Print Story This'd be the title.
By ana (Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:34:35 AM EST) This'd, be, a, tag (all tags)
This'd be the intro.

So, yesterday was one of the hottest days on record, a record broken again today. We, of course, failed to consult the weather forecast (which for once was more or less right) before scheduling lunch in town. Getting there was not that much of a problem, and the meal itself (with toxicfur, Kellnerin, and K's friend G) delightful.

Getting back kind of addled my brain. When at last I arrived in my office, I turned up the blower on the chilled (or heated, depending on the season) water unit under my window, which, when I'm sitting at the computer, blows cold (or hot, see above) air into my armpit. Which cooled me down nicely, thanks, but didn't do much to restore my intelligence.

Hence some of the stream of consciousness in this comment. Which recalls a certain bit of sophomoric humor based on the same intentional mispronunciation...

clap stomp clap stomp clap stomp clap stomp
How bout them horse-doovers, ain't they sweet?
Little bit o cheese and a little bit o meat.
The first line just sets up the proper knuckle-dragging iambic tetrameter rhythm.

This bit of streamed consciousness is brought to you partly by the delicate odor of spiced and sauced eggplant, coming down the hall from the direction of the microwave. I'm thinkin people who want to heat up stuff that smells that bad should have to do it in their own offices. Before all that started, I was thinking of warming up an extra cup of coffee I snagged this morning, but I'm not going near the microwave unless I have to, now.

Anyhoo... After getting my brain addled by the heat, I was not in any kind of shape for the careful thought it takes to write code. So, maybe this afternoon. I actually remembered to pack a lunch today, so no going outside will be required until quitting time, and then only to an air conditioned car.

When I got home last night, neither of us felt much like cooking or eating (what with the big lunch of unidentifiable dim sum dumplings). So we holed up in the bedroom (the one place with an AC unit), a laptop, and the latest disk from Netflix: Looney Tunes. Fun. Though the posture enforced by sitting on the bed watching is kinda hard on my neck.

Anyway. Perhaps the smell has dissipated by now, and I can warm up the coffee, titrate my caffeine dose, and get something done this aft.

Hmm. Fat finger in the spellchecker gave it permission to substitute "thematics" for "theantix".

< "Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
This'd be the title. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
smelly things by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:52:00 AM EST

There was a guy in our department, N, who had issues with smelly, messy food. He and his food were the issue, that is -- he liked his seafood, and the less-canned, the better. We had a crappy, crapping-out microwave in the copy room, which doubled for a mini-kitchen ... sink, fridge, and microwave. And in said microwave he liked to nuke fish and squid. In his office, which was shared with about ten other folks, one would find plates, complete with fish bones, complete fish skeletons, and scaly fish heads. In the fridge his bag of squid leaked, and leaked some more.

No tears were shed when he left.

Couldn't you have just beaten the carp outta him? by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:59:49 AM EST
Sorry, just couldn't resist.
Continue to lean until you feel gravity threatening to discipline you for being stupid. - CRwM
Got any cephalopod jokes? by mrgoat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:04:34 AM EST

--top hat--
Got any ammo? by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:07:59 AM EST
Chambered. Not a loose.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

No squid for you! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:18:37 AM EST
I save my bad puns (is it still a pun if it only works when written?) for bo and ana.
What is it by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:44:18 AM EST
with kitchens in copy rooms? Lessee, paper, copier chemicals, and ... foodstuffs! What a brilliant idea.

I used to sit across the hall from one of these kitchen/copy areas (this was the cube where I came in one day to find my scissors on my desk instead of in the mug in which they usually resided; two grooves had been melted into the blades halfway up, such that they did not cut, or even close, anymore. I suspected someone needed tongs for the toaster oven.)

Anyway, we had a similar issue with fish (not to mention people making popcorn too effing early in the morning). Following microwaved-fish incidents, the boss of bosses would retrieve a bottle from the perfume stash in her office and fumigate the surrounding area, although what she really wanted to do was put up a sign with a fish in a slashed circle on the microwave door.

Do not misuse.

we had ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:56:57 AM EST

... three secretaries.

One older, do-anything-for-you, get-things-done, non-confrontational. One I-do-my-thing-you-do-yours, do-what-I-can-for-you, 9-to-5. One passive-aggressive, chuckles-and-laughter.

The third left, needing more hours, so she went to another dept.; her replacement is/was a grad in another dept., is a taken-no-shit, who-do-I-look-like?-your-mother?, forget-the-PA-I'm-just-aggressive type.

With this 3rd one things got cleaned up. She refuses to do dishes that are in the sink, etc., but if messes are left about and not cleaned up, she tosses things. She refuses to let Secretary #1 wash the dishes (and encourage non-dish-washing folks to leave messes). She posts flyers about keeping things clean. It's great. She scares some of the faculty and grads. This, too, is great.

Anyway: copy room. Given the building design, the 'same room' exists on nearly a dozen floors, and it is interesting to see how different departments decorate it. We have a low, utility-room, cast-iron-covered-by-white sink, one pseudo-built-in counter, a couple table, a copier, some steel cabinets. Slavic put in kitchen counters, a small kitchen sink, cupboards, woodend shelves and mailboxes, etc. Everyone agrees that our copy room sucks, but remodeling is a bureaucratic issue of sorts, for since we do not 'own' (or even 'rent') the room, we cannot remodel, per se ... forms and requests must be submitted, etc. No drilling in the walls, redoing plumbing, etc. ... the most we can do is rearrange the furniture.

I used to bring sardines for lunch by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:53:26 AM EST
For just over two years I worked the graveyard shift at at round the clock helpdesk. When day shift would piss me off (which was frequent) I'd even the score by bringing sardines in for lunch and just tossing the can in the wastebasket under my desk knowing that the bins don't get emptied until 8pm well after  first shift goes home.

When I was really angry, I'd bring sardines in for lunch on a Friday night.

Cicero, The Republic
This be the verse by Herring (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:47:35 AM EST
Actually, I don't think my mum and dad did fuck me up. Made me a Guardian reading leftie though.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky