Print Story obsession
By calla (Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 04:12:09 PM EST) Split Enz, YouTube (all tags)
spacejack - I'm not sure if I should thank you or slap you for this.

I've spent the last week playing over and over the music videos on YouTube.

Who'd have figured that they'd have Split Enz videos.

Because the Enz didn't get much airplay on MTV or whatever other video shows we had back in the day, I'm catching up on my obsession with the guys from the land of hobbits.

I never got to see their vids much. I probably should have gone to New Zealand to see them. I read that the Finn bros. got OBE's for their musical contributions.

I'm posting links to a bunch of them, in case anyone else is a closet Enz fan.

Message to my girl

Six months in a leaky boat

I got you

Live:
One step ahead

Fire Drill

< Two things I'm not very good at | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
obsession | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I know, I know by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 04:17:52 PM EST
I lost hours and hours to YouTube this weekend. I just had to infect others with that addiction. I have to cut myself of- oooh hey, "I Got You"!!

My kids groan when I sit by calla (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 04:24:21 PM EST
at the computer and start playing Split Enz vids again. But I've been putting up with my daughter's obsession with "Full Metal Alchemist" on YouTube for the last month.

YouTube satisfies many different obsessions.

But seriously - thanks. Without your YouTube diary I wouldn't have my Enz.

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

Your choices by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 02:45:17 AM EST
will keep me @ that site for most of the weekend.

Between that and Azumanga Daioh, I'm screwed.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Scary and sweet. by calla (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 08:59:05 PM EST
That's been my deal with YouTube for about a week now.

I'm wasting so much time watching/I can't believe I've lived without these videos for so long

But you've got time to kill now, right?

Not really. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Aug 18, 2006 at 04:26:30 AM EST
I'm very busy, actually.  That's why I'm hardly at husi.

BUT I do enjoy my nostalgia hits!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

<jewish mother> by calla (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Aug 18, 2006 at 03:41:52 PM EST
Have you really had time to recover? It's only been a month.</jewish mother>

And since I'm being nosy - where's your sister-in-law? She was posting a lot, but hasn't posted in a while.

She's a lot of fun.

She's super busy, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 04:08:18 AM EST
and I think she worked through some cathartic stuff.  She posted a reent diary about music, though.  And yeah, she is a lot of fun.

It's been six weeks!  Well, it'll be six weeks on wednesday.  That's the cutoff, I get to start PT then.  I'm excited!
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

When I was a kid of 6 by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 06:08:50 PM EST
I used to spend a lot of time at the Skatel. I see red was played constantly. When I say constantly, I mean constantly. My memory of the skatel is entwined with Split Enz. I actually saw Split Enz play at Newcastle, probably in 89/90? They had some reform get together, maybe for the Newie earthquake.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Skatel - where is/was that? by calla (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 07:57:14 PM EST
Roller skating?

The Enz had a reunion tour in June this year through Australia. Even if I'd found out about it beforehand, I wouldn't have had the cash. ARgh.

Yeh a skating rink by cam (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 03:17:41 AM EST
The skatels would have an indoor and outdoor rink. I used to go there to skate and play arcade games.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I loved that one piece they did with with no vocal by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 03:02:38 AM EST
It was on the album that was black with some fluorescent colored design on it. What the hell was it?...

They had a few instrumental songs. by calla (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 10:56:40 AM EST
"The Choral Sea" and "Double Happy" - from True Colours
Take a look at a few of the different styles of covers with the link

"Wail" and "Albert Of India" - from Waiata

There's more, but I'm out of time. I'd put money on your song being "The Choral Sea".

I'm betting it was Double Happy by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #13 Sat Aug 19, 2006 at 01:53:35 PM EST
I found the covers via Wikipedia -- I remember the cover I was being more black, but I guess I saw the read and green one...

obsession | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback