Print Story ooh look!
Travel
By Merekat (Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 05:51:07 AM EST) (all tags)
An interweb!

I am back from the far east of Europe with a new appreciation for things like reliable electrical power, showers that work for longer than 30 seconds, flushable toilets you can put bogroll into and water that does not taste of lake. I feel embarrassed and self conscious about the disparity in living standards and understand more why people move here. Previously, I did not think the cost of living would allow them to send much home. Now I understand that not much works out as quite a lot.

I miss the stunning scenery, the weather, the friendly locals and some of the food (yummy bread, grains and fruit fresh from the fields). But not the heavy potato-based stuff.

I have about 15 assorted bites and itches from various forms of wildlife, currently lavishly smeared in hydrocortisone. My back is all chafed from an improperly worn bag on a 20km hike in hot weather. My shoulders ache from using a keyboard and mouse again. I feel clean for the first time in a week.

By Wednesday, it will be as if I were never away. Roll on Iceland.

< I'm better, thanks for asking. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ooh look! | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
How far east? by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 05:55:26 AM EST
Czech Republic and Slovakia were like poorer versions of Western Europe but the infrastructure was pretty good.

rural eastern lithuania by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:04:31 AM EST
Closer to Belarus than the capital.

I am familar with the urban infrastructure in Poland, Czechia, Slovakia and Slovenia. This was far behind. I suspect Vilnius would have been more westernised.

Where did you go? by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:17:05 AM EST
The food can be a bit heavy out that way - woe betide any vegetarians.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

eastern lithuania by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 06:21:17 AM EST
And yup, heavy is a valid description. I had a subway roll for lunch. It was floaty-light in comparison.

That food would make sense... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 09:39:58 AM EST
... if you were to spend one winter there.

or indeed by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 28, 2006 at 11:06:51 PM EST
Do a day's labour in the fields.

ooh look! | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback