Print Story Patriot Day
By aric17103 (Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:10:42 AM EST) (all tags)
Or as I call any other faux holiday that does not actually give me a day off with pay -> Bullshit

It would be a great holiday to...we could call it something like A day to remember or some other nonsense and use it as a launch for holiday shopping (instead of waiting till after Halloween / Thanksgiving). Also, since it is right after labour day it would be like getting two mini vacations in a row. I always stretch those Monday holidays into 3 or 4 day weekends -> think of all the stuff you could get done around the house with 6 days off in two weeks! Plus the kids would love it, right after starting school they get a day off OK, I am emailing my Senator, someone has to get the ball rolling.
< Mad Max: Beyond Saddledome | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Patriot Day | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:16:39 AM EST
Turning a Monday holiday into a 3 day weekend is really pushing it--I hope you don't get fired.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I meant to say by aric17103 (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:23:48 AM EST
4 or 5 day weekend....I am trying to type while seething with anger over having to come to work on what should rightfully be a holiday

WIPO by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:27:58 AM EST
It stands for "World Intellectual Property Organization." It's a archtypical governmental organization that follows the typical neocon philosophy of "when our philosophy and reality disagree, reality is wrong and must be changed" and then attempts to force their agenda on others in exchange for aid. The inclusion in the poll denotes a refusal to accept that the other poll options (reality) make any sense and an insistence that their way (the WIPOed answer) must be forced on everyone else, who don't necessarily want to hear it.

Don't worry, it's understandable that you didn't immediately grasp the metaphor. It just means you're not very smart and probably an American.

Vive le Montréal libre.

thanks for the explanation by aric17103 (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:33:53 AM EST
and you are correct - I am an American and a dumb one at that!

You are so brave. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 10:02:01 AM EST
Righteously standing up to this horde of mourning people . . .

So insightful too. I never before noticed how often important holidays get co-opted by commercial interest. Go figure.

I wish you luck with your letter writing campaign.

Dude by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 10:42:13 AM EST
Patriot's Day is in April. "The shot heard 'round the world" and all that.
Once you get used to the idea that everything is equally true, decisions get much easier. -- johnny
patriot act day then? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 12, 2006 at 02:55:05 AM EST

You sir by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 11:11:34 AM EST
Are more American than President Dr. Steve Elvis America. I salute you.

Patriot Day | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback