take English lessons from someone who can't spell?

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
yes. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 01:18:47 PM EST
idoit.

You misunderstand. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:25:46 AM EST
By "monkeys" I meant "Democrats" - and they do, in fact, have opposable thumbs, but they lack the true grit, gumption, piss and vinegar to triumph over people who, you know, actually own handguns.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
I'm a democrat and I don't own a handgun by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:25:39 AM EST
But if you come to my house toting your candyassed handgun, I'll show you the real meaning of firearm with some sleek twenty gauge pump action goodness.

Cicero, The Republic
So typical by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:42:31 AM EST
Your grasp on power has been slowly slipping away from you so you invent this opposable thumbs threat as a way to manipulate and fear-monger the public into voting for you.

Sad, really. It's just sad.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

If the Republicans Lose This Election by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:45:31 AM EST
Then The Opposable Thumbs Will Have Won.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
Poll should be multi-select. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:53:33 AM EST
And you work right down the cube-corridor from me, don't you?

Sorry about that head-into-desk thud by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:10:13 AM EST
YET ANOTHER fuckwit decided to change his system from 8859-15 to Unicode simply by running ALTER DATABASE.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

I only recently by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 06:12:32 AM EST
read any Dickens somehow I missed it in school.  As an adult I really liked him, I probably would have hated it as a teenager though.  This makes me glad I somehow never read any of the "classics" in school I am reading some of them now and I have actually enjoyed most of them.

Dickens == Stephen King (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:14:10 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WIPO don't use the MS nomenclature by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:21:31 AM EST
alpha = internal testing (possibly incomplete)
beta = external testing (must be feature complete)
RC = really could release
released = actually works.

I'm not sure when the entire industry decided to follow that "released" means "to testing".

Wumpus

Word got out during the bubble: 'beta' == special by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 10:02:44 AM EST
Beta was a preview and back in '95 or so, very few people had access to betas, most of them rather technical and knowledgeable enough to install in a sandbox. By writing about how great they were, certain column authors cough * Dvorak * cough managed to spread the word that they were special enough to get advanced copies.

The herd mentality kicked in and everyone wanted to feel special. Comapnies realised that normal, non-technical people were willing to install the will-probably-break-your-machine shit simlpy to be able to do so before their friends and cow-orkers. It only fed the hype and led to even greater initial sales.

So much so that companies actually promote their beta shit. They offer it to any sucker who'll take it, and an incredible number are happy to drink the purple Kool-Aid because, while they're not really that thirsty, they might be sometime soon and anyway, it's not only sweet, it's purple!

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia