Print Story I can't take the sunshine anymore...
By MM (Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:48:43 AM EST) (all tags)
All facets of life are supposed to be difficult, damn it.

• One of my good college friends is getting married in Hawaii in September of 07. huh. I'll probably go, but it's not 100%. It'll be an expensive trip.
  • That reminded me that if I'm going to go to Thailand next year I better get working on that right now. Quick check on orbitz says I can fly there for $800 next March which is cheaper than I expected. I suppose that's the rainy season.
  • I watched all of Season one of HBO's Rome series. It's sad that a large part of the reason HBO makes the best programs right now is because everyone else's executives won't take risks. Of course not taking risks just brings more risk by creating absolute shit.
  • I've been working on this book again and am now about half done. Among other things I'm getting a better picture of the reservations Europeans and their governments have about the modern (post WW2, maybe post WW1) United States. As with anything the reasons are many.
  • It appears I may have high blood pressure (measured 145/90). Doc thought I may have been nervous but I don't think so. Some bloodwork is being done now, I have this suspicion that my cholesterol levels are going to be too high. Bleh. Bleh. Bleh. I'm not even 30.
< Poetic License | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I can't take the sunshine anymore... | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Rainy season is typically June-August. by Ignore Amos (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:06:38 AM EST
Eat less salt.

salt by MM (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:10:08 AM EST
I use almost no table salt when eating. Of course when I eat soup from a can or mac-n-cheese, there is a good week supply per serving.

You're doomed. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:35:46 AM EST

Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.
It's by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:00:49 AM EST
DOOMED DOOMED DOOMED.

Though I suppose resurrecting a dead meme is only a fool's folly.

yes, my mind reminds me daily. by MM (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:34:58 AM EST

HBO by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:07:17 AM EST
My hypothesis is that HBO is funded by subscriptions. Consequently, they have a higher need to convince viewers that their programming is desireable.

Cicero, The Republic
They can also show boobs, arses and say fuck by cam (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:43:43 AM EST
Which means drudgery like the western one and the NJ gangstas get to hang around longer. Plus that stupid show about those kids.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I don't know that this improves quality by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:56:08 AM EST
But anyway, unless I'm mistaken, it's virtue of not being broadcast unencrypted over the air that gives them rights to use the F bomb rather than being subscription based. Which means that those things alone probably don't matter as the rest of cable also has that capability.

Cicero, The Republic
It gives them appeal as being edgy by cam (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:58:01 AM EST
IMO. I suspect if the free to air stations had the same freedom then a lot more of their dramas would seem edgy too.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'm not so sure by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 01:16:05 PM EST
If everyone was doing it, it wouldn't be edgy. Like saying ``damnit'' on network television. Once upon a time, it got a lot of gasps. Now no one even blinks.

Cicero, The Republic
We have the movie channels from 300 - 347 by cam (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 05:15:24 PM EST
They don't put the N on those shows as a warning, it is so channel jumpers will pause.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

HBO is over the censors by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 02:52:38 PM EST
They don't have to try and fit 'fuck' into everything they write.

The network shows are still working on getting over the fences.

FCC by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 05:01:33 AM EST
I believe you are correct about being able to use the F-bomb.  Sattellite TV isn't regulated by the FCC in the same way.  Anything not broadcast over the public airwaves is open.

---------------
All airwaves are public by lm (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 05:18:33 AM EST
Satelite TV, though, is an encrypted broadcast only available to private subscribers so it isn't considered a public medium the same way that terestrial stations are.

Cicero, The Republic
I think your partly right by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Sep 01, 2006 at 05:05:27 AM EST
HBO is funded by subscriptions so they don't have to worry about ratings.  So they're able to take more risks.  Chances are you won't cancel HBO because you don't want to watch Rome.  Whereas commercial programming needs to have high ratings to keep the commercial dollars.  So they have to target the widest audience.  Basically they're shooting for the lowest common denominator.

---------------
high blood pressure at 30? by webwench (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:07:28 AM EST
My friend, who just turned 31, has high cholesterol, despite being very active and skinny. Doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to who gets high cholesterol, it can be genetic.

My blood pressure is sometimes low enough to cause me problems... it sucks getting old.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

you get orthostatic hypostension? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:24:26 AM EST
I had that yesterday, I got the aura, everything started getting fuzzy and a little dim, so I drank some water and sat down, far better than fainting.

I haven't heard of that by webwench (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:31:46 AM EST
For about a month, I get lightheaded after eating or standing up, and at random times get kind of floaty and lightheaded, and everything is sort of dim and very contrasty at the same time. And when I lay down my head and ears pound like crazy... weird stuff. For several days at the start of all that, I would get hot flashes and nausea after eating or exercising, but that's gone away. My blood pressure sits at 90-something over 60-something, which until recently hasn't bothered me. I assume it's just normal aging or something.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

who knows. by MM (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:40:50 AM EST
maybe it is just stress. I'll have to see what the bloodwork says. Everyone in my family dies of cancer, so heaping on potential cardiac issues down the road spells DOOM.

well, I'd rather go from a heart attack by webwench (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:57:25 AM EST
than from cancer, personally, but I think we all hope you remain free of either condition :(

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

High blood pressure. by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:34:51 PM EST
My advice is to try to stay calm, and especially to avoid arguments on the internet.

Oh, and that book is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard! Only an idiot would agree! What's wrong with you!?

You enjoyed Rome, I take it? Funny thing is that now that they have a reputation for risk-taking, they can take even more.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

it's a good drama by MM (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:39:59 PM EST
and while I wouldn't claim their goal was to represent Rome as it was, it was nice to not be subjected to a show that is heavily filtered through christian ethics, modern female views of romance, or special effects driven epic violence.

Rome by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 01:12:21 PM EST
One of it's best points is that all the characters have distinctly Roman attitudes towards almost everything, particularly for things like slavery and the sanctity of life, where our attitudes are distinctly different from theirs.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Boy, have I got an idea for you... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #19 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 02:42:25 PM EST

Buy a one-way ticket to Thailand, then, once you're there, claim that you accidentally killed JonBenet Ramsey. The government will then happily fly you back to the US, where you clear a DNA test, and presto, you're back home again, having received 50% off your Thailand flight!

Thailand by Greener (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 04:30:11 PM EST
I went to Thailand at the end of march and my guide book said that if it's the rainy season on one coast it'll be dry on the other.

I don't know if that's true or not but I spent a month going down the west coast to Kuala Lumpur and a month going back up the east coast to Bangkok and thy only rain I saw was when I first got to Bangkok in March. It came in short 5 minute bursts every hour each afternoon so consistently you could set your watch to it. It was a nice relief from the heat of the city and everywhere else I went it didn't rain at all.