Print Story Arse.
By Alice Pulley (Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 02:50:03 AM EST) (all tags)
I just wrote a big long diary and then some kind of bad voodoo happened to the internets and its all gone.

Shorter version below.

POLL: Are the Vampire chronicles by Anne Rice any good??? I fancy a bit of entertaining fiction.

Stuff thats happened.

New flatmates in and all going well. Hes a good mate and I saw a lot of him anyway so no surprises really. Already helping on the not going out because bored at home front.

Spoke to Claire. She called me as she has a few bits of mine and I have a few of hers. We're going to meet up to exchange. It was an awkward call rather than an unfriendly one, maybe a faint slimmer of hope we can salvage some kind of relationship in the future. I really hope so.

Pursuit of significantly younger woman. Going reasonably well, chatting via email and bumped into her in the corridor and chatted away (yes folks, not only is she too young, she works in the same company as me!!!). Might not be able to make her birthday night out on Friday due to getting back late from Germany but we have agreed to do something maybe the following weekend anyway. She really makes me laugh and is very sweet and thats exactly the sort of company I could do with. Plus, very cute.

Stuff happening.

Going to Paris tomorrow a.m., then onto Germany Friday a.m. and flying back friday evening. Presenting to senior management in both (gulp) re upgrading an already unpopular piece of software. Joy. All flights/travel arrangement booked at minimum of cost and no regard to my state of tiredness when trying to present. Fuckers.

Gigs booked:
Primal Scream
The Killers (when tickets go on sale tomorrow anyway)
Tenacious D

Thats about it really. Not very interesting in retrospect, but if life gives you a dull 30 year old, make dull diarys I say.

< Stiff, unnatural, oddly robotic | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Arse. | 58 comments (58 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Err, err, might I suggest, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:06:10 AM EST
that maybe, just maybe, you make up your mind regards to C and like, err, decide what you want. I mean, doubtless you've already discussed it, but like, decisions would make, like, life easier for, you know, the both of you.

As far as perky younger woman goes, oh, I don't know, have fun, make your mind up, etc, etc.

Sir you misread. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:28:03 AM EST
Mind is firmly made up, firmly, there is no getting back together ever. I would like her to be as much of a friend as possible in the circumstances.

And as for for Perkina, fun is what I would like to have rather than all that angsty bollocks.

Think of poor DullTrev. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:35:10 AM EST
How will he manage without anyone to call doomed?

Sorry for the misreading. Friends is a good idea. (note to self, need to send email to ex)

Mmm, Perkina, that's a beautiful name. Sounds like you're in luck there. ;)

I could always just talk to myself. by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:48:24 AM EST

Like normal.

Friends is never a good idea. Cut her adrift, man, avoid all contact! It's the only way to stay sane(ish).

DFJ?
Much as I care for her... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:51:36 AM EST
...I will only stay friends if there is no hint of weirdness. If there is, I will do as you say.

"No hint of weirdness" by DullTrev (4.00 / 7) #16 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:54:32 AM EST

Oh, sorry, I must have somehow slipped into a parallel universe where this is not UTTERLY IMPOSSIBLE.

DFJ?
I think that universe is called by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #25 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:18:36 AM EST
20 year's time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 6) #45 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:27:19 AM EST
Yeah, because you'll never have a weird moment looking at someone who used to sit on your face.

That's what Mark Oaten said. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #46 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:40:05 AM EST
Oh wait, maybe there was an extra 'h' in there somewhere.

Vulgar... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 2) #47 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:42:28 AM EST
...but somehow captures the point in a far superior way to Dulltrev.

Sorry to disappoint you. by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:51:46 AM EST
But I'm going to have to reply to you here.

OT: Aha ! by Phage (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:53:13 AM EST
Sooner or later that remark on 'normal' intelligence will come back to haunt you. Probably because it forgot something the first time and thought it would just pop back to the arid centre of nowhere to get it.

In other news - I agree 'friends' is never a good idea.

'Normal' Intelligence by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:06:06 AM EST

Scousers are special.

DFJ?
Arrrgh, you made me lose some coffee ! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:11:19 AM EST
That cost me money that did.

DT will survive. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:53:04 AM EST
Come on - we all know something will go wrong before too long!

Mustn't get into the habit of calling her Perkina - if there is an inopportune moment on the cards, I do not want to accidentally call her it.

