Print Story On apartments and moving.
By aethucyn (Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:30:55 PM EST) apartments, Cambridge, turkeys (all tags)
I've recently begun a long distance relationship despite first hand knowledge of just how troublesome they can be. So, a few weeks back, bemoaning my situation over drinks, my friend asked, "You're not really thinking of moving, are you?" I was not. The truth is, it's much too early in the relationship for me to consider uprooting myself, but it got me thinking about what it would take to get me to move again.

I live in Cambridge, Massachusetts blocks away from the river, and close to two separate subway lines. As my lease ends at the end of the month, I soon need to figure out where to live next, though I have no intentions of leaving Cambridge/Somerville. As a walker, though, I am looking forward to having a different neighbourhood to pass through. I'm simply bored of the same houses and businesses along the way. As it is, I switch up routes constantly, but after 18 months, I've done all I can do.
But I do truly love Cambridge. It has a certain reputation which remarkably even people I've known who've lived her believe in. My friends in Jamaica Plain will sneer at how it lacks the cultural diversity of their area. It's all college students, others will complain.
I, however, love that it's just city enough. Everything is walkable if you have the time and energy, but a reasonably reliable public transportation system if not. And sometimes, things are just strange here.
A few weeks back, I'm on my way to the subway, and there's this path I follow to get to Kendall Square (up the path, cross the street, through the lobby of the Marriott and voila, you're at the T) and I see a pair of woman at the end of the path. They've slowed down, and now they're pointing. Curious, I try to figure out what they're pointing at, and there it is, a rather large, wild turkey that is hanging out, looking at itself in the reflective glass. Luckily, I have my digital camera on hand, so I start snapping pictures. Soon, I'm joined by somebody else, also taking pictures.
"What is it?" he asks.
"It's a turkey."
"Oh. What's it doing here?"
"I wouldn't know. Turkey stuff, I guess."
"Oh."

On another occasion, I was out for an evening walk. I'd stopped by and gotten ice cream at Christina's (I highly recommend Christina's Homemade ice cream far better than the over-rated Toscanini's) and was heading up to Central Sq to rent some dvds. As I approach, I'm noting that there are search lights as if there is some sort of event going on. So, I get to the square, and I hear music, too loud to be coming from any of the clubs, and anyway, who'd leave the door open to let the ac escape? And then I see it. They've blocked off a section of Mass Ave, and they're blaring dance music, and everybody is dancing. But it's not just dance music, all of it has instructions for the dances. So you know when to step to the left, or slide to the right, or hop 90 degrees. And everybody is out there, doing this. Young, old, people my age who should be officially disaffected and too cool to participate. And bah to anybody who says there's no cultural diversity, cause white, black, asian, hispanic, they're all doing the electric slide together.
I still have no understanding of why this was going on, but of all the places I've lived that have had various fairs and whatnot, I've never seen anything quite like that.

Meanwhile, my landlord continues to show my apartment. He is full of reasons for why it hasn't sold yet, all of which center on why I'm to blame. "It's not clean enough." "When I show up with people unexpectedly and wake you up, you're grumpy, it ruins the experience for them." "Your cat looks at people funny."
This evening, however, when somebody was looking at the apartment, I heard the guy ask, "How much is it, again?" $200 more than I'm paying. I like the place and all, but the windows are old, with no insulation, the floors are all slanted such that my desk has been making a slow move to escape the living room. The layout is not great. And if you haven't noticed, the landlord is a bit insane. What appealed to me most when I found the place was that it was cheap. I'm not so up on the general state of real estate, but I know that in my mind $100 more than what I'm paying is seen as an acceptable increase (though I'd rather avoid it if I could), whereas $200 is placing this apartment out of its market of "Hey this place is a good deal" and into the range of "You want how much?"

So, given that piece of information, I suppose I can forget about this place being filled before I move out, and thus having the random people stop showing up. Now to find myself someplace to live.

< Soon I will be off to Get Married | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
On apartments and moving. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
insane landlords by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:07:40 PM EST
christ, I'm having a seizure. Thus I can't add much other commentary.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

Welcome! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 02:15:24 AM EST
It's nice to see you here.

Re: Cats and landlords: I'm fully convinced that had any of my previous apartments ever been shown, my oldest cat Simon would have helpfully disabused them of the notion of wanting to come inside. I still have a scar from when he attacked me. He once barricaded a friend of mine in the bathroom and refused to let him out. Anyway, everyone knows cats are agents of the devil.

Good luck with the whole moving bit. I hope it's something I don't have to do again for many years.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM

On cats by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 03:38:52 AM EST
Despite her reputation of being an untamed beast for many years, Ariel is in fact quite friendly these days. Truth be told, if she is looking at anybody funny, it probably is because with the heat wave, I am less accepting of having her sit on my lap, or licking my hand while I move the mouse. Thus, she is looking for somebody who is willing to pet her despite the heat.

Cambridge is a nice place. by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 02:15:49 AM EST
Though the rents, in the area where I lived, were kind of steep. I ended up buying a house in the burbs with 3 or 5 bedrooms and a garage, with a mortgage payment about half what 1 br was renting for near my office.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

the girl who tamed the tiger by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 08:53:34 AM EST
Obviously, it is Mystery Girl who should move here. Then you can split the ridiculous rents, and still live in Cambridge.

Has your crazy landlord tried telling people that your cat doesn't come with the apartment? And that you don't either, for that matter? The dirt could be kicked out I guess, but it is likely to return.

Also, you were supposed to post turkey photos.

Do not misuse.

You and your sense. by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 02:30:28 PM EST
re Landlord: This is the same man that wanted to take pictures of the apartment. When I informed him that I had pictures that I took before I'd moved anything in, he grudgingly accepted saying "But it doesn't look like that now." "No, it doesn't rather, it looks like the apartment will when somebody moves in, thus making them even more valuable to potential tenants."

re Turkey: I've only just moved the photos from yahoo photos to flickr (which interestingly enough is also yahoo, I did not know that), and hopefully will allow for html tags to work properly.

re Mystery Girl: In little more than a week she moves to western NY, where she will be employed in a one year position including room and board. After that, who knows? But I kind of like that it gives us a year of not having to make a firm decision on how to proceed, but also places an obvious opportunity to do so later.

Well, yes by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:00:25 PM EST
I'm like that.

Ah, the western NY thing sounds like a good deal, on all fronts.

Re: turkey photos, upload them here and a magical dropdown box will appear over thataway ---> to facilitate the embedding of pictures in stories and comments.

I didn't really expect your landlord to do anything that remotely resembled making sense, though.

Do not misuse.

It all becomes clear by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:50:33 PM EST

We have turkey.

I like it. by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 03:47:38 AM EST
What's it doing?

Do not misuse.
turkey by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 03:00:50 PM EST
our turkey got arrested- we had a wild turkey that hung out at our house from the time she was a little bitty chick, all by herself. she made friends with our chickens, and ate all our birdseed. she overwintered with us, was pretty much our pet, and then one spring day decided to go on a jaunt into town...she was then picked up by a local cop, and taken to the opposite side of town and let go. with the car ride, she now had no idea where she was, and couldnt come home.

as revenge, though, she crapped in the brand new squad.
---------
Dance On, Gir!

Criminal turkeys by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 03:53:49 PM EST
I don't know what happened with this turkey. It was there in the afternoon, and had gone around the corner of the building by evening. Given that the area tends to clear out once the work day is done, I'm assuming nobody called the cops on it. At least, that's what I hope, I think I'd be up in arms if I discovered that being a turkey was against the law.

On apartments and moving. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback