Print Story Tied for Third.
Puzzles & Riddles
By blixco (Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:52:01 PM EST) wfc wankery (all tags)
Always a bridesmaid's handperson, never a bridesmaid.

WFC is like, you put yourself out there for whatever sort of acceptance or mockery. Like life, like any endeavor.

I was in a meeting yesterday and told the owner of the company in a not so friendly tone: "there's a reason we don't use steam engines anymore.  Things evolve.  Hackers are good.  Patches are required. It sucks, but that's life, amigo."

I may have to pursue a second profession, that was how harsh my words sounded.  Good thing he's totally not a dick; if anything, I may have gained points by talking straight.  This is good, because it is becoming apparent to me that I will never eat bread purchased with my words.

Now, the story about my story (September Dreams, the one with blixco written all over it): I wanted the subject to be something I'd never write about, something that it is hard to write about.  The bigger, the better; at first I was gonna' take on Jesus Christ. Something iconic, and so well known that the world has their story about it already.

Then I wanted to present it in a new way.

When I think of the terrorist attacks at the WTC, I see a clear image of a man captured, lounge-like, as he falls to his death from a burning highrise. He looks so out of place, stark human frailty against rigid steel and glass. I see that image, and I hear the noise.

And lately cities, especially New York, have been fascinating to me.  The way people cell themselves off from their close-up world.

So, combine all of the above, and hey hey hey, you have it.  No Jesus Talk Show for y'all, thank God.  Thirty minutes first draft, another twenty to cut all the words that I didn't need out.

I have two problems with it: formatting sucks, and I'm annoyed by how often I mentioned it being a dream.  I mean, a) it's not and b) it's clear enough, thanks.

Right then!  Go write something!  More fiction from the lot of you!

< Late to the party | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Tied for Third. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I want to do a WFC by debacle (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 01:11:46 PM EST
But I don't want to lose.

And from what I've seen, people do lose.

cam even quips 'at least I'm not the loser.'

I think by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 03:31:29 PM EST
that I have more respect for the people who make the bottom three.  Everything in this competition was good, really good...but yeah, you put yourself out there.

Has the winner admitted it yet?  It could be you, I have no idea.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I'm pretty sure I know who it is by debacle (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 03:39:23 PM EST
But I'm waiting for the big reveal.

w00t! by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 04:39:18 AM EST
I made the bottom three twice in one WFC (at least one of them well deserved). I am unstoppable!

Your story ... there's a lot in there to pick apart (in both a good and bad way ... I like to stick my hands into texts and poke around). The subject is damn hard to write about, for sure (I was on a listserv where someone was complaining that there's no good 9/11 fic yet. Well why the fuck do you think that is? I wanted to reply.)

There's you in it, but it's not blindingly obvious. I figured it was yours mostly by process of elimination.

Do not misuse.

bah........ by TPD (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:13:30 PM EST
I lost the first one and am still proud of havaing managed to get a story together for it at all...

I really wanted to enter and (with all likelyhood) loose this one too, but I held off writing the story and then when the deadline was approaching found I didn't have the time. But every *FC I've ever entered has been more to do with my enjoyment than the voters ;).

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Indeed, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 03:18:36 AM EST
and I don't think I should have come in third...my story was rushed and half-cocked.  I've been tied for third a lot lately, though, both here and elsewhere.  So I thought that was both funny and fitting.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
dream, etc by 256 (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 01:27:19 PM EST
you say it had blixco all over it, but i had no idea.

i have to confess that i stopped reading once i realized that it was sept 11 fiction. i'll probably give it another shot now that i know it's yours

the bit with repeatedly mentioning that it was a dream wasn't a flaw in my opinion. it was a nice little turning-on-the-head of the "unbelievable thing happens, but wait, it was just a dream" convention.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Huh. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 03:30:18 PM EST
Yeah, I figured people might not make it through...much like the Jesus idea that I had. A saturated story, my real challenge was to try and make it somehow interesting to jaded readers.

I don't know how well I succeeded.  But it was an interesting exercise, and a return to the stream of consciousness highspeed stuff that I do.  And without any, or much, dialog.  All internal monologging.

I also forgot to mention that I lost the tense many times, and re-wrote this for tense only once.  I need to watch that.

Anyhow.  Re-read it, lemme know what you think.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

I only voted for 3 by calla (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 04:03:46 PM EST
and one of those votes was for your story.

I didn't think it was yours, but I really liked it.

I'm going to have to read it again for clues I missed.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

Tied for Third. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback