Print Story It's hotter than a witch's fallopian tube out there
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:50:55 AM EST) All this and much much more!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Keeping the world spinning on its axis since 1976...

I don't know where you live, and frankly I'm not too concerned with that, but I do know that where I live it's been like 110 in the shade for the past few days, with the same on order for today. Of course I'm in a well air-conditioned space, both at "work" and at home, but alas! talking about the heat is a universal meme and I'm nothing if not a propagator of memes, or memses, or whatever.

Suffice it to say it's just damn blazing hot out there, and, as the evil winds of fate would have it, the Air-Conditioner in my trusty steed refuses to come on. I push the button and the green "ON" light lights up, but nothing happens. Fuse?? Short?? I'm ashamed to admit that even though I do have a penis I'm not real handy with cars, but if this is just a quick and easy girlie-man fix I'd hate to pay 20,000 rupees to have my mechanic do it. Bah, I hate cars. Hate hate hate.

I'm happy to announce that the SABP went into the studio last night and laid down some tracks for the next MFC. They got the bridge down(which I really like, actually) and a rough outline for the rest of the song, so, God willing, I'll have an entry for MFC VII. I just don't know what to do about vocals or lyrics. I could easily whip up some lyrics but singing just isn't my bag. If only I knew a group of black diva's who would be willing to help me out on this one small issue. Or maybe I'll just do some sampling from other songs but that's kind of the loooosers way out, and a bit too time consuming to really make it sound good. Either way, the show must go on.

I read Underboss oer the weekend and was pretty much disappointed with the whole thing. So disappointed that I don't think I want to join up with the mob anymore. They're like a bunch of 7th graders with guns. Sure, you get to bone lots of whores and you have lots of free time, when your not fleecing innocent victims or whacking someone, but in the end I don't think I'm cut out for it. Sammy comes off as a real dick in the book, which isn't real objective IMHO. Bottom line, don't waste your time reading it, watch The Sopranos instead.

I had the wild urge to install Perl on my new-ish computer at home, so I did. After futzing around with it for a bit I don't really know what I want to do with it. Maybe write that great American Script, or something. Or maybe delete it and install Java1 instead, except all the Java crap is about 800 million megs. What the eff was Sun thinking with that big bloated God awful slow mess, they could have made it so cool

[1] - The ponderously slow programming environment, not the refreshing beverage.

< Been a while | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's hotter than a witch's fallopian tube out there | 52 comments (52 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Air-con by hulver (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:54:39 AM EST
Mine used to do that when it was empty. I'd take it back to the garage to fill up the coolant, and then 3 weeks later it would all be gone again. Slow leek.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I had it charged last summer by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:01:45 AM EST
I don't think it's that though, as the compressor isn't even kicking on. I've got a 4 cylinder car and you can tell instantly when it comes on because the whole engine kind of goes "blub blub blub" and the car becomes quite sluggish. I'm not getting any of that now. Or is it that the compressor won't kick on if there isn't enough freon?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

freon by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:04:15 AM EST
I know what you meen with the compressor. Mine never used to kick in when it was empty.

Perhaps they didn't screw the filler cap back on enough when they re-filled it last time?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

yep by webwench (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:35:37 AM EST
the Benz's compressor won't engage unless there's some R-134 in the system; I suspect most cars have the same. You can get a gauge at AutoZone for like, $5 or $10, that you can use to measure the pressure, and you can get cans of R-12 or R-134 to fill 'er up yourself.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

I can fill it up myself??? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:41:03 AM EST
Are you kidding me??

I thought you had to have some sort of high-priced machine to load freon into the magical freon machine.

How exactly does one fill er up? Is it similar to putting air in a tire, cause I can do that myself.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Fiure out what kind of refrigerant you have by webwench (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:47:29 AM EST
it's probably in your owner's manual, or someone smarter than me can tell by the size of the port thingy, I think.

But yeah, buy a box at an auto parts store that includes a gauge on a hose, and a can of refrigerant. (If you think you might be empty, get two cans.) The directions in the box will be very clear about both checking your existing pressure and also adding refrigerant.

Then the question becomes, how often are you having to refill it? If it's every couple of weeks, you should get someone to find and fix your leak. If it's once or twice a summer, might as well just charge it up yourself, it's cheaper. If you add enough refrigerant to bring the pressure up and the compressor still doesn't kick on (and you rule out stupid crap like a blown fuse, etc), I'm afraid you're looking at a mechanic putting in a new compressor for you. Not cheap :(

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Sounds easy enough by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:14:17 AM EST
Thanks for that.

After some googling it turns out that it might even be the temperature control switch on the dash that's broken. I'm gonna have to look at that too I guess.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

CFC's, ozone layer etc by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:56:27 AM EST
what year is the car ? Ye olde waggonne uses the "bad" freon, the stuff you need a license to buy. Newer cars take stuff you can saunter down to AutoZone and buy a few cans of.

Just make sure you figure out which is the high pressure and which is the low pressure side in your system. Look for 2 schrader-valve like thingies with a cover, at least, that's what I have.

It's a 96 by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:03:44 AM EST
They charged me something like a hundred bucks last year to charge it. If I could have done it myself for $20 I'm gonna be miffed.

I'm off to google the car right now to see what all this will entail.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Python, bob by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:57:54 AM EST
you need a pet on your machine, so you should install python. Those precious stones like pearl and ruby are useless. And java you can't drink is no fun, but a python, that you can play with.

Hot hot hot, yup, even in the south east, it's hot. It's only 11 am and mercury is at 34 C.. Cripes.

AC in the car -- bob, ye olde waggoon  hasn't had AC for over 6 years. Roll the winders down and avoid stop/go traffic (read: interstate w/ no backups). Heck, I don't even sweat any more when on my drive home. Get used to all that heat etc.

My Dad just loooooooves Python by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:11:16 AM EST
I, on the other hand, refuse to use any language where white space matters. No sir, I'd rather wear disco hot pants and an Amish bonnet than to do something that wrong.

rere: Yeah yeah, windows down yada yada. I don't know, I don't mind the heat so much unless it gets to be in the mid 90's, which isn't more than a few weeks a year. And this does get me out of having to haul my friends around (I simply announce my AC isn't working and they volunteer to drive) but I feel like such a commoner. I'm certain people are looking at me and laughing when I pass them on the road and they see my windows down.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

not at all, not at all by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:15:00 AM EST
'Round here, if your winders are down, people look at you either a) you are one massive macho hombre, don't fuck with him or b) batshit crazy mofo to run with the winders down.. I suppose there's a c) poor-ass mofo, which, given the waggonne I could see some folks drawing that obviously wrong conclusion. Of course, the rubes around here turn their AC on when it's 70 outside, and that's wonderful weather.

Python and white space -- it's not the white space, but the indentation. Makes for folks that don't line up their {} braces. Much easier to know scope etc.

That's even worse by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:31:50 AM EST
I'm anal with the {} indents, but I don't want to use the alignment that some long haired unemployed hippie thinks I should use. I didn't watch my best friends die face down in the mud jungles of Viet Nam just so I could cede my freedom to some retarded programming language.

Nay, for me it's the BSD/Allman Brothers method or nothing. Which reminds me, I have to find out how to tell Emacs to use the Allman method to save me some typing.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

not quite by theantix (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:20:18 AM EST
They don't force you to use a specific alignment, you can use whatever method you want -- tabs, 2 space indent,  4 space indent, or whatever floats your boat.  Just once you pick a method you have to stick with it for your entire script -- something a good coder would do anyhow.

The only problem with this occurs when two people work on the same script who have different ideas about what the one true indentation type is.  But for people who already keep a consistent indentation policy who are working alone, you won't notice the slightest difference in your coding style except that you won't ever miss a closing bracket.  The biggest difference is that your code is cleaner and more readable.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.

not quite not quite nitpick by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:36:51 AM EST

It's even more LIE-beral than that. You only have to maintain the same (user-chosen) consistent indentation for the same level of indentation. If you really want to, you can have two spaces for the first block-level indent, one space for the second and tab+three spaces+tab for the third. Why you'd want to, OTOH ...

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
tabs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:49:28 AM EST
The only other problem is where person A uses tabs and person B uses spaces. But that's a situation that can make code illegible in C-like languages anyway.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh and one other problem by theantix (2.00 / 0) #42 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:25:26 AM EST
It's also problematic when two people work on the same codebase and one person uses spaces and the other person uses tabs.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
tabs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #45 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:30:54 AM EST
Tabs are the devil's tool and should be purged from ASCII and UNICODE.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
It's not that bad by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #36 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:47:31 AM EST
The indentation rules are simple:

• Everything in a block should be indented to the same column.
  • You should always use only spaces or only tabs to indent.
  • Indent wherever you'd use curly-braces in C/Java/Perl.

Really, when I learned Python, I quickly realized that if I just indented where I would have anyway, it worked fine.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

IUsedToAWTP by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:25:54 AM EST
but really, you don't notice the white space thing in Python, especially if your editor Just Does It For You. And it really makes the code look nice to not have lines wasted on {}s.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Do it, man, do it! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:34:35 AM EST
Python is like a dream! Terse yet clear!

The thing about whitespace is this: your brain uses whitespace to see the program's structure. Why not use a language that uses the same thing as your brain?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

One mention of Perl and all the hippies come out by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #43 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:27:27 AM EST
I won't do it.

And I'm not trying the brown acid either.

And now I'm motivated to write the most earth shattering innovative planet-saving program, IN PERL, all in one line, that mankind has ever known.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

My AC is out too by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:59:19 AM EST
And I don't want to bring it in because then they'll just tell me all the other expensive stuff that needs to be fixed.

