Print Story bye bye boycat
Death
By georgeha (Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:15:28 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm not much of a cat person, maybe my self esteem is too high to enjoy caring for something that barely deigns to acknowledge me, or maybe my self esteem is too low to tolerate caring for something that barely deigns to acknowledge me, but I do think if I lived alone, I would not have a cat.

But, our 15 year old seven toed male cat was one heck of a cat, maybe because he was so doglike, I sure did like him.

He died Friday night.

We got Merlin fifteen years, two moves, two children, two cats and one dog ago. The first night he showed what a pain in the ass he could be, burrowing out from under the bathroom door to sneak out and pee on Mrs. Ha. The he started attacking grey cat, one year old, continously until she started putting up with his advances, and even allowing some spooning.

He was doglike, a favorite game was to play fetch with a small ball of aluminum foil. I never knew a cat that would play fetch. With his extra toes on his front paws, he looked like he wore catchers mitts, and he had quite a grip. He was big and athletic, visitors were always astounded to see him leap to the top of the six foot high TV cabinet in one bound. only a few days ago he would go out on our upstairs back porch and jump down to the ground floor, if we were too slow in going downstairs.

Eight year ago we got our dog. We put a gate on our open cellar stairs, so the cats had an escape. Greycat never recovered from this trauma, but Merlin slowly made an accomodation with the dog, and they had a grudging respect for each other, though most of the time the dog though of him as his own, elusive sex toy.

Seven year ago we moved, and not long after this, Merlin got out. It's hard to prevent a cat from getting out with a dog going in and out and pushing holes in the screen door. Of course, he loved being outside, and would come in and out ten times a day, banging on the screen door if outside, or meowing loudly if inside. He would often greet us on the front porch when we came home.

He became a neighborhood fixture, walking up and down the block with you when you walked the dog, going across the street if you were over there, he was a little king of the closest houses.

In March, greycat died, and the calico we got in the fall wasn't as good as company for him. She was too young and wild and not as nurturing as greycat.

This summer we were getting concerned about his street crossing habits, especially after we lost our calico one night. He would take his own sweet time crossing the street, sometime laying down in the middle. Maybe his cataracts were blinding him, maybe he couldn't hear as well, he certainly seemed unconcerned about traffic.

Friday night, about 10, I heard him cry a few times, it was his painful choking up a hairball cry. I went to the front door, and called him, but he didn't come. I figured the hairball was out, and he was fine.

About 10:30, someone rang our doorbell. That late at night, the best I can hope for is someone trying to find the right house for a party. It was a guy, asking if we could bring out a plastic container of water, there was a cat in the road that had been hit. I asked if it was orange, it was. I told Mrs. Ha "Mer's been hit."

It was Merlin, lying in the driveway, in serious pain with blood coming out his nose. One leg was broken, and his breathing was labored. I went to get a piece of cardboard to bring him home, and when I came back, our neighbor who worked at Mer's old vet's office came by. She said with his age, even if we took him to the 24 hour vet hospital, about all they could do was euthanize him, he wouldn't survive surgery.

We brought him home and laid him on the soft grass. While Mrs. Ha comforted him, I called the 24 hour hospital. For $100, and a short wait, they would euthanize him. I was torn, I know that if I were given a choice between dying at home with loved ones, or in a sterile office, or even in a box in Toyota, I'd pick home.

One last time he tried to crawl away under the porch, but we brought him back, he was fighting until the end. Soon, he started kneading Mrs. Ha with his claws, and let out one final roar. About 11, his eyes stopped responding to light. His old heart kept on going until 11:30. This was my first time watching someone die.

The dog came out and sniffed him, and wandered away. We brought him inside, the new cat came near him, but wouldn't get any closer than a foot away.

We told the girls the next morning, and later I dug a hole, next to greycat. We buried him with catnip, and a small foil ball. Five year old helped me shovel dirt on him.

< and the rain came tumbling down..... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
bye bye boycat | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
:-( by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #1 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:22:08 AM EST
nt
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That's tough by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:29:58 AM EST
I'm so sorry.
Once you get used to the idea that everything is equally true, decisions get much easier. -- johnny
He had a good long life for a cat by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:31:18 AM EST
and he really enjoyed this summer.

So sorry. by ana (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:30:17 AM EST
:-(

It's really hard, losing a pet.

Regular, or decaf abomination? --Kellnerin

sorry mate by cam (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:40:58 AM EST
:( You gave him a good eulogy.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

He had a lot of personality by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 07:43:17 AM EST
it's easy to talk about him.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat by Bruce Perens (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:20:47 AM EST
But I have to wonder. Well, by any chance was the driver of the car of the Muslim persuasion? I'm only wondering because there's been a lot of strange things happening lately that all point to one thing...

-- Probably the toughest time in anyone's life is when you have to murder a loved one because they're the devil.

Most Ahabs are peace loving people who only by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:26:20 AM EST
want to live their lives in peace, let's not blame the whole Ahab world for the actions of a few fanatics.

the only malice those Ahabs have by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 01:44:21 PM EST
is toward that damned moby dick.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
When I was little by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:33:30 AM EST
We only had one animal that wasn't euthanized. I don't really see the meaning in the thing. Pain is one thing. The termination of fleshy life is another.

Sorry for your loss. Most cats are a pain in the ass but some cats can be as good as dogs.

I wish the neighbor had something by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:39:57 AM EST
but apparently vet's assistants don't carry hypodermics with barbituates around. I hated seeing him suffer, but by the time I got to the hospital and waited around and such, he probably would have been dead.

Fare thee well, Merlin the Boycat by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:39:47 AM EST

I find it touching that you buried him with his prized small foil ball. He sounds like a good lil' dude, sorry he passed away. Even after a full cat-life, loss is loss, and it's never easy, made even less so when the cat is a good cat-dude.

He never got to play with that ball by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:41:34 AM EST
it was a fresh, unplayed with ball. Since we got the dog, he didn't play with foil much, because as soon as he started to play, the dog would get jealous and try to have his special love with him.

Sorry by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:20:33 AM EST
I worry about our cats ... the males regularly decide the middle of the street is a fine place to stop and clean themselves.

Losing a pet is rough. *HUGS*

I'm sorry by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 09:30:19 AM EST
My sympathies to you and your family.

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

seven toes? by komet (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 10:19:19 AM EST
what, you mean he had a total of 28? I've heard of five-toed cats, but never seven.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
only on the front by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 10:33:06 AM EST
and 6 may be more accurate, since his dewclaw barely counted.

cats that fetch are the best by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 12:09:40 PM EST
Today I saw a Parkdale punker 'wearing' his cat on his shoulder, walking along the street.

1) sad, 2) a sad but fitting write-up by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 04:46:56 PM EST

Thanks for sharing.

I have seen plenty of animals die; I have yet to see (in person) a human die (e.g. family member). My first experience of death was at age 3 or 4 when my cat, Frosty, was hit for the second time by a car. My next cat, Bigfoot, looked much like Merlin but with shorter hair, and only six toes per foot -- he, too, was hit once or twice by cars.

I miss having cats ... the best owner a man can have.

Orange marmalade kitty boy. by calla (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Sep 11, 2006 at 08:32:12 PM EST
Now he's off to be a tiger someplace else.

Good thinking sending him off with his foil trophy.

Thanks for sharing his story.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

bye bye boycat | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback