Print Story R U ready?
Death
By calla (Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 02:58:30 PM EST) zombies, sewing, apocalypse (all tags)
I will be tomorrow.

I got a call from a friend today. She was at the Goodwill Thrift Store eyeing a beautiful and functional treadle sewing machine. She wanted to know if she should pick it up for me.

That's right. It's me.

I'm picking it up tomorrow.

< Awful confession! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
R U ready? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
treadles by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 03:04:25 PM EST
i've used them, but it was always a crapshoot whether they'd start up going forward or backwards.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Yeah. by calla (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 03:21:52 PM EST
My mom had one when I was a kid (I'm not sure if she still has it).

I wonder if the backwards/forwards bit is an issue with all treadles.

Seriously - you sew? Who taught you?

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

My mother, mostly. by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 03:46:46 PM EST
And then when i was in college, we decided the chaplain needed more vestments, so we made him some. These days i only do minor repairs and buttons and stuff.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I am very thankful... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 05:06:36 PM EST
for this talent of ana's. My grandmother - a home economics teacher - tried very hard to teach me to sew. It didn't work. So, once, as I was getting ready to visit Bostonia, I was on the phone with ana while trying to sew on a button. I think ana got tired of hearing me saying "fuck" again and again, so I brought with me the pants and button, and it was all taken care of. Yay for ana.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
You are lucky. by calla (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 07:57:15 PM EST
And appreciative.

A good match.

What a great mom. by calla (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 07:55:58 PM EST
Not even my mom taught me. She sent me and my sister off to sewing class. I also learned in church.

I think you are the first man I've known that could really sew. You've got my respect and esteem.

You just have to know how [tm] by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 04:07:27 PM EST
WIPO by ShadowNode (4.00 / 3) #8 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 10:36:28 PM EST
Zombie strippers

Ach. by calla (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 06:03:10 AM EST
That option should have been obvious.

Thanks.

WIPO by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #9 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 02:34:37 AM EST
Sew a cape for yourself!

Do not misuse.
Excellent idea. by calla (4.00 / 1) #13 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 06:04:57 AM EST
Maybe after a few months of getting used to the machine.

I'm hoping to make some great Halloween costumes for the kids this year.

IIRC by Phage (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 04:19:15 AM EST
Treadles have no ziz zag stitch

zig zag by calla (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 06:06:07 AM EST
is really only an issue with stretchy fabrics.

I'm not much of a stretchy fabric fan.

i learned how to sew on a turn of the 19th century by misslake (4.00 / 3) #11 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 04:54:31 AM EST
singer.

never have i seen such an incredible invincible machine. all iron, oak and gilded in egyptian desings.
re: sewing forwards or backwards there should be a little knob/crank thingy at your right hand, where the leather strap comes up over the top wheel of the machine. place your feet gently on the treadle, take hold of the knob and in one smooth motion, turn the knob and push with your feet. then you control which way the thing sews, push knob away from you for forwards, pull it towards you to go backwards.

i have just recently learned how to sew on one of those new-fangled electric machines. i must say, the pfaff is a marvel of german engineering, but i long for the control and mechanical connection i had with that old singer. it's still at my mom's house, and it still used to sew all her household needs.

You are a domestic goddess. by calla (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 06:13:27 AM EST
I say that with mucho love.

For many years I used a simple straight-stitch machine. Except mine was portable - with meant that I even took it on vacation. I lost it in the storage flood fiasco of 2003.

I've used super fancy machines but, like you, prefer the simple connection with the machines that I understand.

I bow before your most awesome powefulness! by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 03:52:08 PM EST
You're also damn cute!

Even as a male I had experience as a young'um on an old pedal driven Singer. Of course, the testosterone quickly took over and I can't sew a button on now...

Baby, you are so in my sig file: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 03:53:48 PM EST
Oh yeah - who's gonna sew cute little outfits for the zombies when they take over the world during the apocalypse? -- calla

That's super sweet, by calla (4.00 / 1) #18 Sun Aug 27, 2006 at 09:19:18 PM EST
especially because there's nothing the least bit sexy in that comment.

Are you gettin' soft? ;)

Thanks.

BoookMaaark by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 04:42:53 AM EST
for later replying on a non-"work" computer...

R U ready? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback