Print Story I Want A Refund!!!
Family
By Mrs FlightTest (Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:13:27 PM EST) (all tags)
So far, this year sucks for the FlightTest household.

Due to recent events I must vent here in my diary. Enter at your own risk as this contains much whining.

An accounting of this year:

1. Today:
    Got home from work to find the little light flashing on the phone to indicate someone loves me!! Play the message and it is incoherent. My father is trying to leave me a message through his sobs.

I freak out, before I am even done listening to the message, I call FT & leave a message on his cell phone to call me ASAP, something has happened to dad's gf. I then proceed to call dad to get the 4-1-1.

Last night, dad heard gf crying so went to see what was up. She yelled at him to get away from her, so dad dutifully took the dog for another walk (he had just come in from walking the dog a.k.a. dad's shadow.) Shortly after he returned from the second walk she asked him to call 9-1-1 as she could no longer stand the pain.

Apparently gf has had a problem with her left breast for over 10 friggin years!!! It is larger than the right & she mumbled something about it bleeding as they were loading her up in the ambulance. She is certain it is cancer.

From the info I was able to get out of the two of them, it would seem that the cancer has metastasized into her bone. She hasn't been out of the house in over a month. Dad said he has heard her crying in the past, but never asked her about it. She is a selfish bitch if you ask me. She never once thought about how this would affect anyone else.

Yes she has "suffered in silence" over the past 10 or 15 years, but not really. The pain has made her a mean nagging critical bitch (no, I'm not buttering this up for you) so we have all heard it, we just didn't know what the root cause was.

Dad said she has progressively gotten worse over the years. I personally thought she had a tumor in her stomach as she looks about 10 months pregnant.

From what she told me tonight (I called her in her hospital room), her left breast may very well be gangrenous. Dad caught a glimpse of it at the hospital when her gown fell open/down and said it looked black and blue. Then she told me that they are planning on doing surgery tomorrow and need to remove the dead flesh.

This crazy woman has been "self-treating" for years with hydrogen peroxide!!! Her daughter turned 43 today & she doesn't want her to know.

I plan on trying to reach her anyway. She lives in WY & I don't have her phone # but I do have her email address. IF it is as bad as I think it is, she may never make it home from the hospital. I don't want to be the one that didn't tell her daughter that she was gravely ill. Besides, were it the other way around, I would want her to tell me regardless of what my dad said to do.

2. Earlier this month:
    Our only country station in the LA area simply ceased to be.

One of FT's cousins was killed (crushed in a press of some sort) in an accident at work.

FT had a conflict btwn work & school, which has the potential of forcing him to choose between the two.

3. July:
    FT found out he has a hernia.

One of our cats got sent to kitty jail.

I became lopsided.

I also suffered from painful radiation burns

4. May:
    MRI of my left breast had a suspicious spot so I had to get an ultrasound with possible biopsy. (At least this had a happy ending for the time being with nothing found on the ultrasound).

Got tattooed for my radiation treatments & started said radiation.

In preparation for the radiation I got blisters from the tape that was used to mark something for the techs. It had to do with the CT scan & the physiologists deciding exactly where to radiate me, from what angles & all that crap. All I know is that the whole damned process was a royal pain in the arse.

5. April:
    Deaths:
    Our furnace.
    The a/c in FT's SUV.
    My dad's beloved horse.

I had a lumpectomy that left me with some nasty blisters and more time off work than I would have liked.

6. March:
    The night before our 9th Wedding Anniversary, we got a call from my doctor informing us that my breast biopsy came back as cancer. Our lives changed forever in the blink of an eye.
So you see, I want a do-over or a refund or something. We seem to be bad luck magnets! Hey Stacky & Clock, are you sure you want us at your wedding?????
< Somebody's Right to Choose | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I Want A Refund!!! | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)
So sorry by frijolito (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:16:57 PM EST
Try not to be too hard on the gf. She's from another time, from when people were taught to be ashamed of their bodies.

She was probably only really, really embarrassed to talk about this with anyone. I'm sure we can all relate to that.

More like by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:41:15 PM EST
She has some strange ideas about doctors. Now, I'm the first to admit I don't like going to doctors, but this woman seriously thinks they're all quacks and that folk remedies are better.

She's only 66. She grew up in Los Angeles, for pete's sake, not the back woods of Montana.

LA by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 01:41:59 AM EST
'alternative' central. Crazy lack of belief in mainstream stuff doesn't have to come from the boondocks. Intelligent, well educated people can convince themselves of almost anything.

My dad once told me by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 02:18:04 AM EST
``why would I waste my money going to a doctor. I'm not going to listen to what one would say even if I went.''

As far as I can tell the last time he had any professional treatment was when he was 19 and taken to the hospital in an ambulance after a car accident.

Cicero, The Republic
oh my by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:35:35 PM EST
just.....wow.

we still want you at the wedding!  come, relax for a little while.

*hugs*

Well, by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:37:54 PM EST
The hotel room is non-refundable at this point, and FIL said to go, so we'll be there.

Also, *MY* theory is, since we seem to be bad luck magnets, we *NEED* to be there to attract all the bad luck to us, away from you.

Evlis will make things better by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:44:01 PM EST
I promise!

Not if you spell His name that way, he won't by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:57:48 PM EST
I've heard he's kinda touchy about that.

awww peas! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:01:10 PM EST
cut me some slack!  this is the 4th night i've worked this god-forsaken 12hour shift.  i've had very little sleep.  did you read in my diary about the shakes and the nausea?!  I've been doing beadwork for 5 hours straight!

FORGIVE ME, KING!  FORGIVE ME!

If I wasn't up way past my bedtime myself by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:10:12 PM EST
I'd have to make a "The King" account just to say "Thas ahright little missy. Ah understand"

Yeah, I read .... I just had to tease you was all. I'm glad this is your last night, the whole thing is unbelievably petty and childish.

for real by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 02:36:12 PM EST
Please be seeing Bubba Hotep.

Blizzard of Death '06
thanks by Mrs FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:43:39 PM EST
we'll be there. We plan on flying up to my dad's on Monday if his gf is still in the hospital.

I believe I failed to mention that my dad is a wreck, but he said we should still go to the wedding since there isn't much we can do anyways.

Cowboy Take Me Away!!

Feck a duck ! by Phage (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:56:47 PM EST
<speechless>
Need a hug/cup of tea/shot ?

#hugs# by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 02:13:21 AM EST
I want a do-over of this year, too - just too much bad stuff has happened, amongst the good stuff. If I could do it over without losing the good, man, I'd be right there with you in line for the time machine.

Re: Your dad's gf - that just sucks. It sounds like it's spread quite a bit if her abdomen is swollen, and it may not be a tumor, but fluid build-up caused by a smaller tumor. I've learned in this hell-year that fluid build-up is a symptom of ovarian cancer. :-( All the best for you and FT and for your dad. (BTW, I think you'd be doing the right thing, calling the gf's daughter).

What a bumpy journey you've been on this year by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 03:56:38 AM EST
I hope the road smooths out a bit in your near term future.

Cicero, The Republic
i'm so sorry... by clock (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 04:20:44 AM EST
...2005 wasn't really a great year for a lot of people i know.  misery seems to demand company these days.

all i know is, we want you to come hang out with us and elvis.  watch us drive by in the pink caddy and wave!  we're excited to meet you and we're hoping that our insanity will provide you with a bit of a distraction and a festive memory or two.  a little sweet for the bitter, as it were.

take care of yourself.  and don't try to sneak a water bottle on the plane!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

HA!!! by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 06:34:25 AM EST
We will probably bring 3 or 4 bottles of water on the plane! And a couple cans of aerosol cleaners! Probably a knife or two as well!!!!

stacky sez... by clock (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 08:24:20 AM EST
...can you make one of those aerosol cans hairspray?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Any brand/type in particular? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 08:45:43 AM EST
[I know nothing]

Scared to get it checked out by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 05:34:12 AM EST
For the same reason I'm scared to look at my bank balance. Don't be too hard on her, some people are weak and that's that.

It doesn't sound good, but I hope it isn't too bad.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

so sorry to hear that. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 05:40:47 AM EST
re: the daughter. was she planning on informing her at the funeral, then?

I have no clue what she was planning on by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 07:10:37 AM EST
Part of me thinks she thought her daughter wouldn't care, or at least it's easier for her to convince herself that nobody cares about her if nobody knows about it. Part me thinks it's just further selfishness on her part, wanting to leave it to my FIL to tell everyone after she's gone, and let him face the wrath for not telling them sooner.

That fucking sucks by debacle (4.00 / 2) #22 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 11:17:57 AM EST
Don't know what else to say.

not bad luck magnets. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 01:58:23 PM EST
I met ya and aside from getting lost in south central PA, it was not a bad thing at all.

Blizzard of Death '06
that sucks by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 03:29:27 PM EST
my mom waited about 2 years living in pain before going to the doctor and checking out what the problem was....

It's just one of those things....

Give your love to your Dad and to his GF, that's the best thing for them at this point.

I Want A Refund!!! | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)