Print Story Announcing CFC3: "A wild, frothy adventure-cocktail!"
By BlueOregon (Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 01:02:51 PM EST) (all tags)

I have given you time to mourn. I have given you time to recover. I have given you time to clear your heads, gather your creative juices, and develop an itch.

Flex your noodle, it's time to doodle -- announcing Comics Fun Challenge 3: "Life is short, art is long."

Inside: rules, questions, prompts.

Rules:

... exist to be broken.

But, to quote/plagiarize spacejack, we write them down anyway just in case someone decides to follow them.
  1. Length: one file. Treat it as a page. If it is larger than what can fit, unscaled, on a 'standard' computer screen/monitor, it is preferable to have to scroll only up-down, or only left-right.
  2. Size: a picture is worth a thousand words. 640K should be enough for anyone. To quote spacejack: "Don't be an asshole." JPG, GIF, and PNG images preferred.
  3. Deadline: Monday October 2, 2006, 23:00 GMT (giving us 3 weeks, including a final weekend):
    1. 9am (Oct. 3) Sydney, Australia
    2. 1am (Oct. 3) Central European Time
    3. 7pm (Oct. 2) Boston, USA
    4. 6pm (Oct. 2) Chicago, USA
    5. 5pm (Oct. 2) Denver, USA
    6. 4pm (Oct. 2) San Francisco, USA

Questions:

1. UPLOAD SITE (provided by 256!)
  2. Does it have to be funny? Does it have to have a punchline? Does it have to be a complete idea? Only in the sense that people tend to respond favourably to those sorts of things. -- So, no.
  3. Related: Can it have a story/narrative? Can it have no story/narrative? Can it use words? Can it be only words? Can it be wordless? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
  4. Can I team up with another HuSi (a writer and artist pair, for example)? Yes.
  5. Tools: See the CFC2 announcement. In short:
    • You can draw/paint it digitally, using a tool like the GIMP.
    • You can do it digitally with clip-art or premade images (e.g. stripcreator [when/if it works])
    • You can draw by hand, scan (or photograph), and edit, if you wish.
    • You could use a physical collage procedure, etc., scan (or photograph), and edit.
  6. Art suggestions: Do what you want. Do what you know. Do what will challenge you.

The important thing(s): create and have fun.

Prompts:

Think of these as possible inspiration for stories, images, ideas, but I do not intend this to be quite as theme-oriented as the WFCs. The three prompts are organized as: 1) a general topic/theme, 2) help to get you going or a story/punch-line inspiration, and 3) examples of current works that might provide art ideas or just things to read.

"A fisherman disappears near Peru. Without a trace. Norwegian oil drilling experts come across curious organisms that have taken over hundreds of square kilometers of seafloor. In the meantime whales along the coast of British Columbia undergo an uncanny transformation. Non of these seem to be related, but Sigur Johanson, biologist and aesthete, does not believe in coincidences."

• On a day much like any other day
  • Patriot Day
  • Beyond Saddledome
  • Bye bye boycat

In the comics world, Alan Moore's Lost Girls has been completed. DC recently cancelled their (generally high-quality) anthology series, Solo. Andy Riley has two books of bunny suicides. Girls, by the Luna Brothers, is up to issue 16.

Discuss ...

< And lo | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Announcing CFC3: "A wild, frothy adventure-cocktail!" | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Ooh by theantix (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:16:39 PM EST
I am totally not going to forget to file my entry this time.

And it will be AWESOME.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

You can enter late by debacle (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:22:30 PM EST
If you bribe 256.

s/bribe/are/ by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:26:14 PM EST

... but bo will know, and will not be pleased.

I wasn't going to take the shot by debacle (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:31:49 PM EST
How will you know?

Also, I need a theme.

But not if you want to win! by theantix (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:56:33 PM EST
WINNING IS EVERYTHING.  It's a well known fact.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
I suspect -- hope! -- that it ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 02:27:47 PM EST

... has to do with theantix was here, whales, and cheese.

I can't draw for shit. by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 04:10:23 PM EST
At least this announcement means the pressure's off for coming up with the theme for the next WFC.

-- Do the math.
1+1=2 by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 04:33:50 PM EST

1. Not being able to draw for shit never stopped anyone; I welcome shittily drawn entries alongside artistically sublime works of serial-story-telling mastery.

2. The pressure is not off ... merely delayed, for now that you have more time before WFC4 (assuming that you're using CFC3 as an excuse to put WFC4 off for a while), we -- meaning those of us eagerly awaiting WFC4 and its theme -- have higher expectations regarding said theme. Choose, but choose wisely.

re: 2 by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 07:29:59 AM EST
Yes, I am using CFC as an excuse not to call WFC yet.  And yeah, "higher expectations regarding said theme"?  No, no pressure.  Sheesh

-- Do the math.
u didn't like me theme? /nt by fleece (2.00 / 0) #25 Sat Sep 16, 2006 at 07:42:54 PM EST

I think... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #26 Sun Sep 17, 2006 at 01:37:33 AM EST
BlueOregon was referring to the CFC theme - there are higher standards for WFC themes than CFC themes. And you met the standard.
indeed [nt] by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #27 Sun Sep 17, 2006 at 05:34:55 AM EST

Can you write a script? by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 05:25:57 PM EST
I can't much draw, either, but it's fun when someone else gives me an idea.
Interesting by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 07:31:49 AM EST
I can try.  PM me as to your drawing strengths/preferences.

-- Do the math.
Will do. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 08:08:09 AM EST
I should warn you though that I'm not really good at things that many other artists take for granted, like say, perspective and lighting. If you want, I can email a copy of my previous CFC entry so you can get a sense of my "style," if you can even call it that.
Attention Hulver Infidel by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 05:45:24 PM EST
Seems that voting something to the front page now removes it from the diary page, and, it may be, also from people's hotlists (I'm pretty sure BO is on mine, but since I rarely visit the front page, I missed this story til someone pointed it out to me.)

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Um... by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 05:46:49 PM EST
I meant Watchlist. And yeah, he's on mine, and no, this story wasn't.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

Fixed by me0w (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 05:18:22 AM EST

funky by TPD (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 11:27:12 PM EST
anyone fancy a colab before I make a start at a solo effort?

Also like Ana mentioned VSTFP seem to have a wierd effect on the story now.... it's no longer in the diary section

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

I'm in by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 06:21:55 AM EST

You can draw.

Seriously, though; I've got a couple of ideas. If you're up for it, I'll try and get them sketched out (i.e. scripted).

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
excellent by TPD (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 11:12:54 AM EST
I'm definitely up for it, send me a PM or Email me by filling in the blanks in this tricky tiebreak _ony_aul_ay@Yahoo.co.uk, when you have some kind of script and I'll give it a go

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I ALREADY WIN!!! by ReallyEvilCanine (3.90 / 10) #13 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 03:12:38 AM EST

_________
              _/         \_
             /   R.I.P.    \
            |              |
            |   k5 ASCII   |
            | Re-enactment |
            |   Players    |
            |              |       .;;.
            |  2001-2005   |    _   ||
            |              |    >'. ||  _
            |              |    `> \||.'<
            |        @ @   |      `>|/ <`
            |        \|    |       `||/`
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

is that a cactus? by 256 (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 11:15:29 AM EST
nt.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I'm still sulking by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:43:10 AM EST
at the way my creative genius was roundly ignored by the CFC #1 judges.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
I fear ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 05:55:54 AM EST

... it was too meta and intellectually stimulating for the pedestrian tastes of this crowd. But fear not! This is CFC3 -- "frothy adventure-cocktail" says to me "booze" ... and booze is very meta and intellectual ... as the judges will be as well (frothy, cocky, and meta).

Sorry, but ... by crux (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 11:01:20 AM EST
mine was the one that was too meta. And if I recall, I did even worse than ObviousTroll.

Outside of the MFC by cam (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Sep 13, 2006 at 07:41:12 PM EST
That's why we have by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Sep 14, 2006 at 08:07:12 AM EST
the "genious unappreciated in their own time" award.

I have an inspiration by webwench (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 11:46:53 AM EST
alas, I fear my complete lack of drawing talent will betray me.

Perhaps pseudo-claymation is the way to go. But I bet that too requires talent :(

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

You could co-op with someone. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 04:53:34 PM EST
I uh...know a guy.

If you're into that kind of thing.

you mke it sound so... by webwench (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 06:16:14 PM EST
...dirty.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Isn't that your thing? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 06:35:58 PM EST
Because if it's not - and it doesn't have to be! - we can do whatever your thing is.