Print Story CFC2: Vote!
Media
By spacejack (Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 07:18:58 PM EST) CFC, CFC2 (all tags)
It's that time again. The entries are in!

Comic Fun Challenge 2: Vote!

I think we've got some really high quality stuff this time, even if a few less entries than last time. But it's the second hottest August first ever where I am, and everyone is hot, tired and lethargic, and I can barely type this without passing out. So my expectations were far exceeded by the comics that were submitted, both in quality and quantity.

Voting will go on for a week, with a deadline at the same time (12:00am EST Wednesday Aug 10). And if you're running behind with an entry, you can still upload one before then and try to catch some late votes.

The Entries

1. avftf.jpg
  2. turkeyslapde.jpg
  3. jamaisVuNum01.gif
  4. WWvRMG1.jpg
  5. comic.gif
  6. zombie.jpg
  7. apple_aztek.jpg
  8. luckypenny.jpg
  9. comic1.jpg
  10. longmonth.jpg
  11. deja_joue.jpg
  12. toon.jpg
Thanks to 256 once again for hosting the comics.
< Big wheel, keep on turnin' (please) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
CFC2: Vote! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!! by TPD (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Aug 01, 2006 at 11:42:38 PM EST
These are really good!

The 3 that got my vote are avftf, longmonth and deja_joue but I could have quite happily carried on and voted for them all as I enjoyed every one!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Weird... by edward (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 12:20:18 AM EST
The first CFC was better. These all seemed... lacklustre.

agree some, disagree some ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:11:43 AM EST

The "production values" in/for the first CFC were generally better. As most would agree, I think, three of those best-produced ones were the spacejack and/or spacejack+someone productions (and calla's "webby's school, of course ..."). Most of the comics in CFC1 were 'gags' ("webby's", "hulver", "rumsfeld") in a sense, or 'reflections' ("Every Day"), with "Laundry Day" (sort of) and "Immortality" being the only really 'narrative' pieces, whereas, this time a higher percentage (of a smaller total) are somewhat story ("Déjà Joué", "Lucky Penny") rather than just gag/punch-line oriented, I think, plus a concept-piece or two (such as "A View from the Fridge"). More stick-figures this time, only a couple of the comic-creator type, and several that do not really interest me at all. That's the "in general, I agree with you" part.

I've read several comments (either comments here, or as part of the CFC -- comic1.jpg) about weather issues, time constraints, etc., which helps to 'explain' the quality and quantity of entries. Not sure if that matters, etc., except we're a bunch of slackers, since we had weeks to do this ...

Anyway, first one: 16 entries, of which three were three spacejack (and/or collaborations) that I liked, plus 2 joke/gag pieces: calla's (original artwork) and j3's, so about 1/3. Do I like about 4 of 12 this time? Yeah, though only a couple of them have good 'production values'.

Voted by nebbish (4.00 / 4) #4 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:20:07 AM EST
Comic, Zombie and Apple Aztek.

I have to say, Zombie isn't just the best comic in the list, but maybe the best comic I've ever seen. After Watchmen.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Voted for by bob6 (4.00 / 4) #5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:51:50 AM EST
avftf for general art, nice drawing, good framing and a decent punchline.
comic because it efficiently delivers a statement about the art of comic "drawing" (framing is as important as drawing).
longmonth since it succeeds at elling a full story with fine drawings.

A pity we can only cast 3 votes; zombie is very good as well.

Cheers.
I voted by gazbo (4.00 / 4) #6 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:50:42 AM EST
WWvRMG - well, really I voted for WebWench's gigantic black cock, but the two are part and parcel.

luckypenny - nice "anti-moral".  The style VERY much reminds me of someone who I didn't even know posted any more.  Be interesting to see who this is.

deja joue - I liked the way it so easily told the story and delivered the punchline without words.

I liked... by motty (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:45:41 AM EST
avftf, longmonth and deja_joue best.

Was reminded a bit of this.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T