Anne Rice by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:17:10 AM EST
The only time I read one was during the most boring day of my life when I looked after a market stall for a mate. It was the only book around. It was dead long and I read the entire thing. Don't remember a single thing about it and didn't feel the need to read any others, so that's probably a thumbs down from me.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Not a glowing recommendation. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:31:39 AM EST

Imagine a day time soap opera that spans ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:33:45 AM EST
centuries and involves vampires who ``come out of the closet'' so to speak after millenia of hiding their true nature. And there you have the Ann Rice vampire novels.

Cicero, The Republic
Wait - is that good or bad? by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:53:58 AM EST

That all depends on your perspective, don't it? by lm (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:29:38 AM EST
*N*ot *T*elling

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO: Only if you're a chick by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:40:28 AM EST
Where in Germania are you going to be? Why didn't you spend an extra day or two and drop by the Oktoberfest?

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Heppenheim... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:55:47 AM EST
...which is a janut south of Frankfurt. I would love to go actually but with recent purchase of flat I have very few shiney bauable with which to trade for beers.

literary brain candy by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:40:31 AM EST
I've currently crossed genres for my mental sugar fix and am reading as many Kathy Reichs books as I can get my hands on.

Never read any Anne Rice. The Tom Cruise film bored me stupid and the books mainly seemed to be enjoyed by people who make my teeth itch.

I just got through a big chunk... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:57:41 AM EST
...of Harlen Corben crime-y type books. Really good pulpy thrillery stuff and ideal when you just want to give your brain a rest.

I didn't like some of the film but must admit I do think Vampires should be good subject matter.

Hints and tips by DullTrev (4.00 / 5) #12 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:52:41 AM EST

Friend becoming a flatmate: Avoid.

'Relationship' with ex: Avoid.

Birthday night out with young person: Avoid.

Paris: Avoid.

Being the schmuck who works on the application everyone hates: Avoid.

Primal Scream: Avoid.

Being 30: Avoid.

DFJ?
Oh by DullTrev (4.00 / 3) #19 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:57:39 AM EST

Anne Rice: AVOID.

DFJ?
LOL - good god I love you! by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:00:58 AM EST
You should come to London soon for a night out. I want to see what you're like in real life.

Hmm by DullTrev (4.00 / 3) #26 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:25:11 AM EST

Picture the scene: Night. Outside Euston station. A tall portly gentleman looks around, obviously waiting for someone.

Suddenly, he gasps, And falls forward, clutching at his lower back. His clothes are staining scarlet, and his lifeblood begins to pool around his prone form.

DullTrev (for it is he) peers into the dark shadow behind where he stood. "W-who...?"

A figure moves out of the shadow, and looks down at DullTrev contemptuously. Alice (for it is he) sneers, and says "You know what you are? You're doomed. Doooooooooooooooomed."

Alice wipes the knife in his hand of fingerprints, and tosses it onto DullTrev's chest. He walks away, into the shadows.

FIN

Um, I might be a bit too busy to get to London. I mean, they have Australians there as well, there are just so many risks.

DFJ?
Did someone say beer ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:30:16 AM EST
Actually that's a good idea. We should try and get a Lhusi drinks in before the weather turns too foul.

Jinx. by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:33:58 AM EST

I'm too insensitive for that by Phage (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:34:57 AM EST
C'mon. Whaddya reckon ?

I'd be up for it... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:37:47 AM EST
...obviously depending on timing. You wanna do a arranging type diary???

OK by Phage (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:41:06 AM EST
The Anchor ? I have a vested interest as it's close to my office.

I'm up for it. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:43:59 AM EST
But, wait, err, wow, it looks as if I'm busy for quite a lot of the dates. I must be using someone else's diary.

Done by Phage (4.00 / 1) #38 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:53:07 AM EST
But as I'm away from the 26th I've kept the list fairly short.

Dammit. by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:32:44 AM EST
How did you know of my evil plans? Seriously though, surely someone should be organising some LHuSi drinks soon.

There you go, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #33 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:40:19 AM EST
you're even writing him an Anne Rice novel now, too.

I hear that there exists convenient and easy transport from Cheshire to London in this day and age. I am of course a world expert in this as I went to London in June, and was in Cheshire this morning for precisely 3 minutes.

And if you're busy, you're not dull. You might have to admit to just being another of Bob Abooey's alter ego's if you keep this up.

there are Americans there too by MM (2.00 / 0) #53 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:10:54 AM EST

Yay: by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:48:46 AM EST
Tenacious D, The Killers and Germany look pretty roundly endorsed there.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell... by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:57:52 AM EST

Tenacious D: No opinion.

The Killers: I like.

Germany: No opinion, plus it's not full of the French.

DFJ?
Are you feeling alright? by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #40 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:03:03 AM EST
I never realised that there were things you actually liked.

But of course! by DullTrev (4.00 / 3) #41 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:08:14 AM EST

I like pina coladas, and taking walks in the rain.

But, no, seriously, there are things I like. Like The Killers, or being proved right about relationships, or the almost imperceptible sound of someone's soul being crushed.

DFJ?
Pina Coladas ?! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #43 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:17:33 AM EST
Weirdo.

I've never had one by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #44 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:23:42 AM EST

So I might like them.

Never let it be said I am quick to judge.

DFJ?
Kind of, good, good, OK, Good Lord NO! by atreides (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:57:13 AM EST
Some of the Vampire Chronicles are alright. Interview is merely OK which is amazing since IIRC it's her first book ever. Lestat and Queen of the Damned are both much better. I may be the only person on Earth who liked Tale of the Body Thief but I liked its interesting (if somewhat stupid) premise. Memnoch the Devil... I'd sooner gouge out my eyeballs than try to read it again. In fact, it's the reason I never gave The Vampire Armand a try. Well, that and I'm many years past most of that crap...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Funnily enough... by Alice Pulley (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:02:57 AM EST
...it was reading a brief extract of the Body Thief while crashing at a friends house that piqued my interest. I just randomly opened it and read a couple of chapters - he is in the human body and sick and then goes on to take a nuns virginity.

Worked for me.

Well, as I said... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #37 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 04:48:49 AM EST
...the plot is a little silly, but slightly believable. I mean, when you're the most powerful being walking the Earth, what do you do with yourself? On a side note, I found his suicide attempt kinda funny, but maybe I'm just weird that way...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Perhaps an analogy... by Alice Pulley (2.00 / 0) #42 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:13:25 AM EST
...would be the various 'antics' of our ultra-rich sports stars.

I may give a couple of the more highly recommended ones a go.

Interview was not her first book by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #49 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:58:47 AM EST
but it was her first book under her own name. She had previously written "adult oriented fiction" under at least two pen names.

Perversely enough, Wikipedia claims her parents blessed her with the name "Howard Allen O'Brian" which might explain her fondness for psuedonyms.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

Oh yeah! I forgot about that!!! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #52 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:38:24 AM EST
The Beauty books and shit! Me and my defunctive memory!

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

I was going to correct you too by lm (2.00 / 0) #54 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:15:22 AM EST
But when I looked at Wikiality, it claimed that Interview was written and published in the seventies before any of her pseudonymous fare came out in the early eighties.

Cicero, The Republic
WIPO: Read the first few by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #48 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:51:18 AM EST
but dear lord, stop after The Vampire Lestat and, maybe, if you absolutely have to, read Memnoch the Devil.

Rice had a really creative idea with Interview with a Vampire but she immediately reverted to her true calling - writing one handed trashy mass produced romance novels

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

IAWTP by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #55 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:08:41 AM EST
I really liked Interview With The Vampire and Lestat. Everything after that became painful to read.

Disclaimer: I read them when I was about 15. It's quite possible that if I reread them now, even the first two would suck.

Vive le Montréal libre.

I enjoyed by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #50 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:19:10 AM EST
the first two I never got around to reading the rest.  It is a very interesting view on vampires.  If you like Gothic bubblegum it should fit the bill.

anne rice by 256 (4.00 / 1) #51 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:23:59 AM EST
i've read two of her books, both in situations where i had nothing else to read.

read "interview with a vampire" while waiting for a tow truck when my car broke down way out in the boonies. found it in the trunk, have no idea how it got there.

the movie was better. and i thought the movie was mildly enjoyable pulp.

read "servant of the bones" in mexico. it was one of very few english language books i found at the used book stores.

i remember it actually being a pretty compelling read, though i can't say how much of that was a result of having read whatever literary detritus i could find in the months previous.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Anne Rice by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #56 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:55:22 AM EST
I am going to stick my neck out and recommend Anne Rice to you. Like every author however, there is only so much on one theme you can read, so I suggest you ration yourself. Its a bit like David Eddings; one 5 book epic is fine, but when he produces three or four with the same plotline you feel a bit jaded.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Tenacious D by dmg (4.00 / 2) #57 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 03:21:45 PM EST
Motherfuckers!!!
Ain't no time for crossing over, from the PM to the dawn!
Maggotron is gonna rock them, Maggotron has got the bomb!
Cute younger woman = hot secks. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #58 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 05:23:41 AM EST

Arse. | 58 comments (58 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback