Print Story Soon I will be off to Get Married
By duxup (Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 12:34:20 PM EST) duxup wedding;Civilization IV: Warlords (all tags)
duxup posts his last husiary before he goes to get hitched.

Topics:
Wedding stuff
A dream job for duxup?
A new car for the duxup family?
Civilization IV: Warlords

Wedding Plans

My biggest concern about the wedding (other than attending a public event with more than six people) was the number of people we invited.  Thank goodness we received a large number of regrets.  It appears the wedding has gone from an insanely large number of guests, to only a moderately insane number of guests.  The important thing is that everyone should be able to sit comfortably in the reception hall.  w00t!  Same goes for the breakfasty reception and afternoon golfy and beer reception event the next day.

Travel

We’re leaving this weekend to head to the wedding site.  It isn’t exactly the middle of nowhere but people stay in the same town when they visit.  I need to remember to call and confirm my hotel reservations and plane reservations.  I once heard that was a good thing to do.

Also I need to draw a light outline of plans for the Honeymoon with lots of buffer time for typical honeymoon activity.  Something like Monday: Wander around the island.  Tuesday: Wander around San Diego Zoo. and so on.

The Wedding

People keep asking me if I’m nervous yet, the only thing I’m nervous about is why I’m not nervous.  So that problem seems to have solved itself.

Continuing the good news it appears that all of my aunts and uncles from my father’s side of the family are coming to the wedding.  The last time they visited that little town was 20 years ago for my father’s funeral.  They are all great people and it will be nice to have them there.  The remaining three brothers from their family of 8 children (4 boys, 4 girls, 7 of them adopted) will be the gift bearers at the ceremony.  Sadly Grandma and Grandpa won’t be able to make it.  Grandma just isn’t in any shape to travel and hasn’t been for a couple years now.  Grandpa could travel but understandably he doesn’t want to leave Grandma out as the only one not going.  Fortunately they will be at the Minnesota reception.

I still need to order groomsmen gifts.  I thought about going to go with fancy pens but now I’m changing my mind.  I’m one of those excessively practical folks who really only wants to get people stuff they will use or explicitly want.  I think I might wuss out and just go the Swiss Army Knife route.

New Car?

My bride’s automobile is about ready to detonate.  It has been hinting at such for a long time now and slowly has been dropping parts and generally sounding sickly.  It is weird as her car is about 9 years old, mine about 12 and mine runs like a rock.  I very much appreciate my little Honda’s reliability.

So we’re considering buying a new car.  Based on word from other people and Consumer Reports we like the idea of the Subaru Outback or Forester.  There doesn’t seem to be as much difference between the two as I expected.  The bride’s father has some contacts at a local car company in his area.  We will be taking the jalopy back home for the wedding in case we make a purchase during that time.

New Job?

They say life comes at you fast.  Getting married (let alone thinking of a new car, and buying a new water softener) has taken up a lot of my time lately and then comes this whole potential new job thing.

While discussing an unrelated topic a guy who runs a video gaming site mentioned they have some openings and thought I should apply.  One position looked particularly desirable as I have a fair idea of what it entails.  It could potentially be my dream job, or at least one I could be very happy at.  Despite my lack of experience in that area I was encouraged to apply.

There is a catch of course.  I’d have to move across the country and I enjoy it here in the Twin Cities.  Living here I am near some good family and not excessively far from other family.  I’m not a big extended family guy, but their proximity and occasional holiday get together activities are something that I take some comfort in.  Even so I and my bride are not opposed to moving.

Another catch is that  the area where I would work is expensive to live.  I also get the impression (possibly mistaken) that this is one of those jobs that is desirable enough that it’s not necessary to pay all that well.  While my current job is not my dream job one nice perk is that I think it pays pretty well.  I’m sure there are folk bringing home much larger bags of money home that would disagree with me, but it’s enough money that I bought a house a few years ago and I can save my pennies while I pay a mortgage.  Growing up in a single parent household with little money means that $$$ is important to me.  It’s more about feeling secure rather than having it to spend.

I figure I’ll put together a Resume and fire it off before I head out for the wedding.  Worst thing that could happen is they say no.  Next worst thing is that I get an interview, and maybe I’ll get to visit them and they say no.  Worst of all is that they make an offer and I have to make a seriously tempting and difficult decision.  Best of all is that they make an offer to a guy with no direct experience in their field for a ridiculous amount of money ;) . . . -duxup daydreams-

Civ IV: Warlords

The expansion for Civ IV is out.  It’s good stuff.  The new leaders are nice to see if only as new faces.  I’ve grown tired of the usual crowd.  I don’t even answer Isabella’s calls anymore.  How much of this from here do they expect me to take? “I hate you!”  “Give me stuff even though I am no threat to you and there’s no darned good reason you would ever comply with my wishes” * wait five turns * “I hate you! Now give me stuff!” wash, rinse, repeat.  Augustus Caesar (Rome) is my new favorite Civ to pay.  Every time I play as Augustus the purple Roman flags washe across the earth like the tide on a beach.

The Great general system is nice and pays off well.  It should give those smaller warlike states a noticeable but not overpowering boost against those peaceful large states.  Toss a great general in a city as a great person.  Take another and have him build an academy.  Build a military related national wonder, and maybe even toss in the Pentagon and you’ve got a city built to kick some ass.

The Capitulation and Vassal State systems also r0x0rs.  Rather than walk thru every inch of an opponent’s empire long after the war’s course has been determined you can ask, threaten, or maybe they will offer to become a vassal state by asking them to capitulate during wartime.  A vassal state becomes a part of your empire.  The AI still runs that state but they basically walk lock step with you in terms of wars, and you can even demand resources (even if they only have 1 unit of that resource) and such concessions from them.  Being Vassal states most of the time they comply with your requests.  When acting as a Vassal State you get half of their empire credited to you in terms of victory conditions.  If they say no to your demands (it’s rare) it is automatic war between you and your vassal state, but not to worry they are usually weak enough to where they’re not much of a threat.  When at war they often do a good job of distracting, attacking, and absorbing the enemy resources while you do the bulk of the attacking.

The AI can become a vassal sate outside of wartime if you are dominating enough.  If done via peacetime the Vassal State condition only lasts X number of turns and then it peacefully ends.  Meanwhile capitulation it is a relatively permanent state.

The Vassal State condition will end if the Vassal State becomes larger than half the size of the controlling state regardless of how it was initiated, peace or war.  I believe this is determined by territory size and/or population.  I haven’t seen that happen yet as you usually have the other nation beat down fairly well before they’re willing to capitulate.  The only way I can imagine that happening is if the controlling state lost a great deal of territory to another nation.

I don’t know if the player can become a Vassal State yet.  I’ve not been in that situation.  I’m guessing no as it would be a fairly passive experience at that point.  Note that Vassal States aren’t available until after you discover feudalism.  Ostensibly this is for historical reasons and to prevent players exploiting it in the early game.

< Is it Monday? It feels like Monday. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Soon I will be off to Get Married | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Swiss Army Knives by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 12:56:35 PM EST
if they're flying back to their places of origin, you might also want to get them shipping boxes, since they can't carry them onto the airplanes. Might could check them these days; not too sure.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Great point by duxup (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:03:32 PM EST
Lucky for me they're all driving in this case.
Cool. by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:49:03 PM EST
Do enjoy it. At this point, stuff just happens. Enjoy it, form the memories that the pictures you'll see later will recall.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

this may be a stupid question by 256 (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:52:56 PM EST
but can't you just toss a swiss army knife in your checked baggage?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
i think so. by ana (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 02:04:03 AM EST
i try not to check luggage, however.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

IIRC by cam (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:39:02 PM EST
Forester is on the Impreza chassis, while the Outback is on a different one.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Ah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 04:58:23 PM EST
Good to know, although not being much of a car fanatic that doesn’t make much difference to me.  Mostly I was looking fuel economy and such ;)
warlords by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:52:21 PM EST
having just downloaded the latest patch the other day, i'm not really sure i want to go get warlords too. i still haven't really figured out how to beat emperor level yet so it's not like there's no challenge to me. i'm not sure how much i like some of the changes either, i was only impressed by one or two of the new personalities and i thought some of the new unique units looked relatively weak as well.

Expansion, kinda by duxup (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:04:46 PM EST
It is defiantly not a ground shattering expansion.  It’s one of those that I think any ciffantaic should pick up, but I wouldn’t blame anyone passing on this one as Civ IV and the always great patches make Civ IV a complete enough game where it could last ages (in terms of gameplay) in just that condition.

That’s especially true for those folks who don’t play the scenarios.

mmm by theantix (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:59:39 PM EST
warlords sounds tasty!  I didn't even know it was out yet.  thanks for the review.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
It's yummy n/t by duxup (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:05:20 PM EST

____
I didn't get my invite. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:34:14 PM EST
And: we love ya.  Hope the ceremony and surrounding evennts go well.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Your invite must have been lost in the mail :O by duxup (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:06:54 PM EST
n/t
____
Best wishes to you both by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:42:35 PM EST
Congrats!

----
I am a crime against humanity
-theantix

Thanks! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:07:45 PM EST
Enjoy your bundle of drool and joy!
____
and poop, dont forget poop! by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #34 Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 05:08:29 AM EST

----
I am a crime against humanity
-theantix

congratulations! by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:50:50 PM EST
Congratulations. Have fun. Remember to eat during the reception.

I got married less than a month ago and still haven't managed to write up my wedding report, because i'm a bad diarist.

You think you're bad? by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:46:10 PM EST
I lurk here 5 days a week and my last diary was something like seven months ago.

actually, no. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:49:31 PM EST
i think i have just cause.

in the last month, at work, i have:
  * released eight patches
  * released an alpha for a new project with a 6-week development cycle.

in the last month, at home, i have:
  * gotten married
  * gotten taken off of a waiting list for law school (and had to decide what to do)
  * stood guard over my best friend after he had a heart attack
  * had panic attacks about how i might have a heart attack

it's been QUITE a month.

oh pshaw by MM (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 08:15:01 AM EST
surely you have time to get a drink with me sometime.

that by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 11:19:03 AM EST
can probably be arranged.

of course, jared and i are in the middle of trying to move, so it might take a while. :)

Oh My! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 10:36:44 AM EST
This sounds like an awful lot for on month. I send you hugs. I hope that what was supposed to go well did and crisis were overcome.

Continue to be strong.
*twinkle*twinkle*

thank you. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 11:31:20 AM EST
hugs are appreciated. :)

things that were supposed to go well did, and crises are being overcome.

the panic-anxiety attack shit is a one-day-at-a-time proposition.

I do that too by duxup (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:09:19 PM EST
There are events I intend to write about but that I don’t feel that I can do justice and just abandon them.
____
Congratulations and Good Luck Mr. Duxup <nt> by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:37:53 PM EST

Thank you by duxup (4.00 / 1) #29 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:10:10 PM EST
There will be pics, just not of camera shy me ;)
Plzpostpixthx by Phage (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:44:55 PM EST
No really.
You can edit them beforehand after all. Go on, you know you want to.

Thank you by duxup (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:10:54 PM EST
here will be pics, just not of camera shy me ;)
____
Best of luck, duxup! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 11:30:41 PM EST
Have a great day.

Thank you sir! by duxup (4.00 / 1) #31 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:12:00 PM EST
n/t
YAGL by TPD (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 02:53:53 AM EST
Yet Another Good Luck!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Gracias! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:12:18 PM EST
n/t
____
You sound like CBB here.... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 10:34:18 AM EST
Same wedding concerns and such. It sounds like everything is turning up duxup! Enjoy your life!

I don't agree that getting Swiss army knives is some sort of wuss out, how so? They area cool thing which all the boys will prolly like; sounds like a solid choice.

I hope your wedding goes well and you have delightful time just hanging out with your wife somewhere warm.
*twinkle*twinkle*

Things are going well by duxup (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:13:51 PM EST
I’m just a nervous gift giver, and party attendee, and party planner . . .

Thank you much for the good wishes!