If you want to avoid awful messes, why did you settle on Pearl? I'd sooner use a single-mouse-button Mac than run Pearl.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Yeah by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:04:29 AM EST
I know, but I actually like arcane things when it comes to coding. I like C. I even like assembler.

That's real manly programming.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

C and ASM are cool by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:09:28 AM EST
They are arcane because you are practically flipping bits by hand. You can get back to your caveman roots by using those languages. They have a sparse beauty, not unlike a desert which sustains life with a minimum of water.

Pearl, on the other hand, is just stupid.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

IAWTP by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:17:10 AM EST
PERL is nothing but a string manipulation script. It's not like you can build any sort of significant application with it.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Perl by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #41 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:11:00 AM EST
I used to like Perl. Then one day I learned Python, and I realized that what I liked about Perl was scripting and good library support and that the language itself was a pain in the ass.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
real manly programming? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:48:57 AM EST
Seems that way. Until you have to write something in machine code. Pure hexadecimal, Bob. That's Real Programming.

Thank TISG I only had to do it once.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heh by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:59:47 AM EST
My dad was a systems analyst for a large fortune 500 company back in the 60's and he has tales of actually having to hack different values directly into specific memory locations of a running computer.

That's manly stuff.

Back then you had to get your entire app into just a few k.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Back then by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #47 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:23:00 AM EST
Hell, 10 years ago. If you were doing embedded apps.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

True by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #48 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 09:56:31 AM EST
But ten years ago you had much better tools than what were available in the 60's.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Fifteen years ago by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #50 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:25:29 PM EST
I debugged an embedded ap with a voltmeter.  I think they were around then.

Tools used:
bare bones assembler (hope they had them)
eprom burner (not a chance)
eprom erasure (same)
voltmeter (to watch pins toggle to show that the program hadn't crashed yet - they had them)
MacDraw to create IRON-ON PCB. (Nope).
Laser printer to print above iron-on (there weren't enough drugs even in the 60s to hallucinate one).
Real-bloody-chemicals to etch the circuit board (available in the 60s, not in the 90s).

I'm not sure when it would be easier.  I suspect that somebody just wire-wrapped the silly thing after I left the project.

Wumpus

voltmeter? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #51 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 04:00:18 AM EST
No oscilloscope?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Not fior the software. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #52 Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 05:15:43 PM EST
I did need to borrow an oscilloscope (it was in a startup incubator, got the scope fron the wind tunnel) to test the hardware.  I discovered what I was trying wouldn't work.  It was the type of idea someone gets staight out of school.

The voltmeter worked fine for the software.

Wumpus

me three by MM (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:05:37 AM EST
I survived it out here due to the fact that it isn't humid, still, when it was 105 outside, I was uh, perspiring just a bit.

Save the planet by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:14:15 AM EST
Wind the window down

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Depends how fast you drive by hulver (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:22:37 AM EST
There is a point (depends on how areo-dynamic your car is) at which if you drive faster it's more efficient to keep the windows up and use the air-con.

The drag of having the windows down causes you to burn more fuel than the air-con uses above that speed.

Just use a push-bike instead.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Mythbusters covered this by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:24:36 AM EST
I don't remember the result. FYI.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
It's all in the wikipedium by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:30:57 AM EST
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Says what I said by hulver (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:11:29 AM EST
45 MPH. Windows down better.
55 MPH. AC better.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Except by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #44 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:29:37 AM EST
I suspect it varies by car model.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
of course it would by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #49 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 10:38:42 AM EST
as powerconsumption amongst ac equipment (and cars, of course) does vary
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Dude, you're slipping by lm (4.00 / 2) #20 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:45:09 AM EST
The Original Mythbuster already handled this question.

Cicero, The Republic
DU, you are slipping, horribly by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:53:34 AM EST
I mean, c'mon, straight dope covered that..

Well sure by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:54:51 AM EST
In like 1734. Mythbusters has the cutting edge research here, especially since they did two runs.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
And 'New Scientist' readers say that by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:24:09 AM EST

it's a decidedly non-trivial question.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
It had occured to me by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:45:58 AM EST
Also, is the air conditioning powered by the battery? In which case it's (sort of) off a dynamo anyway.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Depends on the car by hulver (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:09:51 AM EST
Mine is run of the Alternator (IE, uses electricity, but not the battery), whereas some are run directly from the engine.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Wind?? Wind??? by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:34:00 AM EST
1965 just called, they want their car back.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

O.K., then by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:11:49 AM EST

... push a button to close a circuit to close a relay to trigger a motor to wind the window down.

Better?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Java by theantix (4.00 / 2) #33 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:27:28 AM EST
Don't worry, I'm sure once Sun open-sources it the size and overall bloatedness will go down.
____________________________________
Everything you wanted to know about Kansas City, and more.
Spreching of witch, by blixco (4.00 / 2) #46 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:49:44 AM EST
Turn down your stereo, man.
---------------------------------