Print Story Going to San Francisco
Travel
By theboz (Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:06:27 AM EST) travel, San Francisco (all tags)
It looks like I'll be attending a business conference the last week of this month (and the first day of the next) in San Francisco. I've never been there before, so any suggestions on what to see, where to go, what to eat, etc. would be appreciated. If anyone here is in S.F. and might be available to meet up, let me know.

Obviously, I'll be busy during work hours, but the wife and I will be free most week nights I think.

Also, in reference to that place that everyone I've talked to so far wants to take me, I don't care that they have "good asian food", I know they're transvestites, and I don't want to go there. I will not be fooled, despite how womanly a couple of them looked. I saw the photographs, and I'm on to your silly game.

< Catch up | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Going to San Francisco | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Let's meet! by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:13:44 AM EST
There's a cool caberet near my office.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Aren't you in Sacramento? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:25:46 AM EST
The wife will be going there for a day actually. I won't be able to, but she has a friend who works at the Mexican Consulate in Sacramento.
- - - - -
a warning in advance by theantix (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 12:31:26 PM EST
If he starts telling you about a "great business opportunity", he's just trying to sell you amway.  Frigging ucblockhead.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
Come on, now by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 12:51:08 PM EST
If you'd just put some work into it, you'd have made your money back easily!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That reminds me by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 01:36:04 PM EST
I was wondering if you could help. I have a relative who is a crown prince, and is trying to get a bit of money into the country. He's willing to give a 20% cut for helping...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
cool! by theantix (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 01:45:27 PM EST
But I need you to get a tattoo first...
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
Are you insane!? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 12:50:23 PM EST
If I were in Sacramento, I'd have moved away from Sacramento!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
weird by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 01:40:05 PM EST
Sacramento was one of my first stops as a field engineer.  I rather liked it (all two weeks I was there).

The thing I remember most about Sacramento wasn't anything that I saw there, but seeing a map of the various fault lines in California.  The catch was that they mapped nearly exactly to major Californian highways, with the exception that none were near Sacramento.

Wumpus

in the summer by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 02:32:21 PM EST
In the winter, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 04:37:04 PM EST

It's just regular-old-miserable in Sacramento.

Let me guess by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 04:52:33 PM EST
You were there in the spring or fall.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I'll send you more information by theboz (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 05:22:33 PM EST
I still haven't booked flights or anything yet but I'll let you know once that's taken care of.
- - - - -
Be sure to wear a flower in your hair by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:28:18 AM EST
a nice tee shirt from ginormous oil company, and a bandanna in your back pocket.

When do I *NOT* have a flower in my hair? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:41:06 AM EST
It goes without saying. :-)
- - - - -
The best dinner I've ever had: by lb008d (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 11:41:59 AM EST
Fleur De Lys.

Other really great places I've eaten at there:
Ame
Ton Kiang
Chez Panisse

i can *probably* meet by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 02:33:26 PM EST
but details will be sketchy for a bit as i have jury duty that week so i'm not sure when i'll be free.

on the bright side, jury duty is in south san francisco, which makes it easier to get up there. :)

as for transvestites --- fuck, who cares if the waitresses/cooks are transvestites? it's the food which matters.

perhaps by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 03:40:41 PM EST
theboz isn't comfortable around transvestites, and would prefer to not be uncomfortable? What's wrong with that?

this is san francisco, after all. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 03:45:26 PM EST
I'm anti-deception by theboz (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 05:10:45 PM EST
The people who wanted me to go to the transvestite place would do so under the guise that I'm too stupid to know until it's too late and I would be the butt of a joke after they order a lap dance for me or something.
- - - - -
If it helps by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #23 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 07:12:20 PM EST
I've no clue where those places are and aphrael is too nice to do that.

On the other hand, look suspiciously on any mns recommendations.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Stop judging me! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #26 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 09:20:25 PM EST

I told you guys they were Vietnamese ladyboys before we even went, I swear!

Yes, yes, I know by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Aug 08, 2006 at 05:56:36 AM EST
But you never ONCE said anything about 400 lbs.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
oh. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 08:44:29 PM EST
By the way by theboz (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 05:23:30 PM EST
I'll post here to let you know more details as I get them. I still haven't booked flights yet or anything.
- - - - -
Is there a Labor Day weekend show involved? by leviramsey (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 03:52:03 PM EST
(n/t)
Could I be the next Lee Abrams?
Make sure you try the Rice-a-Roni. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 06:48:59 PM EST

I hear by garlic (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Aug 07, 2006 at 09:01:51 PM EST
that it's a san francisco treat.

You heard right. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Aug 08, 2006 at 03:19:54 AM EST

You bet your ass I will! (N/T) by theboz (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Aug 08, 2006 at 04:26:45 AM EST

- - - - -
Hahaha.... by SvnLyrBrto (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 09:26:55 PM EST
The funny thing is, the food at AsiaSF really is NOT that good.  And it's WAYYYY overpriced for what you do get.  Not that it's actually bad, per se, but you can do SO much better foodwise here.

Not that I regret going.  It's a fun thing to do once for the novelty value.  And some of the girlboys are pretty hot.  But novelty value is pretty much all it is; and I've no particular desire to go back.

What kind of food do you like?  I can probably toss out some suggestions, for almost any genre you can think of.

But one big DON'T.  Unless you're just desperate to see Alcatraz, don't waste your time at Fishermans' Wharf.  And if you DO want to do the Alcatraz thing, don't spend any more time at the wharf than necessary for that purpose.  And DO book your tickets for the tour in advance.

Coit Tower is worth it for the view.  If it's not fogged over, so is the bridge.  So is the Cliff House but don't eat there.  If you go out towards the Cliff House, make sure to hike down and see the ruins of Sutro Baths and the old WWII gun batteries.  If you have a car, Twin Peaks is worth the trip, but don't try to get there on MUNI.  The Metreon sucks ever since Sony sold it to Westlake, and the "Walk of Game" is lame; the only reason to go there is for the movie theatre, but you're not in The City to waste the trip sitting in a metroplex, are you?

San Francisco weather is enough to make meteorologists weep.  It can be 85-degrees and sunny one day and 65 and cloudy another.  It can also be 85 in one neighborhood and 65 in the next, just a ten-minute drive/train-ride away.  Use the layer system!

cya,
john

Imagine all the people...

Going to San Francisco | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback