Print Story I fought the lawn and it was a draw
By MartiniPhilosopher (Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 06:36:38 AM EST) (all tags)
Last crazy weekend was indeed crazy. Saturday started off with us attempting to clean some of the stains out of the living room carpet. Then we to get a mower as we've not actually touched the lawn with anything but the dog since we moved in. After that we went shopping. Followed that up with even more carpet cleaning. When the rain had relented for a few hours I got to do the mowing. Then there was more emptying of boxes and putting books upon shelves.

A few more notes on the actual cleaning part of the weekend, most specifically the stains in the carpet. We knew the origins of the red one. Our cats were responsible for it. However it was the stains that were left behind by the previous owners which had us puzzled. Yellow going into a burnt orange color. Only in one spot by one of the walls in the living room. The previous owners had a entertainment center over the top of it but we had noticed it and not thought anything.

The cleaner we borrowed from my parents uses a combination of heat and cleaner and water while it vacuums the whole mess back into itself. As I started in on the initial attack, I caught a whiff of a peculiar smell. "Na," I thought to myself, "nobody would just move furniture over that and not clean it up." Boy was I sorely surprised because not much later the wife gets in on the sniffing as well. Looking at me she asked if the dog had been in here. I shook my head and just pointed at the carpet. By this time the rug began to reek with the smell of urine as the cleaner was putting down hot water and detergent in a vain attempt to clean the stain out.

Now, for those of you without children or four legged pets a few additional things should be noted. In particular that different animals produce vastly different smelling pee. Humans in particular produce a very pungent smelling pee. Especially if said humans are slightly dehydrated. From say, drinking a bit too much beer or other alcoholic beverages. And it was this type of stench which was now emanating from the carpet area of the very slowly fading stain.

As the wife and I became more and more aware of what we were looking at, a rather incredulous thought came into our minds; What sort of person simply pees on their own carpet and never, ever, cleans it up?

The divorce which netted our house just became much more understandable.

------------------------------

The rest of the "first weekend of cleaning" of the new house went pretty well. Most of the boxes which were stacked in our living room have been disgorged of their contents and placed upon the various bookshelves we have. There are several more boxes that need to be re-inspected before we put them in the down stairs storage area. But that is not nearly as daunting a task anymore.

The lawn seems to have responded well to its first mowing in months. I think the nearly constant rain over the last few days helped that some. In the next few weeks, I'm going to have to either get a rake or something and start to pull up the grass that didn't make it through the two months that nobody was watering it. I have some sun-loving seed already and a bottle of turf-builder and weed killer to spread over it afterwords. Hopefully next year it'll look much less dead. Of course there is the dog to deal with in that respect, too. Oh well, he has to poop somewhere.

Speaking of the dog. Here are some recent pics:

He's just under 40 lbs. right now and gets to go back in weekend after next for another round of shots and a quick check up. So far, the vet seems to be happy with how much he's grown, so I think we're going to be pretty safe from bone pain for the moment. He's lost most of his puppy fat and has recently decided that he loves tennis balls. I'm thinking once we get our adult teeth in I might get him started on some frisbee tricks.

< Mostly | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I fought the lawn and it was a draw | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
pee is nothing, at least it wasn't by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 06:47:37 AM EST
shrimp.

Wow. by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 07:10:33 AM EST
No bitterness over that relationship.

But you are correct. I am very glad it was not shrimp.

That bites by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 07:13:56 AM EST
After we closed on the house we presently live in but before we moved in, one of the occupants of the upstairs apartment had diarhea all over the new carpet the previous owner had just installed six months beforehand. We tried several approaches but ended up just cutting the carpet in that bedroom up and throwing it out.

Surprises like that are the bad side of home-buying. I'd complain about it more if I hadn't left so many surprises of my own behind over the years.

On the lawn, put down the weed killer now. Hold off on the fertilizer and seed until later in the season. The best times to plant grass are late autumn or early spring. If you can time it just before two weeks worth of rain, that is the best. Otherwise, you'll need to water it every day until the root system establishes itself.

And be aware that just because the lawn looks dead in places doesn't mean that it is dead in those places. A bit of regular watering can revive some pretty dead looking grass.

Cicero, The Republic
I count it as an experience towards the next by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 09:15:08 AM EST
time we have to buy a house.

And it hasn't been the only surprise we had with this house so far. The downstairs was a shrine to Nascar racing and crappy beer with neon signs, clocks, and posters hung on all of the walls. With drywall screws. Most of which got unceremoniously ripped out when they were taken down prior to our closing. Imagine our chagrin on the day of the closing as we are taking our post-signing inspection of the house noticing that every wall in the basement has to be patched and sanded down before we can even think of repainting it.

Next time we can make sure that our contract says that the house must be in a condition of good repair before we close on it.

GAH!!! GAH!!! GAH!!! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 07:18:07 AM EST
A flame thrower from orbit, new sub-floor and recarpet! It's the only way to be sure.

It's a shag off-white carpet by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 09:16:48 AM EST
As soon as we can dig our way up out of some of the debt we just put ourselves into, trustyoume, it is gone.

So, 2026 we're talking? by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 09:29:49 AM EST
The first year of house owning you spend an awful, awful lot, for stuff  you never realized you needed.

It has not been that bad by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 30, 2006 at 10:28:27 AM EST
Yet. Which is something I'd like to emphasize. Yet. We've not hit winter or even fall for that matter, so who knows what we'll end up needing for that. We also have some pretty grand ideas about some of the changes we'd like to make to the house. For one, there is the floor to ceiling bookshelves we'd like to put in the living room upstairs. And this past week with the temperatures falling into the low eighties we've talked about adding a attic fan to try and cut back on the AC usage.

But yeah, having to get a furniture set, a washer and dryer set, gardening and lawn stuff, yeah. All those little niggling things that help making living in a house nice do start to build up on the pocket book somewhat.