Print Story Take me back to dear old blighty
By Herring (Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 10:42:46 AM EST) France (all tags)
And other stuff.

UPDATE Added a pointless poll about sci-fi music. Probably due to drink

Back from France (29 to give a more precise location). Will get around to diarising properly at some stage. Notable items to look forward to are:
  • Small boy and the Ferry
  • Herring and lateness paranoia
  • Fuck, these houses are cheap
  • Going to Morlaix, meeting Dave the Langoustine and eating him
  • The wisdom of putting up my parents and Mrs. H.'s parents at the same time
  • Being inside and outside of Calvados
  • The Bayuex tapestry is very long
  • Charcuterie. Yay.
  • Pink Granite
  • Bob the Dog is a ball-busting bastard
Meanwhile, still tired and disorganised. Didn't get in until nearly 1:00am last night and instantly regretted leaving that loaf of bread in the kitchen.

Small Boy is following an interesting line of logic. I got him a wakeboard, binding etc. off eBay  - because they were cheap. Not that cheap though. He's shown a relutance to have a go this year but he's not keen on the idea of me selling the stuff on. In other words, he wants to keep the equipment and not do the sport. Anyway, he's going to have another go tomorrow and it that doesn't work then I am going to dispose of the stuff. Anyone want a Hyperlite Motive 122?

Quick photo of Morlaix. Haven't had time to do anything with the rest.

< Lisa MF Lampanelli | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Take me back to dear old blighty | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Morlaix. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 10:47:38 AM EST
Aqueducts are beautiful.

Sadly, it's a viaduct. by Herring (4.00 / 3) #2 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 11:07:06 AM EST
They have trains running over them. For a UKian, it's quite a stirring sight - to see trains running.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Ob humourless response. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 01:40:22 PM EST
That's because rural and outer urban trains in the UK would never run on such narrow trackbeds because they actually run at higher speeds than the equivalent French lines with higher quality rolling stock and the same reliability levels.

Ob anecdotal response by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 04:15:08 PM EST
I have been 186mph on a train. It wasn't in the UK.

I agree though with the non-mainlines bit. I have taken the train to Bourg St Maurice to go snowboarding (it's easy - just change at Waterloo) and the last part of the journey is fucking slow. Still, it's quicker than flying and quicker than driving.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Ob I have. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 05:34:37 PM EST
Not on a train that ended its journey in the UK, though.

Take me back to dear old blighty | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback