Print Story Now I am a guitarist I suppose
Music
By komet (Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 07:53:12 AM EST) guitar (all tags)
First of all, thank you, everyone, for your dubious and contradictory advice in my last diary. I did take all your points on board and came to the conclusion that I was really not able to choose an instrument from an informed point of view.

So I did what my non-technical girlie friends do when they choose a laptop: go on looks, and price.

And here is my geetar:

It was the cheapest one in the shop that didn't seem in some way utterly crap. I can use it as a rather quiet acoustic guitar to practice with, or plug it in and... well, I don't have an amp yet, so who knows.

I have a Steve Vai signature pick. My "playing" sounds nothing like Steve Vai, or, indeed, anything at all. DECEPTION!!

I can finger the following chords within about five seconds, sometimes, occasionally: A, Am, D, Dm, C, G, E, Em.

Now I have to "practice", or something. Don't expect to hear me in the next MFC, or the one after that, or the one after that.

< I fought the lawn and it was a draw | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Now I am a guitarist I suppose | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh yeah by komet (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 07:57:51 AM EST
anyone care to recommend some good, free online learning resources?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Online learning by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:00:14 AM EST
I see a lot of guitar stuff posted by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:09:23 AM EST
here

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
This one is great by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:47:06 AM EST
Guitar Noise. It's aimed towards freaks who play those girly acoustic guitars. Click on the beginners link and away you go!

They do a great job with walking you through playing songs, plus they do a good job explaining theory for guitar (scales and chord construction etc)

Of course The Sub Atomic Blues Project is a great site.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I can't make out the brand by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:06:15 AM EST
Alvarez? If so, I'm jealous.

chord charts and scales, what else you want?

Cicero, The Republic
No it's Ibanez by komet (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:10:31 AM EST
I think it's made in China or something. I'm not complaining.

What I really want... you know in those Chick Tracts, the Muslim gets a sheet of paper to read and suddenly becomes Christian within 30 seconds? I need some magic like that.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

I'm still jealous by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:14:11 AM EST
I've always been a big Ibanez fan. IMO, their low end range is the best value for the money. Well, at least it was fifteen years ago when I was looking around.

For Matrix style guitar instruction (``Whoa, I know the blues!'') go here. But, alas, it is a chimera.

Cicero, The Republic
Go to a rural crossroards at midnight by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:22:41 AM EST
with your axe, and loudly proclaim how you'll sell your Soul to be able to really play. It worked for Robert Johnson.

Ummmm by cam (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:23:23 AM EST
It has a hole in it. Looks fragile too. Kind of like an acoustic ..... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

We expect you to enter the next MFC no matter how crap you think your playing is. Besides I notice you have keyboards (and a voice) to supplement it with.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

And kazoo by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:27:10 AM EST
True, true. by komet (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:37:44 AM EST
Thing is, I bought the guitar because I had some spare money. Guess what? I still have spare money. Is there such a thing as "owning too many guitars", or are they like cats?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I used to be like that and had tonnes of guitars by cam (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 09:10:16 AM EST
but it is a dumb pastime guitar collection. I only have one guitar that I play all the time. I have a half busted acoustic which I play about once an MFC. I am down to pure function.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Hmmm.... by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:43:30 AM EST
I dub the "Cisco User!"

Why, exactly, do you have a VoIP system in your house?

Gedvondur
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

Ah yes heh by komet (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:55:06 AM EST
The phone connects to my office system so that I can "work" from home. I use it over ADSL without any QoS, but the quality is still OK.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 10:37:40 AM EST
Well, that's better than having a full call manager rig.  My buddy JC has a full call manager system in his home.

Gedvondur

I like your shrine. by moonvine (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 08:59:20 AM EST
Doing puja to the keyboards.

*NOTICE* by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 09:39:43 AM EST
It may be ad-riddled, but I've found e-chords to do the job on occaision, especially now that Olga's dying.

I also demand this diary be hijacked into a guitar-photo wankerathon:

fender + marshall == Spinal SHMRB by cam (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 11:15:31 AM EST
Only one? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 11:22:52 AM EST

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Clean-freak by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 3) #22 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 12:41:21 PM EST

yes, I know, piece-of-shit Squire...

Have you ot OCD? by Herring (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 01:20:43 PM EST
Where's your ashtrays and beer cans?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Good grief by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #25 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 01:57:34 PM EST
Words fail me.

Here, my guitar corner is a little more messy:

Bedroom amp:

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Bedroom amp by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #27 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 03:15:44 PM EST
That photo makes no sense by komet (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 11:26:48 PM EST
You can't sit anywhere, you can't play the keyboard because there's stuff in front of it, and there's a Mac Mini but no mouse, keyboard or monitor, the fan blows under the chair that you can't use anyway, there are some cassettes but no cassette deck, there are three shoes but they don't match, and you have a Bach book. WTF?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Not to mention by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #31 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 04:46:36 AM EST
What's up with all the analog cassette tapes? And the analog "wireline" phone??? It's like he's living in the 1970's or something.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

If I must by Herring (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 12:40:10 PM EST

Shit - really must decorate this room at some stage.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Nice guitar... by motty (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 12:27:41 PM EST
What's the keyboard? That looks rather lovely too.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
The keyboard by komet (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 11:33:55 PM EST
is a Doepfer LMK 4+ with full hammer action, which I bought in 1994 in kit form (with blank PCB and individual components). It's quite nice to have the circuit diagram available.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Incidentally by Herring (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 01:24:18 PM EST
you have all the chords there to play "Between the wars" by Billy Bragg": G Am C G D Em C D should give you a start.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Just because you're better than me ... by Ignore Amos (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 03:05:07 PM EST
... doesn't mean I'm lazy.

That is to say, he also has all the necessary chords to play Bragg's To Have and To Have Not.

I can do by Herring (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 04:00:54 PM EST
Walk Away Renee, but not consistently enough. A rough start to Between the Wars might be something like this.

BB's songs are ... well ... songs. They rely on nothing more that a simple accompaniment and a vocal line. I like him and I like his songs. Anyone who could come up with the lyric "how can you lie back and think of England when you don't even know who's on the team". Also, I have seen him live and he was entertaining.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

obligatory pic by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Aug 31, 2006 at 09:12:44 PM EST

I really should take a picture of my pedalboard sometime.

Now I am a guitarist I suppose | 32 comments (32 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback