Print Story i am the passenger
well, not anymore, bitches.

at least, not by legal mandate.

also: other stuff.

so after two full years of being forbidden by the nanny state from operating a motor vehicle, i am once again licensed to drive.

who wants to lend me their car?

i am itching to start taking a more active role in the consumption of our non-renewable resources once again.

oh, and they took a new picture, meaning that this scruffy ten day beard will be immortalised on my license.

#

misslake seems to be getting much happier. which makes me much happier.

i was a little worried, because i have studied enough neurology to know that psychopharmacology is basically witchcraft at this point.

i mean, it rained last time we rubbed chicken entrails all over our body.

#

we played tennis this morning at it was awesome.

until misslake attempted to return a powerful flat serve with her lady bits, thus ending our match a little early.

#

i installed dapper drake on misslake's new computer yesterday. but when i ran automatix, nautilus mysteriously stopped working properly.

i want my money back.

#

the shawshack isn't the same with MissTrish gone. i look forward to her return.

#

as i may have mentioned before: myself, misslake, ND and Mx will be road-tripping out to edmonton and back come first week of september. we will be driving through canada on the way there, but will probably come back through the states, just for variety.

we already have plans to drop in on 606, but i'm not sure if there are any minnesota/milwaukee/chicago/detroit husians that we should plan on visiting and/or asking for a square of floor to nap on.

or are there any northern-ontario/prairie-province husians who have somehow escaped my attention?

is superdiva still around?

#

went away for a few days with e on her bike. we had various adventures around detroit, windsor and london (ontario).

one of the high points was exploring the abandoned Fischer Body plant on Piquette.

i'm really going to miss that girl when she moves to europe.

#

hmm... anything else?

not that i can think of at the moment.

rock on.

< 3 Photos (Puppy included!) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
i am the passenger | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That Fisher Body plant by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 06:59:08 AM EST
is the kind of place I could squat in for a year and never need to leave to find drawing subject matter.

i should get the rest of the pictures from e by 256 (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:04:33 AM EST
the place was huge. bigger than a hockey rink in footprint, and eight stories high.

and completely full of all kinds of crazy decay.

really ugly graffiti though. in fact, the graffiti all over detroit was pretty bad.

e theorised that perhaps lovingly crafted murals were the prerogative only of vandals in more affluent cities like toronto.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

That's probably true by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:13:14 AM EST
Though I think in the early days (late 70s, early 80s) it was different. But by the mid 80s there were art shows in trendy galleries, National Geographic articles and coffee table books on graffiti as well as big crackdowns on 'unauthorized' graffiti in cities like New York.

Even here, Parkdale graffiti tends to be mostly tagging, while in the Annex you see a lot of elaborate stuff that's most likely done with the property owners' consent.

even regarding tags by 256 (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:37:27 AM EST
compare the stuff in the rooftop photo above (which was among the best we saw) with what you can find just off queen street.

i'm not sure that consent of the property owner necessarily has much to do with it. i've seen some pretty beautiful work on train cars in ontario, and i know that that is not permitted.

it seems more likely that the difference is who is doing it: people living in the ghetto who legitimately see it as a part of their battle for space and sense of worth, or art school kids who are attracted to it for the way it interacts with public space and the law.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 04:49:24 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 04:57:25 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 04:57:43 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

hrm ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:09:15 AM EST

Madison ... on the way from Minneapolis to Milwaukee (usually). I'll likely be back there by that point, and if you need a square of floor for napping that can likely be provided, were you to come to town. Purdy lakes and lots of booze in that city.

wonderful by 256 (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:25:47 AM EST
i will remind you of this offer in a few weeks time and, if it still stands, the chances of four canadian punkers showing up at your doorstep is very high.
well ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:29:12 AM EST

... I survived days of theantix on my floor, and a weekend with ni, so canuckistanis do not scare me *too much* ... but punkers? that's a different matter.

Madison by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 01:55:48 PM EST
Is indeed an awesome town.  A large bike culture and rural nothingness less than 5 miles out.  I contemplated moving there after the Ironman race I did there, but the winters convinced me otherwise.

If you're in Madison the weekend after Labor Day, you can see 2000+ trigeeks during Ironman Wisconsin.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
curiously enough ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 02:00:14 PM EST

... I think I observed part of the Ironman in which you participated a couple years back. The way things were roped off at points, it was difficult to navigate the Capitol Square.

Reminds me that when I get back to town, I need to get a tire fixed on my bike, perhaps get a new (less-rock-hard) seat, and get a helmet.

They pretty much close the heart of the city by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 02:22:02 PM EST
for the marathon course.  I couldn't imagine doing that in a state capitol like Madison, but they do it every year.

I'm debating if I want to redeem my 2004 race next year or in 2008.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Ooh, a license! by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:10:39 AM EST
I recommend a road trip to Boston. I hear there's floor space around there.

Also, that's not a 10 day beard growth. That's, like, 2, maybe, plus sideburns.

Vive le Montréal libre.

that photo was from day 6 by 256 (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:11:46 AM EST
i don't grow much of a beard, really.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
(Comment Deleted) by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 04:45:38 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by vorheesleatherface

Will you make as far as Banff/Lake Louise? by Greener (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:27:53 AM EST
I'd love to meet you guys there for a hike and Calgary's a bit of a stretch for a weekend away.

Also, you probably don't want my car.

hmm... by 256 (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:04:02 AM EST
i was planning on calgary being the western limit of our trip, but you never know....
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
You can't drive all the way across the praries by Greener (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:41:19 AM EST
and not see the rockies.

I don't know what your schedule is like but keep me informed.

A day trip to the rockies from Calgary for you is a 6 hour one way drive for me.

I could quite easily take off friday after work and meet you somewhere there Saturday morning for a hike and drive back Sunday.

This'll only work for me if it's a Saturday as I've already used up my vacation days and odds are probably against you being in the area on the right days but we shall indeed see.

your logic is good by 256 (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:47:19 AM EST
except that the temptation is very strong to just follow that slippery slope and say "might as well drive to the coast".

which we don't have time to do.

banff is however a solid possibility.

unfortunately, there is no way that we will be there on a saturday.

we are heading west for a wedding which is in edmonton on Sunday Sept 3.

and misslake and i are working right up until Thursday Aug 31, so we're not going to be arriving in edmonton any earlier than Saturday night/Sunday morning.

and we have to be back by 7am Monday Sept 7 at the latest, so we won't be able to dally in alberta until the next weekend either.

if however, anything changes and you might be able to get away for a day in the middle of the week, let us know.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

That's a hell of a timeline. Good luck. by Greener (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:06:58 AM EST
When I drove back from HusiStock I left the schoolhouse at 2pm on Wednesday and got home at 8pm on Saturday stopping to camp when the sun went down and on the road at 10 every morning. I ended up camping at Pancake bay, Kenora and Swift Current if that helps give you an idea of the times and distances involved. Winnipeg was the half way mark for me. With a a few people sharing driving it can probably be reduced to a couple days.

Ontario had the slowest speed limit (90) and the most cops whereas I barrelled through Saskachewan at 140 the entire way. And you gain an hour each day going west and lose an hour each day driving east.

You might know this all already though. I can't remember if you've ever made the trip before but I think you once mentioned that you had.

i've made the toronto-winnipeg trip before by 256 (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:25:25 AM EST
or rather, the toronto-kenora trip which is pretty much the same thing.

the prairies will be a new adventure for me.

i know that the trip there is going to be a hellride and a half, but i derive a certain amount of enjoyment from that sort of thing.

we have a place to crash in winnipeg for a night on the way to edmonton have alloted ourselves 30 hours for the toronto-winnipeg leg. we have three drivers, so i'm pretty sure that's feasible. but it won't be pretty.

if we can manage that first leg, then the rest of our itinerary is easy-peasy.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

if you're driving all the way to Calgary by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:41:26 AM EST
you'd be crazy not to keep going to Banff/Lake Louise.

Trust my valuable advice, I'm a complete stranger you met on the internet.

i've seen the rockies by 256 (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:48:56 AM EST
ND has seen the rockies.

Mx has seen the rockies.

i don't know if misslake has seen the rockies.

and, come to think of it, the rockies are the sort of thing you can stand to see more than once.

maybe you're right.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

If you're going to suffer that godforsaken crawl by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:09:02 AM EST
thru northern Ontario and the hideous boredom of the prairies, I think you deserve a little mountain air.

Superdiva by R Mutt (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:43:50 AM EST
Here.

Hooray for SSRIs by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:47:06 AM EST
My life would be vastly different without them, Efexor specifically.

Possible Lodging by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 08:53:19 AM EST
I live in Green Bay, but I am not sure that's really on your route.  Its six hours across Wisconsin from Minneapolis.  If you are going from Minn/St Paul to the People's Republic of Madison, there would be probably at least a two hour detour to get to Green Bay.

If you are interested I can ask the wife, I'm pretty sure she would be alright with it, however.

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

we haven't nailed down a route yet by 256 (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:37:30 AM EST
if we can make a route through green bay without adding to our total distance too much, we'll definitely stop in at least for a visit.

it seems that we suddenly find ourselves awash in more offers of lodging than we could possibly make use of.

thanks husi.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 12:22:01 PM EST
Well, let me know when you get your route nailed down.

Gedvondur

I would love to have you guys... by superdiva (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:02:05 AM EST
I've moved to a bigger place so shoot me a email with dates.

_________________________________________________

For we are many....
i tried to find your phone number by 256 (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:27:56 AM EST
when i was in detroit over the weekend.

alas, my email archives don't seem to go that far back.

i will definitely let you know when we will be passing through detroit on this trip, once i have the timeline nailed down a bit better myself.

fri sept 8 or sat sept 9 seem most likely.

chi-town by gzt (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:16:24 AM EST
i've gotta warn you, the place i live in is sort of ghetto - esp. the bathroom walls and floors - but i might be able to rustle something up if the roommates are cool with it. got three couches in the living room and am a block away from the liquor store.

the last time i overnighted in chicago by 256 (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:41:06 AM EST
i slept on the linoleum floor of a 100 square foot apartment in mexicantown.

your offer is much appreciated and we may well take you up on it.

though we certainly won't need to spend a night both in madison and chicago, so it will depend on what makes more sense with our timelines.

either way, we'll definitely be stopping in the chi, so maybe we'll see you regardless.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

if you're in before sept 5th... by gzt (4.00 / 2) #27 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 10:57:29 AM EST
...i also have a second empty apartment room with a queen-size bed [and hole-less bathrooms], but it's a couple blocks away. downside: two blocks further from liquor store.

we're 45 mins from milwaukee by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 12:27:02 PM EST
we have floor, and would love to see you. if we have to travel to madison or Greenbay (though ged could come here, too) we definately would.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Oh, by the way by 606 (4.00 / 1) #37 Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 01:54:38 PM EST
I have a car now, so getting to Edmonton is now a possibility. I have no idea what's fun to do in Edmonton, but there it is.

Do I want to know why her majesty suspended your license?

-----
imagine dancing banana here

i'm not going to say by 256 (4.00 / 1) #38 Thu Aug 10, 2006 at 08:28:44 PM EST
until i find out what kind of car you have and how likely you are to let me drive it.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
plenty of offers in the midwest. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #39 Sun Aug 13, 2006 at 06:47:18 PM EST
I got space potentially if you want a bed in chicago suburbs by o'hare, but my weekends don't look good after the 8th. I'm certainly up for dinner or drinks if/when you're in town.

hey thanks by 256 (2.00 / 0) #40 Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 03:38:51 AM EST
somehow, i had always thought you were part of the uk contingent
i am the passenger | 40 comments (40 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback