Print Story There's a Ninja outside my door
but it's old and somewhat neglected.

Plus, back to school (slowly) Panzer Grenadier, house prep, a wish to the great spirit of e-commerce, massages, icy-hot and the extremely tedious health update, and less.

Poll: Favorite alternative medicine?

Summer is finally winding down, Thursday we had an open house for the school, and with both five year old and ten year old getting new classrooms. The kindergarten parents are generally younger than we are, and have a distinct granola vibe. It should be an interesting year.

Ten year old goes back Wednesday, five year old has an evaluation on Friday, and starts up next week.

I played my first full scenario of Panzer Grenadier: Airborne yesterday, it was a bit boring, as the paratrooper Yanks and the Krauts just shot at each other, some got scared, and a few got hurt.

Back in the days wargames were much bloodier, typical results of an attack were nothing, or complete destruction of the unit. But around 1977, Squad Leader came out and included the morale concept, the most likely result of a unit being attacked was that they would break under fire and run away, possibly recovering on their own, or with the help of a leader.

Most contemporary tactical wargames use this approach, for Panzer Grenadier, a unit has three morale values, good, disrupted and demoralized, with disrupted and demoralized units being far less capable in abilities, and more likely to run away.

The first scenario was mostly a learning scenario with few counters, in it 2 1/2 platoons of Yank paratroopers (probably 101st) tried to take a bridge defended by 2 platoons of Krauts, a heavy machine gun team, a mortar battery and a strongpoint. The paratroopers skulked through the swamp and hedgerows to get right up to the strongpoint, and fired point blank, and was fired upon point blank, for a few hours, with no significant results.

The next scenario looks more interesting, and was pretty much pulled from Band of Brothers, with the paratroopers trying to get a German gun battery on d-day. It will probably take an hour or two, maybe on the weekend.

Next weekend will most likely be rough. We won't have the kids, but we will most likely have Mrs. Ha's mom. We're hoping to get by with only 2 days of the long weekend, and I have a list of improvements to make and things to buy (shower/tub handrail, handheld showerhead, narrow showerchair) to help care for her. It was obvious going to her place just doesn't work, and the less we deal with the sister living there, the better. It's off to Lowe's and Wallyworld for me.

In other inlaw news, Mrs. Has sister should be visiting tomorrow, and may even make it here by tonight. This is the one that doesn't live with Mrs. Ha's mother, and is somewhat healthy emotionally.

I also placed an order for bike parts from bikebandit, Mrs. Ha knows I need a break from the caretaking, and a few hours with my hands all greasy and oily is just what the therapist ordered. I even paid a lot more for express shipping, in hopes I can get the parts before the long weekend.

In other bike news, we have a Ninja outside our door, at the end of our driveway. We think the owner is living with the girls next door, he does have trouble starting it ( I even helped him with carb cleaner one day), I suspect fuel problems. It hasn't moved in a few days, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten any tickets yet. The thing needs work.

I had a massage Friday, Mrs. Ha bought me one for my birthday half a year ago. She got it from one of the school moms who's daughter is in ten year old's class ( indeed, ten year old is celebrating her daughters birthday at the local amusement park this afternoon). She's a massage therapist who does a lot of work with my population, ie the ankylosing spondilities sort. It was great, in addition to the relaxing massage, she had some tips for my arthritis pain.

Right now, for my swollen sore achilles tendon on my left foot, I'm trying hydrotherapy. This is a nice word for a bucket of ice water, a bucket of very hot water, and alternating your foot between the too. I'm finding five minutes of each, repeated for an hour, is doable at night time. I think it's helping, but it's only been three nights.

If it works, I have to try it on my right foot, some of my toes are still sore and swollen.

In other tedious health news, I have to keep working my right knee, doing all the exercises I learned in PT. It still hurts like the dickens, and I still need handrails to go up and down stairs, and I still can't kick start the bike reliably.

< Shooting fish in a barrel | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
There's a Ninja outside my door | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Five year old by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 08:28:35 AM EST
My four year old misses the cut off age for Kindergarten in our town.  She had to be five before 10/1.  She will be five on 10/10.  We could get her into pre-school with the town, but that's $500 a month.  So pre-school is out and she'll be spending the next year being watched by my mother-in-law for free.

---------------
NY has universal pre-K by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 08:33:12 AM EST
so we got a yearof free preschool. The other years Mrs. Ha took her to work with her (Mrs. Ha works at a daycare for a health club).

Mass by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 02:42:29 AM EST
Mass is working toward it.  My only problem is that I expect it would be an unfunded mandate.  Currently schools take up 57% of our town's budget.  We couldn't afford another unfunded mandate.  I also know that we can't afford to fund free pre-k.  Life was easier not being involved in the town budget.  I could live a life of denial.

---------------
Put her into private school for a year by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:06:54 AM EST
And then toss her into public school at first grade.

These modern schools are retarded. I turned five in November and I still got in. My cousin turned five in December and it pretty much ruined his life.

ruined his life? by MM (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:37:47 AM EST
Did he join a gang in his lack-of-school boredom and get thrown in jail on drug charges?

No by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:43:17 AM EST
He happened to be home for an extra year while all of his friends had graduated and went to school. His mother went batshit insane, and he had no one to turn to so he decided to go batshit insane, too.

Yeah I'd by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 06:56:25 PM EST
put that under the ruined life category.

private school for a year by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:53:28 AM EST
is an excellent idea, as long as you can afford it. Hell, if you can afford it, it may be a good idea for 8 or 9 years.

The problem is by debacle (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:44:06 AM EST
Unless you're getting into a Montessori school or something, your kid is going to be learning how to be a good catholic, whether he likes it or not.

I find, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:14:19 AM EST
that good catholics grow up to be non-practicing catholics. I think if the religious can send their kids to public schools and still keep their kids believing in creationism, the atheist can probably send their kids to christian schools and have them still not believe in God.

No one I went to school with by debacle (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:20:28 AM EST
Believed in creationism.

You might say "Well how can you know that?" But I do. We had a wacky biology teacher who taught creationism before the unit on evolution.

I've never seen a grown man bitch-slapped by an administration so hard. There were assemblies, 'support groups,' and pamphlets. The guy still teaches science but he hasn't been near a biology class in six years.

Back in the good old days before everything in schools was political and just before the advent of infotainment.

Being raised by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 07:03:49 PM EST
a catholic and practising it to some degree until recently.  The person accepts it or doesn't.  I do believe there's something more to this life, just because I've seen too many f'up things.  I admit it could be self delusions but I've come to dislike the idea of organised religion trying to explain them.

Without trying to publicly humiliate myself by skippy (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:37:44 PM EST
but probably succeeding anyways, I'll bite.

For whatever reason I grew up believing in creationism (but that God had given the earth the "appearance of age", yadda yadda yadda), as a good little Mennonite.  It only took a few weeks arguing with a smart engineer to make me realize that the bullshit fundamentalist arguments were indeed bullshit and held no scientific weight whatsoever, and were in fact wrong.  And that a lot of the dogmatic trappings of The Church (in general) were also bullshit.

I had pretty much stopped going to church by that point (too lazy) and had been starting to question my blind faith (university can do that to you).

yeah by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 01:57:32 AM EST
Very effective, that is. I went to primary school, had catholic religion lessons, took my communion and confirmation and what a good little Catholic I am today...or was then.

Home influence is at least as important as school and at least exposure to religious teaching earlier can lead to familiarity breeding contempt rather than religion being seen as a road to rebellion later.

And there's my issue by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 02:45:33 AM EST
Currently I can't swing the extra $500 a month for public schools.  If I could she would be in pre-k this year.

---------------
Private school... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 02:44:29 PM EST
I know a lot of others have said it before, but that's the way to go. I turned 5 two weeks after the cutoff date so my parents put me in private school and I managed to graduate at 17 instead of 18.

Trust me. Just do it.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

I wish I had a friendly neighborhood ninja by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 08:50:10 AM EST
I've got a short list of a few individuals who need some quality late night ninja time.

Cicero, The Republic
The rider is not especially friendly by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 08:54:27 AM EST
and I'm still trying to figure out just who he is:

• baby daddy
  • boyfriend of mommy
  • boyfriend of roommate
  • platonic friend sleeping on couch

So far, the quality of late night Ninja time is whirr, whirr, whirr as he futilely tries to start it. It needs carb work.

I don't really care about the rider by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:02:00 AM EST
I just want access to to some good old fashioned ninja-fu.

Cicero, The Republic
Hard to start by Phage (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:08:53 PM EST
Could be anything if he's not taking care of it. Heh, the holy trinity is sparks, fuel and air. What does it smell like ?

I wasn't that close by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 01:54:26 AM EST
but with carb cleaner sprayed on the air filter, it started right up, maybe a gummy carb, or something gummy in the idling jets.

This morning... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:32:28 AM EST
ana pointed me at this article. I think I'll suggest mint oil to my mom for her chronic back pain.
Ah yes by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:38:55 AM EST
I always called it "hotcoldhotcold".  Helped greatly with my Planar Fascitis (sp?) during training for marathon #1.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
how long did you do it? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:47:19 AM EST
A week, a fortnight?

Till it stopped hurting by barooo (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 10:09:03 AM EST

Which in my case was probably about a week.  I'd try to do 5 minutes cycles with 2 hot and 2 cold.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt