Print Story There's food downstairs in the basement.. but you have to pay for it
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 07:11:42 AM EST) All this and much much more!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Conlige suspectos semper habitos...

I'm sitting here picking at my finger. More specifically one of the calluses on my finger is cracked and despite the fact that you're not supposed to pick at them, you're supposed to file them or some such nonsense like that, I can't resist picking at them until they peel off. Luckily it doesn't take much time for a new one to grow, I'm manly that way ya know.

Bob Abooey Fun Fact: My Grandmother had a cousin (or something like that) who was actually a national recording star back in the 30's and 40's. He was a World Renowned big Band Leader according to the review of his greatest hits disc on Amazon. I guess he was a real stud muffin kinda guy, along with being a great singer and whatnot.

It's pretty wacky, there's a bunch of web pages about him and it turns out there's a fan club for him and whatnot. I should email them, being a relative of his I'll bet they would love to interview me. Anyways, it's a shame I didn't catch any of those genes cause I can't sing for shit

My knee's been bothering me, off and on, so I thought I would give the faux-bike a break for a little while and use the elliptical machine instead. Well, sweet mother of God, that's a right beast. I'll have to find the right setting for it as the one I used this morning was way too easy and as such I was going way too fast and felt like I was going to have a stroke after about 10 minutes.

Tomorrow I'll try it with about 3 or 4 times the resistance and see how that works. That said, I'm not so sure I like it cause you have to stand up the whole time, the bike is nice cause you're sitting down. Sure sure, that's the girlie-man way to do cardio work, but screw it, I'm not to proud to take the easy way out sometimes.

Bob Abooey Fun Fact - My grandfather (on my dad's side) went to this little podunk high school in the middle of Hicksville Ohia. Despite that fact that they barely had enough guys to field a team his high school baseball team won the state championship, destroying every big school that got in their path, with him as the pitcher. And I mean the pitcher as he pitched every game for them.

This got them lots of recognition in the papers and he had a scout from the Cincinnati Rids following them around. He actually got signed with the Reds but blew his arm out and never got to pitch in any games. Sadly none of his baseball genes trickled down to me as I could never play baseball for shit.

It looks like we've got a bank holiday on Monday so it's a Three Day Weekend for every one in USistan!!! Woooo!! I plan on spending some time getting ready for my fantasy football draft, and generally screwing off. So anyways, I'm off to SubWaytm for a giant chicken -n- veggies sub to cram down my soy-hole. Oh yeah, speaking of soy, I got some of the Bocca faux soy sausage links and I'll be darned if they aren't pretty good. They kinda taste like sausage! Imagine that.

< In her white lace | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
There's food downstairs in the basement.. but you have to pay for it | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh man, I've got you now! by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 07:26:19 AM EST
With the Grand History of High School Baseball Championships (Volume Oh-Nor) at hand, I am going to have your real name in mere moments.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
FYI by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 07:27:26 AM EST
High school state baseball championship records are always kept in reverse alphabetical order. Strange but true.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
I can save you the trouble by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 07:30:56 AM EST
It's Wagner. I've never made any mystery about that.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Wagner Abooey? by debacle (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:55:04 AM EST
I guess you must've kicked a lot in the womb, huh?

Bank holiday? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 07:33:38 AM EST
I was going to make a remark about how you were wrong about that, then I realized - we all work for the banks, so Labor Day really is a "bank holiday"...

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
Good Catch! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:16:49 AM EST
I'd hate to see you embarrass yourself in a vainglorious attempt to "correct" me!

See, the truth is I called it a bank holiday as this is an International website and our brethren across the pond have a hard time understanding this whole "labour day" concept. But you bring up a "bank holiday" and boom, they all nod their heads in recognition.

If only more people would go out of their way to be nice the whole Internets would be a much better place.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

That's even weirder, you know. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:56:47 AM EST
Since the root of "holiday" is "holy day", the idea of celebrating a day that's holy for banks is just, you know, so Republican.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
holiday plans by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:24:01 AM EST
so you gonna set up a draft board etc for your fantasy ? Because, you know bob, my fantasies don't involve any sports, a sweaty man, yes, water, no, other men, no.

And take a pocket knife to the callous. That's how I idle away at boring meetings.

Elliptical, make sure you stand upright. Folks that bend/crane over, or worse, lean on the machine, are going to injure their back and are getting much less of a workout. Your hands should swing freely, or if there are pump bars on the machine, use them (but those irritate my elbows). Gotta rotate through the elevation/incline/angle of the machine, and keep your step rate up over 150 steps/minute, and go in reverse for half the  time.

Sweet mother of God by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:32:36 AM EST
I didn't know it was that complicated.

It has the pump bars and I was using those, although they didn't have much resistance to them. I need to figure out better settings. It has to have a "manly man-stud" setting on it somewhere.

I don't know if I was standing upright or not, I'll have to pay attention to that tomorrow.

What's this bit about going in reverse? I just want to elevate my heart-rate and keep it elevated for 20 minutes or so, I'm not training for a fight or anything.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

run "backwards" by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:56:49 AM EST
on the elliptical.. It works a different set of muscles.. Will give you some soreness if you hit it hard enough.

That can put strain on the calf muscles by debacle (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 11:34:27 AM EST
As you're kind of jerking them around a bit.

I think Bob might be too manly for stretching.

So Bob by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:43:29 AM EST
Who's your preference: LJ, LT, or Shaun?

Right now it's gotta be Shaun by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:53:02 AM EST
But I'm going to have to do some research on their O-lines to see if anyone made some serious upgrades or downgrades.

That's why I'm not real high on Edrin James, Arizona didn't finish last in rushing last year because they had a great o-line.

Truth is if I get a top three pick I'll be happy to have any of those three.

What do you think about Carson Palmer as a QB? I think it might be a good pick as the injury may scare some people away from him, so he may be around in the 2nd or 3d round.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

research by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:01:13 AM EST
LJ lost his left tackle, future hall of famer willie roaf. the backup "plan" appears to be using kyle turley there.

alexander lost probowl left guard steve hutchinson to minnesota for one of the highest contracts (if not the highest) ever paid a guard.

LT lost his QB and they're going with unproven phil rivers...who may be glad he has a run game to rely on.

carson palmer...aside from the legal troubles the bengals have, there's no reason to think he hasn't fully recovered. he looked awful good picking apart green bay in the one preseason game he played and didn't seem to react to people coming near his knee.

good to switch up your cardio every once in a while. don't use the machine to hold you up unless you like wasting time...i've seen people practically laying down on the damn thing.

Excellent by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:21:01 AM EST
Is Roaf out for the whole season?

What about Reggie Bush?

I think Shaun may still be the best bet for number one.

I've got Carson at #2 behind P Manning for QB's.

What do you think about TO? I'd like to draft him high but he's so volatile (both physical and emotional) that he scares me.

Any sleeper WR's I should be looking for?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

roaf retired by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:12:58 AM EST
bush...gamble imo. he's splitting with deuce, new head coach, crummy team. he'll get receiving yards and return yards so if your league counts that it helps but i'd much rather have a guy you can count on...heck even a guy like willis mcgahee..unless, that is, you get big points for return yards.

imo LT is number one and alexander is #2 but it could go either way, i just like LT probably. alexander is a freaking TD machine i'll say that much so if you don't get a lot of points for yards (20 yards / point) alexander is definitely the better bet.

TO...he's not going to put up the huge numbers he has before because the system is different and there are other weapons (witten and terry "miss america" glenn), but he could still be an 1100 yds 10+ td guy.

ps we call TO by his middle name down here, that's Eldorado (i'm not trolling).

Rumor has it by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:59:53 PM EST
...that Roaf's retirement is just a ploy to skip the  training camp/preseason, and the Chiefs will somehow be able to talk him into returning at the last minute, though it's getting pretty late in the year and this seems less likely every day. Turley has looked good though; apparently he's lost a lot of weight which has helped his back problems. He's not All Pro or anything but I think the Chiefs running game will be fine. Too bad their defense will play them into another 8-8 season.

I'm really liking Matt Jones as a WR out of Jacksonville, especially with Jimmy Smith gone now. Seems like he's flying low enough on the radar you could pick him up with a late pick.

As alprazolam has said... by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 12:55:53 PM EST
...All three backs have legitimate question marks due to O-lines/QB moves, but I'd have to rank Shaun #1 right now. I'm in two leagues this year and got #1 pick in both. In one league Alexander and Johnson were both protects so it was an easy choice (although in this league QB's get a point for every 10 yards passing so it was a tougher choice), but high scoring RB's still are more rare than high scoring QB's so I went with LT. In the other league I took Alexander over LJ and LT. Alexander seems like one of those backs who isn't afraid to head for the sidelines, so you gotta think he'll be durable. Plus the touchdowns.

After watching Palmer in the Monday night game I'm really regretting not picking him up; he was like the 5th or 6th QB taken in both of my leagues, but clearly that knee isn't going to be a problem. I think with the weapons he has at WR he's going to absolutely scorch the league this year.

Use the rowing machine by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 08:57:14 AM EST
Simple. Effective.

There's no tv, though.
Close friendships and a private room can offer most of the things love does.

Can't do it by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:12:53 AM EST
It bothers my golfers elbow for some reason.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Boca sausage patties are better by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 10:38:16 AM EST
Also, why would your grandfather have considered joining a team that was so clearly communist that they changed their name back to "Redlegs" from the '40s to the '60s to throw the Feds off the scent?

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Morningstar veggie corndogs are the best by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Sep 02, 2006 at 07:58:00 AM EST
nt