Print Story wfc3 post mortem
By Merekat (Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:31:14 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm very pleasantly surprised with the feedback:)

The story owes itself to a Lithuanian thunderstorm and a broken down train a few weeks earlier but apart from that, I'm almost embarrassed at how little there is to this. The train provided the thinking space to imagine a character outwardly OCD but who carries real responsibility with the compulsions. The rain provided the hour to stick it together.

People appeared to like the low key detail. I'm pleased as that is what I was aiming for. I've worked the dishwasher job (to this day I hate lasagne dishes). I'm prone to looking and enforcing random patterns on things, but as an entertaining diversion rather than compulsion.

I don't do dialog that well, so having a character who didn't speak much suited me.

Someone couldn't understand why Jules is attracted to Danny. She's new to the restaurant and doesn't necessarily have preconceptions learned of how the others treat Danny. She is also a good person. They exist. And Danny is cute-but-shy which can be attractive. This was one of those 70/30 things. Only a small proportion of how I saw the characters made it in.

I've never seen Groundhog Day, not read Curious Incident but it does reinforce my opinion that innovative thought is not my strong point.

The ending. I like that it didn't sit comfortably with some people. It was quite tricky to write. I had two possibilities in mind. One is that Danny is crazy/dreaming and the world is in his head. I didn't like to write this one down as it is too close to 'and it was all a dream', which I am allergic to due to overindulgence as a teenager. The other is that Danny really does make the world. This was appealling as I'm a bit Michael Marshall Smith fan and one of his trademarks is putting the ordinary side-by-side with the unheimlich (for want of a better word). I wasn't happy with anything I wrote that made that explicit though. I would love to say it was a conscious decision to invoke Barthes' concept of death of the author and deliberately leave the space for the reader to 'write' the story. What actually happened was the rain cleared and we went to the pub for beer and fried bread snack.

< Last Site That Needs This Information | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
wfc3 post mortem | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I though this was great. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:39:46 AM EST
I know I said this in the main wfc post, but you did a great job. This was one of my favorite WFC submissions yet.

I loved it by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:17:12 PM EST
It closely tied with CRwM's Resurrection men as my favourite.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
It was a damn fine by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:32:36 PM EST
read.  I hope to see more of your fiction.  It got one of my 3 votes.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
cool by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:07:27 PM EST
It is the third piece of fiction I've written since college, which is nearly 10 years ago now. I hope maybe I'm starting to get the knack of it again.

flippant comment by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 03:56:25 AM EST
Sorry, I think you got one of my more oblique "critiques" of the entries this time around. Curious Incident as you probably know is autism, not OCD (though there is a similar focus on numbers/patterns and what they augur). One of the themes in Groundhog Day is that the Bill Murray character is trying to get together with Andie MacDowell and in each successive iteration, he tries a different strategy toward this end (although he doesn't know if achieving that will break him out of the cycle of repeating days, IIRC). Anyway, I enjoyed both the book and the movie, and the combination of them in your story is as innovative as anything I've seen recently -- they are very different works/concepts to pull together. Just a whiff too much of "it was all a dream" for my taste, though it's nicely ambiguous. I think each of your WFC entries has been stronger than the last.

I do love the last sentence of your post-mortem though. Every story-behind-the-story should end like that.

Do not misuse.

Don't apologise by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 12:27:05 PM EST
there's nowt to apologise for.
You've added another interesting book and film to stuff I should see/do.

I stand by the unoriginality comment though. It isn't a bad thing overall to share ideas with pre-existing people who've been appreciated.

wfc3 post mortem | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback