Print Story My Heart's Devotion
By paperdoll (Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 06:03:55 AM EST) (all tags)
Sweet terrible siren release me.  Okay it's not as monumental as quiting smoking or anything but it's still going to be hard for me.

Diet Coke my love, my own, my addiction.  I will soon leave you.  Yes I a certified Diet Coke head will soon abandon my one true love.  I have drunk it since Middle School I adore the fresh clean chemical taste.  During college I was up to a two six pack a day habit.  Since then I have gradually cut down, at the beginning of the year I stopped buying cokes for the house, but still drank it at work.  Now I have a plan to stop drinking it at work too.

I am getting an Ice Tea Maker for my office, it should be delivered soon.  The tea I ordered came on Monday.  I ordered decaf green tea and passion fruit wulong tea.  I have been fixing up tea bags half and half for the last two days.  I have been brewing it strong in a coffee mug then pouring it into a glass with cold water.  This process is kind of a pain in the ass but the tea is so delicious that I have already cut my Diet Coke consumption at work in half.

When it can be worked up by the pitcher I plan to cut Diet Coke completely out of my daily routine.  I will probably still have it when we go out to eat because most places serve sweetened tea which I can not stand.  I do not like any sort of sweetener in my tea, hot or cold.

I am already starting to suffer though, the decrease in caffeine is pulling me down.  My aspartame addiction is kicking in as well.  I'm still drinking some, admittedly yesterday it didn't taste that good and I wished I had brewed another glass of tea, but I am still getting some of it's lovely chemical badness.  I fear how bad it will be when it's completely gone.  I don't know how long it will take before it's easy.  I don't even know how long I can keep it up.  I know it's much better for me to drink tea but the Diet Coke always seems to call me back.

< LHuSi Beers | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My Heart's Devotion | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Wow by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 06:17:18 AM EST
12 cans a day ? Just wow...
I suggest espresso.

yeah it was bad by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 06:37:01 AM EST
I had one before and after each class and 2 with each meal.  Sometimes I would even have more depending on how long I was up studying.

And you still have teeth? n/t by skippy (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:24:12 AM EST

/Steve Coogan by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 06:32:35 AM EST
"I decided to give up my two worst habits - smoking and masturbation.  I'm down to 20 a day but I haven't managed to cut back on the ciggies yet".

Have you tries Stevia? by a user by any other name (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 08:33:53 AM EST
It's natural and almost tastes like artifical sweetners, but it's good for you.  I love it in my iced tea (I know you said you don't but it might be worth thy try).

Good luck and may the force be with you!

In the interest of completeness, by ni (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 09:13:49 AM EST
it's really far from established that stevia isn't bad for you, let alone good for you. Wikipedia has a reasonable, if minimal rundown.

My bet is that it'll turn out to be fine, but it's going to be a while before the public can say so with certainty. Were I looking for artificial sweeteners I'd probably consider using stevia, but I think claiming that it's good for you is misleading.

[explaining the sledge-hammer] We had to maintain discipline among the floorboards. -- MissTrish

I don't like by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 11:18:51 AM EST
the way tea tastes sweetened artificially, naturally, not even honey.

How I kicked diet coke by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 10:10:28 AM EST
I used to be a tremendous diet coke junkie as well. Particularly when I was working as a cook, I used to fill up a 32 oz plastic cup of diet coke, and go through it every hour. My habit decreased somewhat after that point, but I still drank a lot. Then, when I was living in Vegas, I made a trip to Boston to visit friends. The people I was staying with had no soda in the fridge. I'd have coffee when I started the day, and considering how late I was starting the days, it wasn't that long until evening came. At dinner, I tend to enjoy alcohol more than soda anyway since the flavors of beer or wine complement food so much better than the sweetness of soda.

So, as it turned out, I went a week without soda without even intending to. It wasn't until I arrived home that I even realised it. So, I opened the fridge and pulled out a can, popped it open, took a sip, and nearly gagged. It was disgusting. I really think we're just conditioned to like the stuff early on, and then fail to realise how awful it is. The hardest part for me has been finding some sort of neutral beverage. I like some iced teas and some lemonades but most are just too sweet. I think the next beverage bottling genius will be the person who comes out with a low-sweet line.

I found one the other day. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 05:45:38 AM EST
The Carpe Diem drinks are a nice level of just slightly sweet, and quite tasty for it.

you'll be happier when it's gone! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 10:14:12 AM EST

I hope so by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 11:23:01 AM EST
when I've tried before I'd only make it a few weeks then it would start creeping back into my daily routine.  One can with dinner would become two, then at work too until it's an integrated part of my life again.

the secret by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 11:31:58 AM EST
is to not have one at all, for any reason.  "don't start, won't be none"

it's like me with donuts....i have come to learn that I can't have just one, so I don't have the one to begin with.

learn to love water - it will save you.

I love tea also. by calla (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 06:17:26 PM EST
It's a fantastic replacement for soda - which I have given up also.

You can do it.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

How long by paperdoll (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Sep 15, 2006 at 11:21:03 AM EST
have you been off the sauce?  I'm at 2 days with no soda at all.  I need meetings or something, does AA have a soda branch?

a month or so. by calla (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Sep 15, 2006 at 04:03:56 PM EST
I bet you would be welcomed at a 12-step meeting - if you wanted. 12-steppers are interesting folks. Everyone should go to one of their meetings at least once.

I think my tale by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Sep 16, 2006 at 05:56:15 AM EST
of soda binges and hard diet coke addiction might fall a little flat with folks trying to overcome real problems ;)

You'd be surprised. by calla (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Sep 16, 2006 at 07:53:58 AM EST
I spent two years doing 12-steps groups. I've never been much of a drinker, and especially not alcoholic.

Interesting people. My favorite group was "Arts Anonymous" - artists of all types getting together.

My Heart's Devotion | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback